Please read especially guys with VAFC2! - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 9th, 2004, 02:53 PM   #1

Please read especially guys with VAFC2!

Ok, so heres my story. Ive been working on my project for a while now and mind you its stricly for race use only. As I mentioned before I did my custom downpipe all the way from the manifold right to the catback. The results with my mods were-
252.3hp at the wheels(I will post dyno later on) and 229 pounds of torque.
After running my car a couple of months my clutch started giving away a bit(surpriced?hehe), just recently I got the VAFC 2 installed a couple of weeks ago and street tuned juts so I can ran the car till dyno time.
I did a dyno tune today and I was REALLY upset and not sure what just happened, first run recorded 225 hp!!! That was done in almost identical conditions and with the same premium gas of 92 Octane.
So what we did was set back all the settings to 0's and ran the car again-this time it showed a but more power up tp 234, with that behind the technician started playing with the new air/fuel ratios and at the end the car was up to almost 240., which is still way less than without the VAFC installed!
I thought that installing the unit will show a bit more gains but in return I was pretty dissapointed. The shop will call APEXi to figure out whats going on as also trying to test their software again for any faults but for now the question that comes into mind is-is it our ECU thats trying to fight the piggy back and going into a safe mode? The switchover point is set to 4500rpms and that seems to be the best spot at the moment especially on take offs in first gear.
At the end of the season the cats are going back in but for now I do want to take the car to the track and yet I want to find out whats going on. I ran the car before the VAFC with the custom downpipe for a few months and btw no ECL did come on at any time although I do use O2 simulators.
My question is has any of you guys did the backup dynos after a month or so and get the same numbers in comparison to your initial dyno tuning?
If you are experiencing the same problem with numbers going down please let me know.
Btw the numbers are corrected and it does show a lot of potential from our engines especially even after the car hit redline it seems theres a few more ponies hiding.
Thanks for reading, I will post the pictures of my downpipe as also dynos tomorrow evening.
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 9th, 2004, 07:19 PM   #2
J32A2 + SC + Meth AV6

Send a message via ICQ to BlackV62K2 Send a message via AIM to BlackV62K2 Send a message via MSN to BlackV62K2
Did you dyno the car @ the same dyno shop? When I dynoed my car @ Kinetic, I ran pretty low compared to the guys who ran on a dynojet. Similar mods (full bolt-ons), if not more b/c I have CL-S cams also. I got 170whp @ Kinetic. I compared my numbers with the people on here and they are running 190-200whp with the mods I have.
BlackV62K2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 9th, 2004, 10:01 PM   #3

Hi! Yes it was at Kinetic on both occasions. Its just an idea that I have that this could be a problem with the stock ecu trying to reset itself.
I mean if I was off by a few hp then its ok but evn with the unit set to 0's I still ran over 20whp less than before.
You think that it could be their dyno?

Old September 9th, 2004, 10:14 PM   #4
J32A2 + SC + Meth AV6

Send a message via ICQ to BlackV62K2 Send a message via AIM to BlackV62K2 Send a message via MSN to BlackV62K2
Hmm, I was there when Vancouver Prelude Club had their dyno day. Everyone ran lower than expected. If it reads about 20whp lower like you think it does, than that would explain why I'm off when I compare my dyno with others. I would run a baseline again and get your car dyno tuned instead of street tuned.
Old September 9th, 2004, 10:26 PM   #5

We tried base ran and it came low and the VAFC was tuned, the car feels faster than it was but the numbers are still short. They didnt charge me anything today since they couldnt even back the old numbers from a couple of weeks ago but Shawn told me to give him a call in a week or so and redo the dyno runs, maybe by then we will figure out what just happened.
Old September 9th, 2004, 10:38 PM   #6
J32A2 + SC + Meth AV6

Didnt you get AJ Racing to install you V-AFC 2? I have a V-AFC 1 but I have a plug and play wiring harness made by Frog Harness. You should double check and make sure everything was installed right, especially if you didn't get a wiring harness. I gained about 8whp from tuning but I have a huge power dip between 4000-4800RPM. I'm going to get my car dyno tuned again b/c I'm not happy with the numbers I got.
Old September 9th, 2004, 10:53 PM   #7
J32A2 + SC + Meth AV6

Also check your dyno sheet and ask Shawn about the dyno configuration for your 2 different dyno sessions. Correction factor might be different for one so that may be the difference you're seeing. Also dynos can be padded to show more/less HP.
Old September 9th, 2004, 11:55 PM   #8
I AM LOST....

Send a message via AIM to brex
TMan.. please post your custom j-pipe setup..
brex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 10th, 2004, 08:24 AM   #9

Hey BREX, can you host the pics of the downpipe and dynos for me?
If yes can you give me your email address?
Thanks a lot!
Yes it was install by AJ, the correction factor was the same as before and its installed right. I just wonder if any guys here have redynoed their cars after a month or so to check if the numbers are going down.
Old September 10th, 2004, 11:28 AM   #10
I AM LOST....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tman
Hey BREX, can you host the pics of the downpipe and dynos for me?
If yes can you give me your email address?
Thanks a lot!
Yes it was install by AJ, the correction factor was the same as before and its installed right. I just wonder if any guys here have redynoed their cars after a month or so to check if the numbers are going down.
email the pix to me..
Old September 10th, 2004, 11:33 PM   #11

Whats your email?
Old September 11th, 2004, 12:59 AM   #12
I AM LOST....

[email protected]
Old September 11th, 2004, 11:26 AM   #13

Ok, thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in