Intake upgrades .. how louder is it? - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 12th, 2004, 04:48 PM   #1

Intake upgrades .. how louder is it?

How much louder is an aftermarket performance intake?

I have a AV6 5AT Cpe, so I was thinking the intake upgrade should be good for at least a 15hp gain but I don't want to sacrifice my smooth silent engine during daily driving.

How loud are they from the inside?
Which one gives more power? I've heard so many brands/models out there and can't decide. Or is there something around the corner that I should wait for.

Anyone worried that any of these intakes have inferior filtering (a side effect of trying to boost air flow) causing additional engine wear and at the end loss of engine compression?

Basically I'm trying to see what I'm getting into and if there are any disadvatages.
Anything would help. Thanks.
Advertisement

Old July 12th, 2004, 04:53 PM   #2
"Certified Hybrid Killer"

- you're not going to gain 15hp from an intake on a 3.0L. somewhat less than that.
- it's stock volume until you get on it, then it's noticeably louder, but not annoyingly so
- jury is out on which one is the best. we need somebody to do a dyno shootout. same car, same dyno, same strapping session, same day, etc. that's the only way to know for sure.
- no need to worry about filtering
- also SEARCH

These threads are getting extremely repetetive and many of your questions have been discussed in great depth already. search to find the old threads.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 GMC Yukon XL Denali (soon) | 2011 BMW 335i convertible (current) | 2007 Toyota RAV4 V6 Sport 4WD (sold to folks) | 1999 Nissan Maxima SE 5MT (sold) | 2001 Accord EX V6 (RIP 2002)

SteVTEC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 12th, 2004, 06:49 PM   #3
God of Car

Send a message via AIM to i3igpete
http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/filters_test/2/

the testing of different filters.

cliffs notes: HKS filter is pure garbage garbage. apexi power filter flows the best AND traps the most.

Old July 12th, 2004, 07:25 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to f23a4_accordude
haha 15 hp from an intake!! i'd say 5-7 hp. On my old f23a4 motor, i gained 3 whp from a CAI. AHAHA....sigh....sad...
f23a4_accordude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 13th, 2004, 08:38 AM   #5

I Saw That The Aem V2 On Dyno Gave Out An Extra 15hp To 18hp On The Automatic 3.0 V6. Its At The Aem Website.
rocks03accord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 13th, 2004, 08:49 AM   #6
Formerly VTEC-v6!

They don't know how to interpret dyno results correctly. <=- Thats a period at the end by the way
Gone but not forgotten:
  • 2013 Honda Accord 4dr EX-L
  • 2002 Honda Accord 4dr EX-V6
  • 1999 Honda Accord 4dr LX
N54TT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 13th, 2004, 10:14 AM   #7
"Certified Hybrid Killer"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocks03accord
I Saw That The Aem V2 On Dyno Gave Out An Extra 15hp To 18hp On The Automatic 3.0 V6. Its At The Aem Website.
Please read this thread and then also search for numerous other intake threads here discussing the validity of those "gains" (especially the locked ones, lol) and then make whatever conclusion you want.

Not even a 5.7L GM LS1 V8 will gain that much power from an intake, so how the heck is a little import 3.0L?
SteVTEC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 13th, 2004, 11:06 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to f23a4_accordude
what he said.
f23a4_accordude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 14th, 2004, 02:00 AM   #9
I AM LOST....

Send a message via AIM to brex
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipribadi
How much louder is an aftermarket performance intake?

I have a AV6 5AT Cpe, so I was thinking the intake upgrade should be good for at least a 15hp gain but I don't want to sacrifice my smooth silent engine during daily driving.

How loud are they from the inside?
Which one gives more power? I've heard so many brands/models out there and can't decide. Or is there something around the corner that I should wait for.

Anyone worried that any of these intakes have inferior filtering (a side effect of trying to boost air flow) causing additional engine wear and at the end loss of engine compression?

Basically I'm trying to see what I'm getting into and if there are any disadvatages.
Anything would help. Thanks.
on what steve said..

I have not heard any company coming out with new intakes that would be another ground breaking technology... v2 was suppose to be the hot item.. and a lot of people swear by it (including me).. but i am sure you know YOU need to be the judge of all these information you can obtained by search - make a informative decision is much better than me telling you to get V2 and nothing else..

just too bad there haven't being any chance of anyone doing actual dyno of differnet intakes in scenerio steve said..

as for some of your questions...
1. they will definitely louder than your stock intake.. especially after certain rpm range and WOT as well.. to me.. louder the better..
2. if you buy brand name intakes (injen, aem).. they all comes with k&n.. which is supposely very good.. some people dispute that too.. but in general census.. k&n makes good filter..
3. i think only disadvantage would be noise.. try to go to local meets and have others with intake take you for a ride and judge for yourself if u can live with the noise...
brex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 14th, 2004, 11:47 AM   #10

Thanks y'all for the info and insight ..

Will do more research on whether these CAI's really do anything meaningful or not .. I guess for now it's up to me the individual to decide what to believe.

I would imagine that from the stock intake of the auto AV6, there would be "some" gains. The stock intake of the auto does look pretty restrictive.
For now, I'll just wait and see if >15hp (7%) max gains will ever be proven accurately.

Until then .. cheers!
Old July 14th, 2004, 11:52 AM   #11
Banned

Send a message via AIM to snikwad
im in a 4 day arguement with some dumby on another forum where he swears he can feel the difference the CAI alone makes, im like naw dude the sound is fooling you, you cant feel littel crap like 5-7 hp. but he's still going at me.

Last edited by snikwad; July 15th, 2004 at 06:18 AM..
snikwad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 14th, 2004, 07:47 PM   #12

I remember I thought the same thing when I got a CAI on my Integra GSR. I thought for sure I could "feel" the difference. I could definately hear the V-tech point, like someone flipped a switch. Whether or not the seat of the pants dyno effect was placebo or not, I do not know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snikwad
im in a 4 day arguement with some daumby on another forum where he swears he can feel the difference the CAI alonr make, im like naw dude the sound is fooling you, you cant feel littel carp liek 5-7 hp. but he's still going at me.

pharmb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 15th, 2004, 06:18 AM   #13
Banned

Naw dawg, its all in the mind.
Old July 15th, 2004, 08:02 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteVTEC
Please read this thread and then also search for numerous other intake threads here discussing the validity of those "gains" (especially the locked ones, lol) and then make whatever conclusion you want.

Not even a 5.7L GM LS1 V8 will gain that much power from an intake, so how the heck is a little import 3.0L?
So how are people drastically reducing their 1/4 mile times on an intake alone? 03LXV6Guy ran a 14.58 with an automatic- about 3-4 tenths faster than the stock autos. Stoner ran a 14.46 stock and 14.23 with just an intake.

This seems to be strong evidence than an intake is providing more than 5-7 horsepower.

As to the ability to "feel" the CAI alone- I don't think my car feels faster, but I can tell it's faster because my tires spin more through first and second gear than they used to. That's actually why I think 14 flat is possible with just a CAI and stickier tires.
Captal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 15th, 2004, 08:13 AM   #15
Banned

exactly captal, you see little things like that tire chirps where they werent before, but on the flip side, it could be your tires just wearing a little and giving up SOME grip. as for the gaining more than 5-7hp well, i wont totally knock it down, cause i know that there are some application where guys with E36 M3 gain like damn near 10hp at some points.

the thing with the peak gains with these things are the 5-7 hp gained may not necesarily be where the engine peaks, from most dynos ive seen the peak gain or 7 or so is a few hundred sometimes thousand of rpms off, where the engine's peak power is at, and then the gain at the engine's peak is like 4 hp.

a small drop in time like 03LXV6GUY can be attributed partly to a tad better launch since he may be gaining an extra 5 hp and 5 lb-ft of torque at 1000 rpm sooner giving a slightly better run. i mean cmon its 0.23 secs for Stoner's difference, you really think that because his intake is gaining more than the average, i dont.
Old July 15th, 2004, 08:53 AM   #16

.23 seconds is a huge amount of time to drop with just an intake IMO, you definitely can't do that just by launching better if you're already launching very well. 14.46 is one of the fastest times stock, you aren't dropping over 2 tenths of a second just by launching a little bit better. The same goes for 03LXV6Guy- 3-4 tenths is a huge improvement.
Captal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 15th, 2004, 09:08 AM   #17
Banned

true. i hear ya.
Old July 15th, 2004, 03:05 PM   #18
6MT

Send a message via AIM to SlayerGTR
Boost power: YES

But not much *End of discussion*

Now if somebody actually got a dyno of it then we can start talkin about the actual gains

SlayerGTR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in