Borla Too Quiet on my Auto AV6! - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 19th, 2004, 12:12 PM   #1
Hotness?!

Send a message via Yahoo to AccordEXGirl
Exclamation Borla Too Quiet on my Auto AV6!

Hey all!
I've had my Borla installed for about 3 months now...and since I'm so lazy, I'm finally posting this up to get your advice

Now I know some people were complaining about the Borla on the automatics so Borla redesigned it with a resonator? Is this correct?? Well, I dunno what the hell ppl were thinkin...cuz now you can't even tell I have an aftermarket exhaust!!! It sounds NOTHING like the Borla sound clips on this site (I know that was a 6spd, but still)...

So I guess what I'm trying to say is, could I just take my car to an exhaust shop and have them take out that resonator or pre-muffler or whatever it is?!?!

Any input/info. would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
14.681 @ 101.15 mph
::Redline Motorsport Member::
::91 Talon TSi AWD 5spd::
AccordEXGirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 19th, 2004, 12:14 PM   #2

If you take it out, it'll probably drone a lot and give you headaches.....
shockwave1111 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 19th, 2004, 12:17 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to bpmurr
I had one of the first ones so they sent me the resonator after I had already installed the exhaust. I really like the sound without it. In fact I still have the resonator in the box. Anyone want to buy it?
Interior
AVIC-D1, GT Floor mats, Italian leather shift boot, ebrake boot, and armrest cover
Exterior
Sequential Tail lights, Shorty Ant.

Former 03 6-spd Accord Owner
bpmurr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old July 19th, 2004, 12:23 PM   #4
Hotness?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpmurr
I had one of the first ones so they sent me the resonator after I had already installed the exhaust. I really like the sound without it. In fact I still have the resonator in the box. Anyone want to buy it?
So the resonator, is it that piece that is in the middle of the exhaust piping?! Looks like a little muffler??

Would it be possible to take it out??

14.681 @ 101.15 mph
Old July 19th, 2004, 12:36 PM   #5
Make Way for The Bad Guy!

Send a message via AIM to JoeySmallz
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccordEXGirl
So the resonator, is it that piece that is in the middle of the exhaust piping?! Looks like a little muffler??

Would it be possible to take it out??
You could have a muffler shop cut it out and weld a new pipe in it's place without the resonator. I would send you the piece that Borla originally shipped out with their systems with no resonator but I'm parting with Borla exhaust tomm. and that piece is included with it. Sorry . There might be maybe 2 members on here that have the orignal piece. Hondga and Bpmurr I think.

Last edited by x03BlackAccV6x; July 19th, 2004 at 12:38 PM..
JoeySmallz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 19th, 2004, 01:01 PM   #6

Take the 3rd cat out...
Curry619 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 19th, 2004, 03:03 PM   #7
member: stroppy moo club

Send a message via ICQ to bored&stroked Send a message via AIM to bored&stroked
Remove anything between the first cats on the motor and the mufflers in the back. Anything in between is just taking away noise....
bored&stroked is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 19th, 2004, 04:41 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to AV6on19s
Quote:
Hey all!
I've had my Borla installed for about 3 months now...and since I'm so lazy, I'm finally posting this up to get your advice

Now I know some people were complaining about the Borla on the automatics so Borla redesigned it with a resonator? Is this correct?? Well, I dunno what the hell ppl were thinkin...cuz now you can't even tell I have an aftermarket exhaust!!! It sounds NOTHING like the Borla sound clips on this site (I know that was a 6spd, but still)...

So I guess what I'm trying to say is, could I just take my car to an exhaust shop and have them take out that resonator or pre-muffler or whatever it is?!?!

Thanks!
I think mine is too quiet as well, I am removing the 3rd cat, right before the Borla, hopefully that will help!
AV6on19s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 19th, 2004, 05:02 PM   #9
Hotness?!

Thanks guys!!

Tom, are you sayin remove them all?! haha...all I know is the one right in the middle is always scrapin driveways, etc...it really irritates me!

Um here are 2 pics...lemme know everything I should remove LOL

This is the one that p!sses me off... This is the one I can remove, right?

And I apologize in advance for askin such stupid questions

14.681 @ 101.15 mph
Old July 19th, 2004, 05:49 PM   #10

Send a message via AIM to AV6on19s
I am talking of the 1 catalytic converter. Right where your Borla cat-back starts, it bolts up to a cat. There are another 2 right off each side of the exhaust manifold, but I dont reccomend taking those off, actually I dont even know if you can (well most likely but u know). There is a straight pipe off ebay for like $60 shipped, its not too much $ so Im gonna get it and try it out soon. This week actually!
AV6on19s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 19th, 2004, 05:54 PM   #11

Nice wheels!

my eye is drawn to more than one thing on your pics but nice wheels!

Quote:
Hey all!

Thanks!
pdqgp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 19th, 2004, 08:34 PM   #12
you gotta rub to dub!

Send a message via AIM to relentless
I would remove the suitcase looking resonator and leave the tube style resonator alone to prevent droning.
relentless is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 19th, 2004, 09:30 PM   #13

Send a message via AIM to bpmurr
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqgp
my eye is drawn to more than one thing on your pics but nice wheels!
I'm with you on that bro.

AccordEXGirl,
On a serious note you should be able to purchase the piece from Borla directly.
Interior
AVIC-D1, GT Floor mats, Italian leather shift boot, ebrake boot, and armrest cover
Exterior
Sequential Tail lights, Shorty Ant.

Former 03 6-spd Accord Owner
bpmurr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 19th, 2004, 09:53 PM   #14
mog

Unhappy

Quote:
Hey all!

Thanks!
Your sig says you are getting slower...is this because of the borla?
mog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 19th, 2004, 10:09 PM   #15
Hotness?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mog
Your sig says you are getting slower...is this because of the borla?
Haha I have no idea...I went to the track sometime after the exhaust was installed and ran real crappy (it was also 40 + degrees hotter than my personal best shown in my sig...), I was quite disappointed.

To the rest of you all...thanks for the info!! I really appreciate it!! I plan on takin care of this sometime next week, I believe.

You may continue offering suggestions too!

14.681 @ 101.15 mph
Old July 20th, 2004, 01:38 PM   #16

Send a message via AIM to Ursus
You should sell the Borla and get a Tanabe
Ursus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 21st, 2004, 12:52 AM   #17
I feel da need 4 6-speeds

Send a message via ICQ to flyvtec Send a message via AIM to flyvtec Send a message via Yahoo to flyvtec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursus
You should sell the Borla and get a Tanabe
So how are those Tanabe's doing? You've had them for a while now right? Updates on sound, droning, performance? I like how they look on the coupe...
flyvtec is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 21st, 2004, 05:41 PM   #18

Send a message via AIM to Ursus
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyvtec
So how are those Tanabe's doing? You've had them for a while now right? Updates on sound, droning, performance? I like how they look on the coupe...
They are quite amazing, the sound is low and deep. They are not that loud either. No droning whatsoever when I drive 80-90 mph back n' forth from LA to SD. Performance wise, at first I noticed this "shifting lag" during the first week, it seems like the car is getting use to its new "breathing device" what I mean is that when the trasmission is shifting from 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 3rd gear, the rpms reaches higher than usual before it shifts to the next gear. But I noticed that the lagging thing is alot better now. The major perfomance gain would be at the high speed (>80mph), the intake sux hella air and they just go out smoothly while the engine soars its way through Interstate 5. I would get a dyno for you guys but then I've never done the stock dyno so I wouldn't know exactly how much I gained from the Injen/Tanabe combo. And yes they look VERY nice on the coupe
Ursus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 21st, 2004, 06:37 PM   #19
Nothing special

Send a message via AIM to blu6speed
Does anyone have both the premuffler and the resonator removed? If so, are there any droning problems?
blu6speed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 24th, 2004, 11:02 AM   #20

Send a message via Yahoo to duman
one word "MAGNAFLOW" i love it sounds great when you put your foot in it and not bad on long drives. MAGNAFLOW
duman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 25th, 2004, 07:20 AM   #21
rice?..not my car...EH!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by duman
one word "MAGNAFLOW" i love it sounds great when you put your foot in it and not bad on long drives. MAGNAFLOW
Yes magnaflow! you can barely hear it when cruising on the highway.

One other thing....those that have taken out the third cat, is the exaust louder? is their any noticable power gains? and most importanly to those who know how would it effect emisions? I believe it still should be o.k because it has three cats allready.

To bad we can't replace the exaust man/cat with a header like I saw in an article they did on the sentra. The sentra has the exaust man/cat all in one as well, and when they replaced it with a header they gain 15whp! If we could do the same we probably would get 20-25whp out!!
S.A.M6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 25th, 2004, 09:44 AM   #22
Make Way for The Bad Guy!

Send a message via AIM to JoeySmallz
From what I've heard the Magnaflows droned pretty bad and they also weren't holding up too well
JoeySmallz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 25th, 2004, 01:33 PM   #23

[IMG]c:\windows\desktop\forum reply.jpg[/IMG]

Remove these 2 resonators and you'll get the sound you have been wanting.

When honda designed the car, they wanted a potent vehicle that still had a smooth and QUIET ride.

The factory resinators were designed to pre-muffle the exhaust flow so the actuall mufflers don't have to work as hard. The stock mufflers have a hi flow semi straight design so are incapable of handling the job alone, they need the help of the resonater to do the job.

I don't know what they mean by droning. The only thing I can think of is it quiets down at higher rpm. You can thank the cats for that. Just about every straight through muffler will do that on the accord V6. But I garuntee your exhaust will still sound a hell of a lot better. You also have to think, it is a duel exhaust, both mufflers are only getting half the flow.

It looks like you already removed a cat. When and if you remove the resinators, have a mufller shop cut out the section between the 3rd cat and the last resinator and weld in a straight pipe. That will eliminate the bends and interior piping weld thus improving flow.

I've got a csutom duell exhaust setup with both the resinators removed and she grumbles deep all the way up to 6k RPMs.

PM if you have any other ?.
v6spd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 25th, 2004, 01:48 PM   #24

The oval shaped one and the long cylindar shaped one from both pics.
v6spd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 25th, 2004, 06:44 PM   #25
Guam, U.S. of A.

No one word... GREDDY!

I did experiance some lag at first but after a few days of driving around I guess the ECU adjusted to the Greddy Evo 2 exhaust system and the car just feels stronger especially in the upper range.

D R E W is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 6th, 2004, 12:39 AM   #26

im thinking about getting the borla, but i sure dont want it to be quiet on my auto. any updates from ppl doing the straight pipe?
deuzezwild is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 6th, 2004, 12:54 PM   #27

Is borla really quiet?
As quiet as stock exhaust system?
How much does borla exhaust system increase the hp and torque?
I want to buy it if it's really quiet.
platanus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 6th, 2004, 01:17 PM   #28

you WANT to buy it if it's quiet? WHY!? if you're doing it just for power, there are WAY better ways to spend your money.
Old September 7th, 2004, 01:20 PM   #29

deuzezwild, can u suggest me things that I can do?
platanus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 7th, 2004, 02:00 PM   #30

lighten your wheels, for SURE. maybe some ecu stuff, esp. if you have an auto. wait a bit for the comptech supercharger and potential turbos. get the unorthodox racing pullies definetly when they come out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in