My Chopped Exhaust Review - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 9th, 2004, 02:26 PM   #1
Nothing special

Send a message via AIM to blu6speed
My Chopped Exhaust Review

Well I spent 20 bucks, and an hour of my time getting my stock exhaust cut. I had the third cat and the pre-muffler removed.. I decided to leave the resonator in place to avoid interstate droning.

Im afraid I am not all that impressed by the sound changes. Is it louder? Not really, I would describe it as slightly deeper. The sound change is only exhistant below 2500 under partial throttle. Under full throttle, or above 2500 my intake is far louder. I was hoping to reach a Ď350í volume level, but it is not even close. I would say its only about 25%.

Power increases? I was not expecting any power gains, but maybe there is a hint of one. If I had done this mod in search of a few ponies I would be disappointed, but since I was not anticipating any, the change is welcome. At interstate speeds, the car seems to pull just a little more. Please donít read too much into this, the increases are not worth writing home about.

There was no low end loss of torque, which was a concern I had. In fact I found myself leaving the revs lower just so I could hear the deeper tones. I would venture to say, the torque could have increased in the 1800-2000 range, again nothing to write home about.

Am I happy I got the pieces cut? Sure. It was 20 bucks, not going to break the bank on that one. I may go back next weekend and have the resonator removed to see if that makes a difference. What this really does is answer the question- To buy aftermarket exhaust or not. If I would have just jumped right to aftermarket, I would have always questioned if I was blowing money. Now I know- to get the sounds I want, I will have to go with different mufflers.

EDIT: I went back this weekend to the shop and had some more changes made. This time I had the resonator cut, and 2.5 inch exhaust run all the way. One word can describe the new sound WOW. What a difference, not only in sound, but in performance. What can I say, it now sounds like an R32...

There is no droaning. Yes the mufflers are oh so slightly louder on the freeway, but you cant hear them unless you are listening for them. Turn the radio on, set it to the lowest volume, and you cant hear the mufflers even if you try. Its the perfect setup for me. Quiet during normal driving, nice and throaty during hard runs. This is the best 20 bucks I have ever spent on a car!

Last edited by blu6speed; October 16th, 2004 at 05:24 PM..
blu6speed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 9th, 2004, 05:08 PM   #2
fonda my honda

Send a message via AIM to tx03coupe
get the resonator taken out. i did along with the pre-muffler and there is no highway droning. it sounds pretty cool, but not raspy or obnoxious at all. i'm guessing it will make only a small bit of difference, but do it anyway.
tx03coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 9th, 2004, 10:29 PM   #3
mog

LOL...write home to your mom and pop?
mog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old October 16th, 2004, 01:37 PM   #4
Nothing special

Bump

EDIT on my post
Old October 16th, 2004, 01:58 PM   #5
ex scientia vera

Nice mod. That's a good idea. I might look into this. Do you have any pictures of the new piping?
kramer2k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 16th, 2004, 04:21 PM   #6

i'd like to see pics also...any difference in mileage?
STang57 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 16th, 2004, 05:23 PM   #7
Nothing special

Ill snap some shots tomorrow in the day light.

As far as mileage increases? hard to say, its only been moded for about 20 miles. It may just be better, I find myself leaving the revs lower due to the increased low end power. Ill keep my eye on this over the next few tanks of gas.
Old October 17th, 2004, 02:56 PM   #8
mog

Can someone post some pictures pointing to exactly which component is cut?
mog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 17th, 2004, 10:21 PM   #9
fonda my honda

i have a pic of the piece you want to view. how do i post the pic directly on here? i can e-mail it to someone if they want.
Old October 18th, 2004, 05:32 AM   #10

so you kept the stock muffler after you got the 2.5in piping all the way back from? the cat (directly after the header) i assume? this only ended up costing you 40 bucks? **** ill have to go do this this afternoon!

actually this was on a v6 huh? i forgot this was v6p not accordtuner lol whoops well has anyone done anythign similar on an i4? does the i4 even have a 3rd cat and resonator or not? geez also what shop did you have this done at? 40 bucks seems REALLY cheap for that kind of work.. could you PM me some details?

thanks!

Last edited by 2k3accordcpe; October 18th, 2004 at 01:34 PM..
2k3accordcpe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 18th, 2004, 02:43 PM   #11

Any sound clips of the setups above?

What do you think if the resonator only was removed?
I'm looking only for a better low sporty exhaust tone (<2,000rpm) .. not really sound volume .. just a better low RPM tone.

Also, for posting pics, I'd just open a Yahoo! Photos account and post links to your album.
ipribadi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 18th, 2004, 08:51 PM   #12
Biohazard Level 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu6speed
Bump

EDIT on my post
Wait, you got 2.5" exhaust put in all the way back and it cost you $20?

How did you work that out?

And as far as sound, It sounds almost stock, or what? I am very interested in doing this or something like it, but I want to keep sound to a minimum.

Thanks for any info!
Scubaman3D is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 18th, 2004, 09:59 PM   #13
Nothing special

well it helps to know people...20 bucks was an under the table deal:-)

I would not describe the sound as stock during acceloration. Its a mix between an r32 and a 350z. the new piping goes from the flex pipe back to the stock mufflers.

I can get some sound clips, but it is going to be a few days... I am traveling for business in the sunny state of florida .
Old October 18th, 2004, 11:51 PM   #14

Send a message via AIM to peshford55
i did the same thing, but i removed the resinator as well. it sounds pretty cool. it cost me 30 buks, and i just pulled into some muffler shop to get it done. you mite have to talk them down, but i think its worth the 30 buks.
peshford55 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 19th, 2004, 09:00 AM   #15

We know our cars (AV6) have two resonators or pre-mufflers ..
If you're not removing all of them, which ones are you removing?

The one upstream (closer to the engine: skinny long one) or the one down stream (short and wide)?

What kind of effects does each one have on sound tone, sound loudness and performance?
ipribadi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 19th, 2004, 06:18 PM   #16

Send a message via AIM to peshford55
i removed both, and i dont get any droning or any problems. it gives it a G35 sound. i think its pretty nice.
peshford55 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 21st, 2004, 12:28 AM   #17
fonda my honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipribadi
We know our cars (AV6) have two resonators or pre-mufflers ..
If you're not removing all of them, which ones are you removing?

The one upstream (closer to the engine: skinny long one) or the one down stream (short and wide)?

What kind of effects does each one have on sound tone, sound loudness and performance?
the "skinny long one" is the resonator. the "short and wide one" is the pre-muffler. remove both of them for a great low end sound. not too loud at all. sounds great.
Old November 8th, 2004, 07:34 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu6speed
This time I had the resonator cut, and 2.5 inch exhaust run all the way.

Did you run 2.5" from the cat to the Y or all the way to each muffler? I am looking for a way to increase performance withour having the car sound ricey. If it sounded like it did now just louder, I would be happy.

Have you considered dynoing the car without your CAI on to see what kind of gain the chop actually gave you? I wouldn't be suprised if you realized a gain close to equal as someone that insalled an aftermarket catback..
bigcsorren is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 13th, 2004, 09:54 AM   #19
Biohazard Level 4

I just had 2.5" run from the 3rd cat (soon to be removed) to the Y-pipe.

It does sound good. Not too loud, not too quiet. It dosn't drone on the highway, as far as I can tell (you really have to listen to hear it - as it was said before, it the radio is on the lowes setting, you can't hear it)

Id even say that road noise from the tires is louder on the inside than the exhaust noise.

There was a noticible increase in highway acceleration - maybe not as much off the line, but thats typical of any after market exhaust that has come out for our cars.

Given what increases I've seen from the $600 + after markets exhausts available for our cars, this is probably the best bang for the buck (of course, I have no dyno to back that up).
Scubaman3D is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 29th, 2005, 11:29 PM   #20
Master of Disaster...

Send a message via AIM to MysterGoode Send a message via MSN to MysterGoode
I know this thread is VERY old, but is there a way to remove the resonator without cutting or welding? I would not like to do anything I couldn't easily reverse. And also, do you guys still run your stock setup w/o the resonator?
MysterGoode is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 30th, 2005, 08:59 AM   #21
14.58 =Quickest Gen7 auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysterGoode
......but is there a way to remove the resonator without cutting or welding?
No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysterGoode
And also, do you guys still run your stock setup w/o the resonator?
I removed my pre-muffler, not my resonator, but the remainder of my system is stock. At least for now it is....... Flowmaster mufflers are going on later this year.
03LXV6Guy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 1st, 2005, 02:04 AM   #22
registered n00b

Send a message via AIM to sumptimwong
hahah i always thought that the resonator and premuff were the same thing. anyone with pics? also, does any of this apply to L4?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- wong
sumptimwong is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 1st, 2005, 02:30 AM   #23

Send a message via ICQ to willshire Send a message via AIM to willshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumptimwong
hahah i always thought that the resonator and premuff were the same thing.
The difference is that a "true" resonator does not use sound absorbing materials such as steel wool or fiber glass to decrease the sound; it relies only on reflection and restriction.

In our case though, I think they are actually both premufflers (at least looks like it to me) but it makes sense to call the smaller one the resonator so we can differentiate.
willshire is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 1st, 2005, 10:07 AM   #24

Quote:
hahah i always thought that the resonator and premuff were the same thing.
Imo, they are not. Our exhaust system consists of (from the engine back) 2 pre-cats, 1 common cat, a resonator, a pre-muffler and 2 mufflers.

Quote:
also, does any of this apply to L4?
Got no idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by willshire
In our case though, I think they are actually both premufflers (at least looks like it to me) but it makes sense to call the smaller one the resonator so we can differentiate.
I've always thought of them as being different. One of them is just a round pipe shaped part, which I consider a resonator. The other looks like a half-scale muffler, which I consider to be a pre-muffler, taking into account it's relative position in the exhaust system.

I've also read in magazines that refer to them that way.
Old October 1st, 2005, 10:47 AM   #25

Quote:
does any of this apply to L4?
See for yourself.

I4

V6
Old October 1st, 2005, 10:56 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03LXV6Guy
I've always thought of them as being different. One of them is just a round pipe shaped part, which I consider a resonator. The other looks like a half-scale muffler, which I consider to be a pre-muffler, taking into account it's relative position in the exhaust system.
Why couldn't a muffler be round?? You can't base it just on that... for example.

This is a muffler, but many people use it and call it a resonator because that's the purpose that it is used for. It is not a "true" resonator because it uses the additional principle of sound absorption.

Back to our "resonator" - you can't say for sure unless you've cut it open.. but in the end whether or not it is still serves the same purpose.

Here's a pic for anyone who has no clue what we are talking about.

Edit: Actually you can probably determine it without looking at the inside. In order to do this just tap the wall with your fingernail or a screwdriver. If it is a muffler then it will make a dull thud; if it is a resonator then it will make a clear "ping" sound.

I've done this already, and it definitely does not make a "ping" sound.

Last edited by willshire; October 1st, 2005 at 12:12 PM..
Old October 1st, 2005, 12:04 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by willshire
Why couldn't a muffler be round?? You can't base it just on that...
Yea, I know that..... and I wasn't just basing it off that. I picked up that nomenclature (in reference to our exhaust specifically too) from an article I read somewhere.

But anyway, yea, I agree with everything you said.
Old September 20th, 2006, 10:54 AM   #28
Formerly EPS Sniper

Send a message via AIM to ATX 6Speed
Sorry to bring an old thread back up, but I also had the resonator and pre-muffler cut out and replaced with standard 2.25" piping. The sound is definately noticeable and nice, but I'm wondering about that third cat. The shop wouldn't even touch it, so maybe a high flow cat would work? Anyone have a high flow cat?
ATX 6Speed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 20th, 2006, 11:10 AM   #29
indoctidiscant

Send a message via AIM to OwAce
Quote:
Originally Posted by eps sniper
Sorry to bring an old thread back up, but I also had the resonator and pre-muffler cut out and replaced with standard 2.25" piping. The sound is definately noticeable and nice, but I'm wondering about that third cat. The shop wouldn't even touch it, so maybe a high flow cat would work? Anyone have a high flow cat?
go to a diff shop. btw the sound matures after about 6 months. starts of enh ok..but then after 6 months its a nice throaty growl.
OwAce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 20th, 2006, 01:00 PM   #30
Formerly EPS Sniper

Send a message via AIM to ATX 6Speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwAce
go to a diff shop. btw the sound matures after about 6 months. starts of enh ok..but then after 6 months its a nice throaty growl.
Does the sound really mature? Why would it do so after a certain period of time?
ATX 6Speed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in