My neuspeed Short shifter review - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 27th, 2004, 08:18 PM   #1
Nothing special

Send a message via AIM to blu6speed
My neuspeed Short shifter review

Iím here again with another full review. This time I will be evaluating the Neuspeed short shifter. Cost was $40.

The basics- to start the shifter is already somewhat short from the factory. I measured a stock 1-2 shift. From the front of the knob in first, to the rear of the knob in second is 5.25 inches. After the install, the same test measures 3.75 inches. It looks like Neuspeed was correct in the 30% reduction in throw.

The feel- Many people have complained about the stock shifter feeling notchy. Although I agree that it was notchy, I liked the feeling. It allowed me to really feel where the gears where, and when they were engaging. The new shifter changes this feeling. The gears now feel as though they click right into place. At first I was undecided, but after a few short miles, I appreciate the new feeling. Where the stock shifter felt notchy, and 80% firm, the Neuspeed shifter feels decided and much more deliberate. Itís hard to explain in words. Most of the play is now gone, and the gates are tight and precise.

Is it faster- I answer this question only because I know it will be asked in the future. I donít think your going to see much of a difference time wise at the track. But then again there is less time spent changing gears, which may in turn improve times by a small margin. Its hard to judge until I get to the track and try it.

Everyday driving- For everyday driving, this kits smoothes out the ride. Each time you switch gears, the car loses forward momentum- causing those who are riding in the car to sway forward and back. The less time that is spent between gears, the less this pendulum feeling occurs. A short shifter means shorter throws, and less time spent to change a gear. I watched my passenger, and she moved less than with the stock, and she even commented that it lessoned the effect. This is a welcome outcome of the kit.

Racing- The same theory exists here as everyday driving.

Installation- well the second time around will be much easier. Neuspeed includes directions with pictures. They are sufficient. You have to remove the entire center console, which is a pain in the ass, but it is the only way to gain access to the shift knob. It took some flexibility, a flash light, and a few general tools, but overall not that difficult. Install time was right around one hour.

Concerns- The only concern that I can see is the way it is attached. The new piece is held in place by two hex pressure screws. The adaptor is a moving part that will most likely receive a lot of abuse during driving. I have not had much luck with these pressure screws in the past, so I will be monitoring them. Unfortunately that means removing the center console again. I think if it becomes a problem, I will be using a little lock tight to eliminate the problem. I did not want to do it initially so that I could uninstall it if I did not like the outcome. The new shifter seems slightly heavier than the stock, but this just a fragment of my imagination, and will go unnoticed soon enough.

Overall impressions- definitely worth the 40 bucks and the hour of my time to install. It is going to take some miles to get used to the way it shifts. Each shift is very short, and very precise. The gears click into place. If the notchyness of the stock shifter bothers you, this is not an upgrade for you. I give this upgrade an 8. The reason I subtracted points is because of the pressure screws, and the reuse of one of the stock parts (the ball on the end of the link) instead of replacing it. Stay tuned, I will be posting further impressions as driving time increases, and I get a true feel for the way it now shifts.

Last edited by blu6speed; September 27th, 2004 at 08:21 PM..
blu6speed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 27th, 2004, 08:23 PM   #2
Die-Hard Enthusiast!!

Send a message via AIM to Sick6speed Send a message via Yahoo to Sick6speed
Good review!! I fell the same way!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
818 Weekly Meet&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">
Sick6speed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 27th, 2004, 08:40 PM   #3

Good Review, but did you have any trouble removing that plastic bushing?
I spent about 3/4 of the install time trying to remove that stupid thing.
lazybum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old September 27th, 2004, 08:48 PM   #4
Nothing special

Well, it did cause some trouble. The 13mm wrench that neuspeed recommended using did not work. I used a split end flat screw driver, it allowed for basically the same idea, just a different tool. Ha, it popped off and it took me 15 mins to find it.

Thats one thing I forgot to warn people about, when removing that piece, DO NOT use a pair of pliers or something to grab on. That ball must remain perfectly smooth or else shifts may feel like they have sand paper in the works. Good catch lazybum!
Old September 27th, 2004, 08:56 PM   #5
I AM LOST....

Send a message via AIM to brex
another good review..
brex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 28th, 2004, 12:23 AM   #6
God of Car

Send a message via AIM to i3igpete
the hex screws WILL loosen over time. i put a kung-fu grip on them after the first time loosened, and they became loose again. to fix it, i did two things, one of which was orient the screws front and back instead of side to side. this way, the direction of motion will not loosen the screws, since the lower rod only goes front to back and not side to side. second, i used the strongest loctite i could find. the permanent blue kind i believe, where you have to heat it up to some insane temperature before you can break the threads loose.
i3igpete is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 2nd, 2004, 09:31 PM   #7
Nothing special

I will make my final evauation if I am going to keep it over the next few weeks. Then either remove it, or lock tight it.
Old October 2nd, 2004, 10:28 PM   #8
06 Anthracite 6spd w/ NAV

great review! I think I you have persuaded me to go ahead and get the short shifter.
popimp781 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 3rd, 2004, 03:56 AM   #9
you gotta rub to dub!

Send a message via AIM to relentless
Great review.
My only concern is the hex screws. I remember reading a thread about it where one came loose during drive time and was not able to shift at all so their car had to be towed.
relentless is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 3rd, 2004, 09:13 AM   #10
Nothing special

Hmm, I dont see why it would have to be towed, if the piece were to come loose, I guess I would perform surgery on the side of the road. It would take a few minutes, but things could be returned to stock rather easily. I keep a small tool kit in the trunk of my car, for such emergencies.
Old October 3rd, 2004, 03:01 PM   #11
God of Car

the comptech design is nearly an exact duplicate of the neuspeed one.

http://www.comptechusa.com/store/560010.html

the only difference is that neuspeed came out with it nearly a year before comptech, and somehow comptech thinks they are entitled to charge more money for it.
Old October 3rd, 2004, 08:54 PM   #12
Nothing special

Hmm, I didnt even know that comptech has one out! oh well, I still would have gone with the neuspeed model. The comptech reduces throw an additional 8% more than the neuspeed. I just think that would be to much... that additional reduction would add even more notchyness. The neuspeed model is just at the line of being to much, so I think the comptech would cross the line. Good find though i3igpete.
Old October 3rd, 2004, 08:57 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by i3igpete
the comptech design is nearly an exact duplicate of the neuspeed one.

http://www.comptechusa.com/store/560010.html

the only difference is that neuspeed came out with it nearly a year before comptech, and somehow comptech thinks they are entitled to charge more money for it.
its actually the same price.
lazybum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 3rd, 2004, 09:04 PM   #14
God of Car

hmm i guess comptech wised up.
Old October 3rd, 2004, 10:13 PM   #15
Nothing special

http://www.neuspeed.com/products/product_details.asp?app=63|TX&type=3&ltype=ns_impo rt&p_id=1047

click on the HOW TO INSTALL in the upper right to launch the pdf.
Old October 3rd, 2004, 10:27 PM   #16
ohh yeah ?

life isn't perfect...
7810_Accord04Co is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 4th, 2004, 08:34 PM   #17

That looks a ton different than the STS I bought for my CL-S6. The Neuspeed for my car is basically a bracket that relocates the fulcrum of the shifter and shortens the throw that way. I have one still in the box but havent installed it because I cant bring myself to drill into my stock shifter handle.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jtkz13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 4th, 2004, 08:43 PM   #18
Nothing special

If your referring to the neuspeed model, there is no drilling required.
Old October 4th, 2004, 09:09 PM   #19

is there any reasonable way to shorten the shifter itself. Ive alrady installed the neuspeed short shift kit but i would also like to shorten the length if the shifter.
MGibbs007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 4th, 2004, 09:52 PM   #20
God of Car

if you want to physically shorten the rod itself, you need to bust out a die grinder to cut more threads and a dremel to cut extra length off.
Old October 4th, 2004, 11:44 PM   #21

im gonna try to have a steel or aluminum shifter bushing made custom for me.. let you guys know how it comes out...
MGibbs007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 5th, 2004, 12:48 PM   #22
Nothing special

2fast4u99, make sure you keep us updated on how things feel after the new HFP shocks are installed. Im still on the fense if I want the HFP, or if its worth the extra 200+ for the tein basics. Keep in mind I want performance, I could care less how the drop looks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in