CAI and/or Cat-back on V6 AT? - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 7th, 2004, 09:17 PM   #1
ex scientia vera

CAI and/or Cat-back on V6 AT?

My first thread...so go easy on me. I'm also new to the forum and in my new Accord Coupe (only 600 miles).

I have a V6 AT and I am wondering what a CAI and exhaust would do the the gas mileage. I assume that you are only using power that is there but being wasted. Are my assumptions wrong?

Also, are there any specific exhausts that would be better for an automatic transmission? I know, I know...get a manny tranny. I would but I just sold my 5-speed Pontiac (tired of the shifting for now).

Thanks in advance for the help!!!
kramer2k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 8th, 2004, 12:00 AM   #2
I AM LOST....

Send a message via AIM to brex
Lol.. congrats.. you just pick one of the most debated topic..

my quick answer is.................performance mods generally should make gas mileage better... if you're able to keep the same driving style as before you had these performance mods..

welcome to the board!!...
brex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 8th, 2004, 07:21 AM   #3
I Pull Wire

Send a message via MSN to IvtecV6_ACCORD
If you can keep from flooring it, you should get better gas milage. But who would really do that once you got the V2 and a nice catback installed
and go for the AT you'll like it. Welcome aboard
IvtecV6_ACCORD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old August 8th, 2004, 08:23 AM   #4
ex scientia vera

Thanks for the quick replies....you guys are good

So as far as the brand of catback goes....it doesn't matter? I didn't know if one was better than the other for an automatic (since I can't quite tweak each gear as good as most of you can).
Old August 10th, 2004, 09:42 PM   #5
fonda my honda

Send a message via AIM to tx03coupe
i'm sure someone on here will disagree with me, but from what i've read the borla is the best bang for the buck (magnaflow supposedly has rust issues) and the all out no.1 catback is the greddy evo2. as far as the cai goes, it's also my opinion (that i'm SURE will be beaten to the ground) that the injen gives the most bang for the buck for cai. the aem v2 is about $100 more i think.
tx03coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 11th, 2004, 09:23 AM   #6
14.58 =Quickest Gen7 auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by tx03coupe
it's also my opinion that the injen gives the most bang for the buck for cai.
I'm not sure if it's the very most, but it certainly gave a very big bang for the investment, imo. My car responded amazingly well to my addition of the Injen CAI.
03LXV6Guy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 12th, 2004, 01:11 AM   #7

When I got my AEM CAI, my mpg shot DOWN a lot... before i usually got in the range of 22-26, and now I consistently get around 15-18... but i do admit i drive a lil more aggressive..... but still.....

thank god gas prices have gone down a lil bit in chicago...
now premium is 2.16 for octane 93...
used to be like 2.60... blah.
azntiger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 12th, 2004, 01:25 AM   #8
"Certified Hybrid Killer"

I seriously doubt a cat-back exhaust would improve mileage. It MURDERS mileage on the 6th gen cars. A CAI "might" help, a little, as long as you're not trying to hear it all the time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 GMC Yukon XL Denali (soon) | 2011 BMW 335i convertible (current) | 2007 Toyota RAV4 V6 Sport 4WD (sold to folks) | 1999 Nissan Maxima SE 5MT (sold) | 2001 Accord EX V6 (RIP 2002)

SteVTEC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 12th, 2004, 05:49 AM   #9
14.58 =Quickest Gen7 auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by azntiger
When I got my AEM CAI, my mpg shot DOWN a lot... before i usually got in the range of 22-26, and now I consistently get around 15-18... but i do admit i drive a lil more aggressive..... but still.....
03LXV6Guy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 12th, 2004, 07:11 AM   #10

Send a message via AIM to Shadytype
neither-save the money to get a new tranny for the car...

on a serious note, I would suggest a CAI. I think JC whitney had the first gen AEM CAI's on sale for about $100. They are cheap now because the V2 came out.

Depending on your personal taste, an exhaust can become bothersome in the case where it drones along at a constant speed. This is not the case of an intake because it is rare where you can drive around fully accelerating all the time.
Shadytype is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 12th, 2004, 09:07 AM   #11

unless you're me.
deuzezwild is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 12th, 2004, 12:27 PM   #12
I'm still not 21.

Send a message via AIM to BConly
i have the aem v1 cai and it sounds and performs just like the injen from what i can tell. And its cheaper.

Steve... i'm not mechanic but I think the reason the cat backs tend to lose mpg is because you lose a little low end torque which is needed for every day driving, therefore you have to rev the car slightly higher to accelerate at the same rate off a stop light that you were before you got the cat back. how's that sound??
BConly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 12th, 2004, 12:39 PM   #13

Send a message via AIM to Ursus
Quote:
Originally Posted by tx03coupe
the all out no.1 catback is the greddy evo2.
Awww, you just picked up a debate!JK, What about Tanabe???
Ursus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 12th, 2004, 06:22 PM   #14
Make Way for The Bad Guy!

Send a message via AIM to JoeySmallz
I'd pick Tanabe over Borla if Greddy wasn't an option
JoeySmallz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 12th, 2004, 07:27 PM   #15

greddy is the best IMO.
Old August 12th, 2004, 09:38 PM   #16
Guam, U.S. of A.

Exclamation

kramer2k

Gas mileage is depended on your driving habits and what kind of driving you do... a lot of city driving or freeway/highway or both. Let's not forget temperature, humidity, and other crap that causes good/bad gas mileage. There are a lot of factors to consider...

Now as for the cold air intake and aftermarket cat-back exhaust systems. Yes, your gas mileage should improve but don't expect a big improvement in gas mileage or even in performance. These minor bolt ons seem to work well for the 5spd Automatic V6 Accords because the stock intake system is restrictive compared to the sports tuned intake system on the 6spd MT Accord V6 Coupe and the ability to control the amount of work the engine has to put out with the 6spd transmission.

There are several companies that have an aftermarket cat-back exhaust system available for the V6 Accord Coupe. The V6 Accord Sedan has less options/choices.

Greddy, Tanabe, Magnaflow, & Borla all have aftermarket cat-back exhaust systems available now. Checkout this thread concerning cat-back exhaust system comparisons

V6Performance.net Forum - Exhaust System Comparison *video*

There are several video clips of members showboating their exhaust systems. All of the members on the video clips have either the AEM CAI or the Racing Division Injen CAI in addition to the aftermarket cat-back exhaust system. The CAI seems to drown out the exhaust after a certain RPM so if you want to skip on the exhaust system the CAI alone will give you the sound your looking for but an exhaust system fills in where the CAI does not. Everyone has their own opinion on which brand is better. The problem is no one has actually spent the money to get their mods dynoed so therefore we don't know which exhaust or cai is the best bang for the buck and which mods is actually producing the gains the manufactor claims to put out.

If you want some good deals on these exhaust systems buy online! You'll get ripped a new one trying to order one thru your local aftermarket/import shop. Do a search online for the best prices.

The best price I found for the AEM V2 was from RPMmotoring.com ($248 shipped). If you decide to get the Injen CAI since it's a lot cheaper in price over AEM be sure to get the Racing Division CAI.

Well it's really up to you... no... it's really up to how deep your wallet is. Since your a newbie here is some advice when it comes to suping up the ride... trust me you won't regret following these simple advices and I may have already saved you the embarassment:

1. Do a SEARCH on this forum because all the questions you probably have for us has been with no doubt already answered!
2. If you have a Coupe please........ please stay away from chrome wheels and anything larger than 19in rims. Unless you want to be laughed at and insulted. Just follow the simple equation: Coupe = Sporty / Sedan = bling bling is okay
3. Say NO to altezzas
4. Lower the car before adding larger rims and smaller profile tires... refer to advice # 1 when it comes to selecting which wheels & tires will work for the 7th Gen. Accord
5. If you want your car to go faster you should have either gotten the 6spd MT V6 Accord or gotten something other than the Honda Accord.
6. If you got something to show us you better have pics for us to see. Us guys like looking at pics of cars, foods, and girls. Keep it clean tho! Since the girl to guy ratio is like 2 to 92384983240932 on this forum us guys assume the ladies like the same...
7. After you've done all you can with your car... your suped up g-ride is still an Honda Accord.
8. If your going to ask us our opinions expect some really... really... really bad, negative & and probably uncalled for opinions. Opinions are like a*sholes... everyone has one.
9. If your thrown in jail for reckless driving, get pulled over for speeding, and or killed innocent people, Bambi, etc. because of your reckless driving do not expect any sympathy from anyone of us. Your responsible for your own actions. Now go watch that Exhaust video comparisons because I'll be eating my own words since I'm the black coupe w/ the Greddy Evo 2 running down a public street at a stupid speed. I did it in love for you guys! BTW, don't forget to post your kill stories in the V6 vs. All (street racing) forum.
10. Again... it's still an Honda Accord. You should of gotten the 350Z or every Accord V6 owners wet dream the G35 Coupe w/ the 6spd MT.

Don't hate the player... hate the game! Oh yeah... welcome to V6Performance.net!
D R E W is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 12th, 2004, 10:05 PM   #17

daym. that's good advice right there. and yeah, the VQ powerplant on the nissan and infiniti is awesome. my friend's got a g35 auto. *drool* but uhm, accord pride?
Old August 12th, 2004, 11:00 PM   #18
fonda my honda

Send a message via AIM to tx03coupe
accord pride by buttocks! if i could i'd dump the 7th gen for a g35 in a heartbeat.
tx03coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 13th, 2004, 01:13 AM   #19

as would most of us.
Old August 13th, 2004, 12:56 PM   #20
ex scientia vera

Talking Thanks for the write-up

D R E W

Thanks for the write-up...you put a little time in to that. I'll keep your suggestions in mind. This is my first nice car so I wasn't looking for something really bad***. I"m just trying to get the most out of my AT and have a little fun while I do so. I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy it!!!!

Thanks again...

Oh yeah....this forum fu**ing ROCKS
Old August 13th, 2004, 02:13 PM   #21
I AM LOST....

Send a message via AIM to brex
Wow.. DREW.. great writeup as usual!!
brex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in