6MT feeling super sluggish... - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 26th, 2004, 06:01 PM   #1
My AV6 is all gone...

Send a message via AIM to 6spdcoupe
6MT feeling super sluggish...

For the past few weeks my car has been feeling extremely weak. This has been on both warm and cool days, humidity high or low doesnt matter..

Current mods are only AEM V2 and Tanabe catback. I do however have alot of extra weight due to system and dampning, but it has been there the entire time for the most part. I do also have 18" rims (SSR GT1s), but again has been there.

At first I just figured, ok Im used to the car and Im just getting bored, but when certain cars are keeping up/passing me in which case didnt at all before then I know its an issue.

I did try resetting the ECU via disconeccting the neg battery terminal AND the other method of pulling the ECU Backup fuse. Neither of which changed anything (that Im aware of).

ANY help at all would be appreciated.

MODs...didnt know exactly where to place this category wise, as there are so many different possibilites. If a different location is preferred feel free to redirect.

--Don

'05 G35 Premium/Aero/Sport...
6spdcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 26th, 2004, 06:22 PM   #2
Satin Silver

dyno, not butt dyno

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

so.cal
UCLA FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT!!
chinoamigo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 26th, 2004, 10:04 PM   #3
293 of 540

Send a message via AIM to Synthetic599 Send a message via Yahoo to Synthetic599
What octane gas are you running?
Synthetic599 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old June 26th, 2004, 10:15 PM   #4
Formerly Known As...

Send a message via AIM to i4performance
Quote:
Originally posted by chinoamigo
dyno, not butt dyno

If it's as serious as you say it is, get a dyno. That way you know for sure and, if there is a great loss in power, you can take it to the dealer to get it fixed before it's too late.

By the way, did you happen to drive any real fast cars lately? I know that when I had my 4-cyl. Accord, I thought it was pretty quick (for a 4-cyl., atleast ) Then I took out my friend's 240hp 6-spd VW R32 and my car felt like a school bus for the next few weeks or so. I know you have a 6-spd so that chance is pretty slim unless you took out an M3 or something

Anyway, good luck and keep us posted!
i4performance is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 26th, 2004, 10:28 PM   #5
"Certified Hybrid Killer"

maybe you got a 4th gen maxima knock sensor in your accord

Plug in an OBD-II scanner and see if there's any pending codes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 GMC Yukon XL Denali (soon) | 2011 BMW 335i convertible (current) | 2007 Toyota RAV4 V6 Sport 4WD (sold to folks) | 1999 Nissan Maxima SE 5MT (sold) | 2001 Accord EX V6 (RIP 2002)

SteVTEC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 26th, 2004, 11:07 PM   #6

I felt the same way for the longest time about my car. It just seemes slow. Turns out I had been driving the car so much that I was completely use to how it performed. I went out to the track one night and ran my quickest time of [email protected] with my automatic.

Turns out the car was actually a touch quicker, but my butt dyno said otherwise.

dustin
Roadmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 26th, 2004, 11:48 PM   #7
My AV6 is all gone...

Running 93octane, with the occasional ultra 94. Full synthetic oil.

I will be going for another dyno, whenever UR gets off their a$$es and finishes the pullies.

Just gotta get my hands on OBDII scanner now. Although I am going for my new seats and shifter Thursday Im sure they can check for codes then correct?

--Don
Old June 27th, 2004, 12:26 AM   #8

Send a message via AIM to TopDecKer
How many miles have you been running on full synthetic? Only reason i ask is because when i got my car at the dealership, 6spd as well, i asked about what oil to use. I said something like full synthetic after blah blah blah. They told me that this car shouldn't use full synthetic oil for some reason. I forget what he told me to use, but it should be in the back of your owners manual under all the other kinds of fluids to use.
TopDecKer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 27th, 2004, 12:30 AM   #9
My AV6 is all gone...

Quote:
Originally posted by TopDecKer
How many miles have you been running on full synthetic? Only reason i ask is because when i got my car at the dealership, 6spd as well, i asked about what oil to use. I said something like full synthetic after blah blah blah. They told me that this car shouldn't use full synthetic oil for some reason. I forget what he told me to use, but it should be in the back of your owners manual under all the other kinds of fluids to use.
Its been running on it for approx 6K now. Thanks for the info though Ill be looking into it...

Steve, any input on this?

--don

Old June 27th, 2004, 07:56 AM   #10
"Certified Hybrid Killer"

I don't see any reason why the J30A4 shouldn't be able to run full synthetic. Some of the A1 guys do. There's no oil guru here, though. Go hit up bill at the org. The dealership is probably just blowing smoke like usual.
SteVTEC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 27th, 2004, 08:12 AM   #11

Manual doesn't say anything about not using full synthetic.
It just says if you do use synthetic you still should stick to the intervals as in manual(HELL NO! every 7500? NO!)
herzzreh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 27th, 2004, 09:33 PM   #12

Send a message via AIM to Shadytype
Don,

Give me a hollar on Aim, I will bring my coupe by (totally stock) and you can take it for a spin to see if it really feels different.

Also a friend has a scanner, I will see what I can do for you.
Shadytype is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 27th, 2004, 11:31 PM   #13
My AV6 is all gone...

Quote:
Originally posted by Shadytype
Don,

Give me a hollar on Aim, I will bring my coupe by (totally stock) and you can take it for a spin to see if it really feels different.

Also a friend has a scanner, I will see what I can do for you.
That would be perfect. But I never see you on AIM anymore...

--Don

Gimme a call if ya get a chance, I dont think I still have your number. 732-921-9046

Old July 4th, 2004, 04:11 AM   #14
cunning linguist

I am new to Accords (picked mine up today) but not new to cars. I looked at your mods list, and I would try to spray some electrical contact cleaner onto the thin wires in the MAF sensor. Many times the oil from the aftermarket filer will put a very thin coating on the wires. Just enough to effect performance a little bit.

Worth a shot, if nothing else, you know its not that.

-Brian

-Brian-
04 6spd Coupe-> 10 4cyl Coupe-> 11 V6 Coupe
07 V6 Auto Sedan-> 10 CR-V
Mod'd Z06 - Sold for move
MorePower4me is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 5th, 2004, 07:49 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally posted by MorePower4me on July 4th, 2004 at 06:11 AM

I am new to Accords (picked mine up today) but not new to cars. I looked at your mods list, and I would try to spray some electrical contact cleaner onto the thin wires in the MAF sensor. Many times the oil from the aftermarket filer will put a very thin coating on the wires. Just enough to effect performance a little bit.

-Brian
Where's the sensor?
Old July 6th, 2004, 06:43 AM   #16

my car sucks
HUNTER4112000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 8th, 2004, 10:59 AM   #17

Send a message via AIM to AV6on19s
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6spdcoupe
Running 93octane, with the occasional ultra 94. Full synthetic oil.

I will be going for another dyno, whenever UR gets off their a$$es and finishes the pullies.

Just gotta get my hands on OBDII scanner now. Although I am going for my new seats and shifter Thursday Im sure they can check for codes then correct?

--Don
Well, do not count on the UR doing anything anytime soon. I always call them to ask status and they give me the runaround with "prototyping". YEAAAA. Two years to prototype a damn crank pulley? Jesus! They need some crack-head motivation over there, I am dyin for a crank pulley!
Old July 8th, 2004, 12:09 PM   #18
My AV6 is all gone...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV6on19s
Well, do not count on the UR doing anything anytime soon. I always call them to ask status and they give me the runaround with "prototyping". YEAAAA. Two years to prototype a damn crank pulley? Jesus! They need some crack-head motivation over there, I am dyin for a crank pulley!

I agree 110% everytime I call they tell me about another 30 days....

Old July 8th, 2004, 12:55 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorePower4me

-Brian
seems like you're new to Honda's.
J30A4 doesn't use MAF, it uses MAP. so there is no wires to get dirty.

i believe there is only few models with K block are using MAF & MAP sensors, and those models only sold in California.
HONDA_99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 12th, 2004, 11:50 AM   #20

Don what was the outcome with the car? Did the dealer get any codes? Let me know if you need my accord.
Old July 12th, 2004, 12:06 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by herzzreh
Manual doesn't say anything about not using full synthetic.
It just says if you do use synthetic you still should stick to the intervals as in manual(HELL NO! every 7500? NO!)
I just ran a 5500 mile drain on Mobil1 5w30 (which is a full synthetic) and will be running between 7000-7500 miles on the next drain. I might do a filter change at 4k as well.

There is no reason not to use synthetic oil in this car as the benefits far outweigh the cost- which is only slightly more than normal oil

5 quarts of M1 is $18 at Walmart. 5 quarts of Penzoil or something comparable is around $8-10 and I go more than twice as long. Well I guess that actually makes it cheaper and better.

Yes, you can go more than 3000 miles, if you don't believe me do what I did and read all over bobistheoilguy.com (like Steve recommended) and read this: Mobil 1 Oil Study
Captal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 12th, 2004, 01:02 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captal
I just ran a 5500 mile drain on Mobil1 5w30 (which is a full synthetic) and will be running between 7000-7500 miles on the next drain. I might do a filter change at 4k as well.

There is no reason not to use synthetic oil in this car as the benefits far outweigh the cost- which is only slightly more than normal oil

5 quarts of M1 is $18 at Walmart. 5 quarts of Penzoil or something comparable is around $8-10 and I go more than twice as long. Well I guess that actually makes it cheaper and better.

Yes, you can go more than 3000 miles, if you don't believe me do what I did and read all over bobistheoilguy.com (like Steve recommended) and read this: Mobil 1 Oil Study
Oh, I never said I wouldn't go above 3000. I just quoted what the manual said.

Old July 12th, 2004, 03:07 PM   #23
My AV6 is all gone...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadytype
Don what was the outcome with the car? Did the dealer get any codes? Let me know if you need my accord.

No codes came up for them. I also checked myself and nothing.... Going back Wednesday as they only replaced one of my seats.

--Don

Old July 12th, 2004, 03:23 PM   #24

I am taking my car in on Wed, across the street from you.. at open road. I need an oil change, and I am going to have them fix a rattle and take care of my brake warpage. I also talked to them about a seat and a Honda rep will call me.... still haven't gotten a call.

Let me know if you want to do a comparo this weekend.
Old July 12th, 2004, 04:36 PM   #25
My AV6 is all gone...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadytype
I am taking my car in on Wed, across the street from you.. at open road. I need an oil change, and I am going to have them fix a rattle and take care of my brake warpage. I also talked to them about a seat and a Honda rep will call me.... still haven't gotten a call.

Let me know if you want to do a comparo this weekend.

LoL thats why I love my dealer....I told em I wanted new seats, they set an appointment.

Yea we can still compare, weather permitting of course...this rain is rediculous.

--don

Old July 12th, 2004, 05:38 PM   #26

no relief in sight for the rain...

I may have to go to your dealer depending on what happens at mine.
Old July 12th, 2004, 06:01 PM   #27
Honda/Acura Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Plumaccordcoupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopDecKer
Dealership

My manual (6th gen) says you can use full synthetic but to follow the same intervals (normal and severe) for regular oil. I've been using full synthetic for over 2 years in my car and have not run into any problems because of it. I change it around every 4000 miles since I don't drive that much (around 10k miles a year).

What brand of gas are you using 6spdcoupe?

Senior Moderator and Florida Co-Moderator

If you have any questions or need to report something, either PM me or if I am online, IM me.

July Calendar:
Plumaccordcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in