Yeah, about wrapping your intake tube... - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 23rd, 2004, 12:26 PM   #1
_

Yeah, about wrapping your intake tube...

I've noticed that my injen intake tube can get quite warm and I want to wrap it with some turbo type exhasut wrap. I know there are sleeves and tape and actual material to wrap around, but what is the difference? I want to get something that will do the job, but I don't know if I need the really expensive million degree proof stuff. Anyone had experience with wrapping their intake tube and know what I should or shoudln't use. Also, does anyone know if their car makes a clicking noise from under the Honda valve cover on the V6. I think that is where the noise is coming from. I thought at first something was wrong with my belt, but it is coming from above the engine, under that plate I believe. Is it supposed to be doing that? It's nothing crazy bad or loud sounding, but there is some extra clicking going on. Is that not normal? It needs to go in anyway, but I wonder if it is something significant, maybe related to my malfunction indicator light......hmmm.........any advice?
0430Steve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 23rd, 2004, 04:42 PM   #2
I Pull Wire

Send a message via MSN to IvtecV6_ACCORD
My V2 doesn't really get hot at all, even after a long drive. But we haven't had a very hot summer here either so, who knows. I don't think it is really nescessary to wrap your intake though. Never heard of that one before. As far as the clicking it could be just the valves, might need adjusting. How many miles on your ride????
IvtecV6_ACCORD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 23rd, 2004, 07:08 PM   #3
_

Well, I know turbo applications use wrap a lot because of the heat. On the intake and exhaust sides, but I just want it cause I know my Injen metal tube gets seriously hot. I know the flow of air wouldn't be severely heated up from this, but I think it couldn't hurt, but if it's pointless I won't do it. I only have 8500 miles on it.

Old August 23rd, 2004, 10:05 PM   #4
mog

I think some dynamat around the tube should dampen the noise. It shouldnt even have to be on every single inch of the tube. Just a good portion.
mog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 23rd, 2004, 11:06 PM   #5
I AM LOST....

Send a message via AIM to brex
wouldn't that make the intake even hotter?
brex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 23rd, 2004, 11:45 PM   #6
mog

Quote:
Originally Posted by brex
wouldn't that make the intake even hotter?

Hmm...i'm not sure...but think about those soda can styrofoam wraps. Add a layers of air insulation. The dynamat would do the same...although dynamat is kinda dense, wouldnt be as good of a insulation.
mog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 24th, 2004, 04:32 AM   #7

also think about those travel coffee mugs that are supposed to keep your coffee hotter longer; and i think those just have insulation too. . .aside from those crazy ones u plug into your power outlet in your car.
Ducky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 24th, 2004, 08:26 AM   #8

Wrap on an intake is going to be a waste of time- exhaust can get up to hundreds of degrees (700+? I'm not sure, that may just be for motorcycles) where as intake air might get up to a hundred degrees. Wha'ts the point?
Captal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 24th, 2004, 10:14 AM   #9

DEI who makes header wrap material also makes an air intake wrap kit. Here is link:

http://www.designengineering.com/pro...sp?m=sp&pid=33
Scott Si is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 24th, 2004, 10:32 AM   #10
The New Guy

I wrapped my old intake with ThermoTec heat tape, it did make a noticeable difference. If my new AEM wasn't so pretty, I'd definitely do it again. It's heat resistent to 200 degrees, and dropped my IAT readings a good 15-20 degrees (about 5 degrees higher than ambient at all times).

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...2&N=120 301923
SpeedRacer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 24th, 2004, 01:39 PM   #11

wow- I really don't understand how it could make that much of a difference- perhaps moreso on a shortram than a CAI
Captal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 24th, 2004, 02:43 PM   #12
The New Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captal
wow- I really don't understand how it could make that much of a difference- perhaps moreso on a shortram than a CAI
Actually it's the complete opposite. A SR is sucking in hotter air, so you're only keeping the already hot air hot. However a CAI is sucking in cooler air, so you can keep it cool.
SpeedRacer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 24th, 2004, 07:06 PM   #13

I too think it was extremelly stupid that the Injen has to be "Bling-Bling" chrome. The Callaway induction system on my Z28 is made of ABS plastic. First it doesn't get very hot. Second when i place a bag of ice on the intake what ever heat is present goes away very fast. The Injen just gets hot and stays hot. Once, at the track I could hardly touch the damn thing up around the throttle body because of the amount of heat present.

I say a plastic tube would have been much better for performance applications.

Dustin
Roadmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 25th, 2004, 08:52 AM   #14

I agree with plastic. Plastic is a better heat inductor, it keep your intake temp closer to ambient.
It would be cheaper too I suppose! ... full CAI setup for <$100 that outperforms the metal $200ish ones ?
ipribadi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 4th, 2004, 12:38 AM   #15

Plastic would be good, I think that carbon fibre is the best material for an intake. You can be ghetto like me and wrap your intake with a $10 heat shield for your dryer duct, it's "stretchable" (couldn't find a better word) I noticed it kept the intake a little cooler. Or you can spray your intake with primer then high themp ceramic paint. You have a polished intake right?...
andreivtec is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 4th, 2004, 01:41 AM   #16
_

Yeah, it's polished. I wish they made an icebox, or someone like Iceman made a plastic tube. I want to get a V2 for the performance, but something that will stay cool under the hood. That metal Injen tube gets damn hot, sucks.
Old September 4th, 2004, 09:53 PM   #17

Get a company to make you a custom carbon fibre intake, using the injen as a model.
Old September 5th, 2004, 01:04 PM   #18

www.emachineshop.com you can download their software design a product and have them build it out of any material, check it out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in