$0 DIY mod good for volume and maybe 1-4 HP - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 4th, 2004, 04:04 PM   #1

$0 DIY mod good for volume and maybe 1-4 HP

To meet EPA noise guidelines, Honda stuck on a resonator box in front of the air filter. This reduces noise, and of course limits air flow. If you've put on a CAI, you've probably already taken the resonator box off, but if not, this is a very simple mod that only takes about 10 minutes to do.

Underneath the car, below the air filter box, there is an oddly shaped pipe about 3" diameter. You'll have to remove one panel to get to it. Take this pipe off. You'll enjoy a fractional gain in performance, and a very noticable increase in the quality and volume of engine sound around 3000+rpm. Makes it sound deeper/throatier, which IMHO is good.

If you've installed a CAI and didn't take the resonator box off, shame on you. It's cutting your airflow! :}
Galen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 4th, 2004, 07:31 PM   #2
6MT

Send a message via AIM to SlayerGTR
got piC?
SlayerGTR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 4th, 2004, 07:48 PM   #3

Huh? To meet EPA noise guidlines?

I don't understand. Are you saying that if it weren't for this resonator box, the car wouldn't have met EPA noise guidelines?

DaveDB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old September 4th, 2004, 07:54 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to Accord_V6_400m
Yes the Environmental Protection Agency is against noise pollution
Accord_V6_400m is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 4th, 2004, 08:06 PM   #5

yeah, i did that. i highly approve. and to make it quasi-CAI, i added the straight pipe that came before the resonator box where the angled pipe used to be. much yummy. unfortunately i had a really tough time getting that curved piece out (couldn't get that mounting bracket off) and so its still in there, attached with duct tape. <3.
deuzezwild is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 4th, 2004, 08:37 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accord_V6_400m
Yes the Environmental Protection Agency is against noise pollution
I know what EPA stands for.

What I don't understand is, is Galen saying that if Honda didn't put the resonator on the car, there would be excessive noise pollution as a result? I mean, obviously this wouldn't be the case, but this is what it sounds like he's saying. I just don't get it.

Nevermind.
Old September 4th, 2004, 08:47 PM   #7
J30A1 => J30A5 => K24Z3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDB

What I don't understand is, is Galen saying that if Honda didn't put the resonator on the car, there would be excessive noise pollution as a result? I mean, obviously this wouldn't be the case, but this is what it sounds like he's saying. I just don't get it.

Nevermind.
Our cars are extremely loud without the resonator. The resonator is there to make the car quieter on the outside. When I removed my resonator for the first time, I didn't notice much more engine noise inside the car just a deeper, meaner engine note. It wasn't until my friend heard me racing someone from nearly a mile away that I realized how much louder the car was on the outside.
TH23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 4th, 2004, 09:00 PM   #8

No kiddin'? Huh. Ya learn somethin' here every day. I honestly didn't know that the resonator was cutting down the noise by that much! Thanks for explaining.
Old September 4th, 2004, 09:04 PM   #9
keepin' it OG

Send a message via AIM to Kiet
pictures?
Kiet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 4th, 2004, 09:32 PM   #10

Send a message via AIM to Accord_V6_400m
Quote:
Yeah I know you know, just wanted to point out that they were against pollution in this case noise so noise pollution, idk I thought of it as a funny pun Yeah on my Mirage I took everything before the air filter off except for the airbox which I modified to look stock but have a bigger opening

Last edited by Accord_V6_400m; September 4th, 2004 at 09:37 PM..
Accord_V6_400m is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 4th, 2004, 09:34 PM   #11

^ And now I know that you know that I know what EPA stands for.
Old September 4th, 2004, 11:30 PM   #12

ISnt that thing is, routed above the wheel, used to protect water goin inside the intake manifold when you're goin over flooded area?
Curry619 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 4th, 2004, 11:49 PM   #13

psh. maybe. but its fricking drawing air from next to the battery, under the hood. there's pratically no air there.
Old September 4th, 2004, 11:53 PM   #14

Quote:

Nevermind.
Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. Or rather, that's what the EPA said. Just before Honda brought in the 7th gen Accord, the EPA said it was too loud... So Honda added this little pipe dealy to cut down the noise.

I'll try to take some pictures tomorrow. It's dark, now.
Old September 4th, 2004, 11:54 PM   #15

and the g35 isn't? not that im complaining, cuz it's a beautiful sound, but its loud!
Old September 6th, 2004, 01:10 AM   #16
cunning linguist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galen
Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. Or rather, that's what the EPA said. Just before Honda brought in the 7th gen Accord, the EPA said it was too loud... So Honda added this little pipe dealy to cut down the noise.

I'll try to take some pictures tomorrow. It's dark, now.

HaHaHa...You aren't serious right? Have you ever heard the noises coming out of a new F-350. Or even a new Corvette? The Accord with or without resonator is not going to come anywhere close to those. I don't think the EPA is going to quible about noise from Honda's ULEV 3.0L V6...

The reason for the resonator, (most cars have them) is that not everyone wants to play Johnny Racer with their car. Honda Accords appeal to a wide variety of people, the majority of which enjoy the efforts Honda took to make their car's ride peaceful and quiet.

my .02
MorePower4me is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 6th, 2004, 01:21 AM   #17

i thought i read somewhere that there 6 speed doesnt have the resonator since it has that jpipe ...is this true?
if not, can you post pics or instructions on how to take it out of a 6speed?
madgreat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 6th, 2004, 07:37 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorePower4me
HaHaHa...You aren't serious right? Have you ever heard the noises coming out of a new F-350. Or even a new Corvette? The Accord with or without resonator is not going to come anywhere close to those. I don't think the EPA is going to quible about noise from Honda's ULEV 3.0L V6...

The reason for the resonator, (most cars have them) is that not everyone wants to play Johnny Racer with their car. Honda Accords appeal to a wide variety of people, the majority of which enjoy the efforts Honda took to make their car's ride peaceful and quiet.

my .02

I think this sounds reasonable. The reason I didn't understand Galen's first post is because I couldn't imagine the Accord being too loud--even without a resonator. (Maybe with no mufflers... )

Anyway, I agree that the resonator is to make the car quiet like the typical Accord owner would want, but not because of ambient noise levels. Honda did make the engine note a bit more audible for the V6MT owners because they knew that the MT would appeal to the driving enthusiast.
Old September 6th, 2004, 08:41 AM   #19
7yr / 120K

So what exactly am I looking for under there....? All I saw was the pipe coming down from the airbox. It hooks a 180 then flares open upward near the fender liner. What part did you remove....? I can't imagine that taking off the end section would result in a louder and slightly noticable change. I didn't see a resonator like you are talking about...

Can you post a pic or give more detail?
Celestion is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 6th, 2004, 08:45 AM   #20

you're a 6speed. if i'm not mistaken, there IS no resonator on the 6 speed. that being said, i've never looked in one, so i have no idea.
Old September 6th, 2004, 09:31 AM   #21

If you've installed a CAI and didn't take the resonator box off, shame on you. It's cutting your airflow! :}

How is this possible?
dave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 6th, 2004, 10:05 AM   #22

The 6MT /does/ have a resonator - just not much of one. The resonator is NOT part of the original design of the Accord, it was a last-minute addition to meet EPA drive-by noise level requirements.

The whole bend you see coming down from the airbox is the resonator. I'm going to go take pictures of it now, will post them shortly.
Old September 6th, 2004, 10:39 AM   #23

http://www.wolffit.net/~mark/photos/Accord/Resonator/
MVC-011X.JPG is the panel (next to the driver's side front wheel) that you have to remove.
The other pics are various angles of the removed resonator, so you can see what it looks like.
Old September 6th, 2004, 11:41 AM   #24
7yr / 120K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galen
http://www.wolffit.net/~mark/photos/Accord/Resonator/
MVC-011X.JPG is the panel (next to the driver's side front wheel) that you have to remove.
The other pics are various angles of the removed resonator, so you can see what it looks like.

Ok thanks, I see what you did now! You took out the entire bend and not just the tip section. So that actually make it a bit louder.....
I guess the airflow has a more direct route up to the filter. I'll try it out today.
Celestion is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 6th, 2004, 12:27 PM   #25

did you put the car up on jackstands to do this? about how long does it take total?
madgreat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 6th, 2004, 01:18 PM   #26

you don't need to put the car on stands, just take off the front bumper. takes about an hour tops. and doesn't the CAI go right where the resonator used to be?
Old September 6th, 2004, 01:20 PM   #27

that was my point you have to remove everything when installing a cai.
dave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 7th, 2004, 06:27 AM   #28

You don't have to remove the front bumper at all. There is a panel (shown in one of the photos) that you can remove, which gives you access to the pipe. It helps to put the car up on ramps so you have a bit more room to work, but if you're thin and wiry you could probably do it without ramps. If you know what you're doing you could probably do it in about 15 minutes, if you go through the panel rather than the bumper.
Old September 7th, 2004, 07:27 AM   #29

Can anyone say if the 6-speed will benefit from this?
herzzreh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 7th, 2004, 07:31 AM   #30

It's on a 6-speed that I did this... Yes it will benefit, though perhaps not measurably. It sounds better, though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in