Run without mufflers? - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 31st, 2004, 11:07 AM   #1
Nothing special

Send a message via AIM to blu6speed
Run without mufflers?

Has anyone run their cars without mufflers just for the hell of it? I see so many VWs with the vr6 motors running without them and they sound great, I cant help but wonder what our engines would sound like. Def not an every day mod, Im sure the sound would annoy most people, but it may be fun for a day at the track.
blu6speed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 1st, 2004, 11:38 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Sticmann Send a message via Yahoo to Sticmann
I cut my resonator and pre muffler and replaced it wit a straight pipe and my car sounds g35 ish....I like the sound but I still want my greddy evo 2
Sticmann is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 1st, 2004, 11:50 PM   #3

i am installing an exhaust cut out that you can put in front of your resonator and run when ever you want with out the pipes. you can buy it from summitracing.com its amazing its perfect for when you want wide open with out exhaust with out making it a permanent mod to your car.
polov8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old August 2nd, 2004, 08:15 AM   #4
Nothing special

Sticmann, can you tell me if there is any droining after you removed the premuffers and the resonators? Especially on the interstate. This is def a mod that I want to get done, I just have to find a good shop to do it. If you dont mind me asking, how much did it set you back to have the pieces removed and replaced with straigh pipes?

Polov8, I have considered an option similar to this...I was thinking of punching on of my mufflers, and leaving one stock, then installing the piece from summit racing that would allow me to switch between the muffled side and the punched side. My only reservations are that I think our engines require a certian amount of back pressure. If we ran wide open I think we would loose alot of low end torque, and maybe hp through out the range.
Old August 2nd, 2004, 08:34 AM   #5
Die-Hard Enthusiast!!

Send a message via AIM to Sick6speed Send a message via Yahoo to Sick6speed
I removed the pre-muffler and resonator pieces and had them put in my e-bay high flow cat and 2.5 inch piping all the way to the mufflers. I don't here any droning at all. It sounds real clean to my surprise as well. I am definetly going to get some new mufflers but this will tide me over untill I decide which one I really want!!! I have thought about running the car completely uncorked but I won't because on my last car I did that alot and I ended up burning out the cat and It sounded nasty but loud. I wouldn't reccomend doing this imo!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
818 Weekly Meet&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">
Sick6speed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 2nd, 2004, 03:40 PM   #6
Nothing special

Thanks Sick6Speed, you have made up my mind. Cut those bad boys out! and leave the stock mufflers till I have the bank to upgrade to a full aftermarket system.
Old August 2nd, 2004, 08:41 PM   #7
God of Car

Send a message via AIM to i3igpete
YEAH! screw the hippies! there's no such thing as global warming! there's no such thing as the hole in the ozone layer!

yes, these truths have been discussed many times over by professors and nobel laureates. it has even been said in the mass media by top gear, air date 2004.7.25.

check out the book "global warming and other eco-myths". one of the articles is written by a PHd guy with a nobel laureate!

Last edited by i3igpete; August 2nd, 2004 at 08:51 PM..
i3igpete is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 2nd, 2004, 08:50 PM   #8
Nothing special

eh our cars burn so clean, you do more damage to the ozone with a taco-bell induced fart
Old August 3rd, 2004, 01:38 AM   #9
member: stroppy moo club

Send a message via ICQ to bored&stroked Send a message via AIM to bored&stroked
The O2 sensors, computer, and 2 cats connected directly to the engine do a pretty good job of cleaning up the exaust
98 GMC 1500- so low, so sweet. Daily driver #1.
06 CBR600F4i- freakin rocket ship. Daily #2.

Disclaimer- I can't spell correctly to save my life.
bored&stroked is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 3rd, 2004, 02:01 AM   #10
I AM LOST....

Send a message via AIM to brex
if I get one of those straight pipe replacing 3rd cat and get one of those "switch-able" cut-out pipe.. will i see any gain?

with the switch-able cut-out pipe.. i can go back to borla -back when i need some quite time.. or when i want fart-can noise i switch on cut-out pipe..
brex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 3rd, 2004, 06:50 PM   #11
rice?..not my car...EH!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bored&stroked
The O2 sensors, computer, and 2 cats connected directly to the engine do a pretty good job of cleaning up the exaust
There is one thing I never understood about the guvernment. We have to have 3 bloody catyl con. on our accord wich get like avr 25miles to the gallon mean while an suv that burns twice the feul wich means alot more pollution in the air will have the same or less amount of catyl con. I thnk cars that poluute less should have fewer restictions.
S.A.M6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 3rd, 2004, 11:19 PM   #12

Yes the summit racing cut out is designed with wing nuts on one model so that when you want wide open exhaust you just unscrew the wingnuts. or the other version which they sell that has a cable that you switch and it chooses which direction you want the exhaust to flow.
polov8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 4th, 2004, 12:50 AM   #13
I AM LOST....

hmm.. i had look up this thing for last couple days and found many other similiar designs.. some even got electronic gate..

a question i have tho.. when the gate is closed.. wouldn't some air still goes into that direction and sort of end up being "clogged" at that spot?.. and when gate is opened, they might still skip the gate right? since there is nothing stop them from going to the original muffler?

I found this...

http://www.pfyc.com/store/merchant.m...ory_Code=GPEXH
Old August 4th, 2004, 01:55 AM   #14
God of Car

Send a message via AIM to i3igpete
when it is closed, you do not really care if gasses get "trapped". you're in quiet mode, puttering around town. if you wanted to go fast, you wouldn't be in this mode, now would you?

when it is open, yes, there will be gasses going to the original muffler, but think of it as the path of least resistance. very few gasses will be going to the stock muffler, that they won't even see it as a resistance. in fact, it will flow better than if 100% went to the cutout. think of it in electrical terms and the piping as resistors.

Last edited by i3igpete; August 4th, 2004 at 01:58 AM..
i3igpete is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 4th, 2004, 04:06 PM   #15
Nothing special

i3igpete is correct, the escaping gases will choose the path of least resistence. What ever small amount of gases go through the mufflers shouldnt have any effects
Old August 4th, 2004, 05:16 PM   #16
I AM LOST....

i see.. I had original thought they would use a flap within the pipe to control where gas would go..

anyone wanna try it?
Old August 10th, 2004, 09:21 PM   #17
fonda my honda

Send a message via AIM to tx03coupe
a buddy of mine put a y-pipe on his 3000gt (non vr-4) it had a swinging door inside the pipe that the driver moved via the typical cable pull. when he opened it up, that thing was really loud!
tx03coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in