CARBON FIBER DRIVESHAFTS >> - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 9th, 2004, 03:14 PM   #1

CARBON FIBER DRIVESHAFTS >>

An engineer at www.acpt.com (they specialize in carbon fibre driveshafts) told me that the 2005 Mazda RX-8 (6-speed only) comes stock with a carbon fibre driveshaft, like the new Nissan 350Z. I contacted Mazda and they confirmed it was correct. The engineer also told me the Mitsubishi Montero also came with a carbon fibre driveshaft.
I asked him over the phone how much would it cost for them to make me a carbon driveshaft, he said from $800-1800, only rear wheel drive applications and some all wheel drive, though. I asked how much for a 1968 Pontiac Firebird (400ci) he said around $1200 and he also said that the Mitsubishi Eclipse Talons equiped with all wheel drive (93-96) were one of the most expensive to build a driveshaft for. So if you like this idea, and it's not bad since some cars come with them from the factory, then get hooked up with the people at acpt.com, they said for now you have to send them your original driveshaft so they can make a copy, but in a month they will be able to do it by dimensions alone. I hope someone found this informative.
andreivtec is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 9th, 2004, 03:22 PM   #2
Nothing special

Send a message via AIM to blu6speed
Hmm, carbon fiber driveshafts are really only nessisary in rear drive cars or high performance apps. Im not sure what gains would be achieved on our front wheel drive accords. But hey, once I have a chip and a supercharger, we may just be talking!!

But seeing how long unichip and comptech seem to be taking in development stages.....
blu6speed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 9th, 2004, 04:21 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu6speed
Hmm, carbon fiber driveshafts are really only nessisary in rear drive cars or high performance apps. Im not sure what gains would be achieved on our front wheel drive accords. But hey, once I have a chip and a supercharger, we may just be talking!!

But seeing how long unichip and comptech seem to be taking in development stages.....
I said they only manufacture carbon fibre driveshafts for rear wheel drive vehicles and some all wheel drive vehicles. They don't make them for front wheel drive vehicles, the engineer already pushed the idea and was rejected. He said there was an extra complication and that the gains would barely be noticable. The advantages of a carbon fibre driveshaft over a steel unit or aluminum one is that it's much lighter than steel lighter than aluminum, much stronger than aluminum, it also has a much higher coefficient of vibration dampaning, also its safer, if it ever broke off (they said the u-joints would fail before there shaft does) it would not spin out of control tearing up the underside of the car or hitting the ground and launching the car into the air, the carbon fibre driveshaft would disintigrate preventing this.
andreivtec is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old October 9th, 2004, 06:01 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to nycsam786
having one of these would b pretty cooL
nycsam786 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 9th, 2004, 07:11 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to 03 Aero Coupe
What is the purpose or reason behind this post? Am I missing something?

Or is the purpose just " good to Know " info?
03 Aero Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 9th, 2004, 09:48 PM   #6
I AM LOST....

Send a message via AIM to brex
yes.. just good to know info..
brex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 11th, 2004, 09:23 AM   #7

so I'm confused a bit, if the benefits of a carbon fiber drive shaft are lighter weight, for rotational mass and all that, why wouldn't a FWD vehicle see those same benefits?

I can understand the complexity thing, but it seems like a lighter driveshaft is a lighter driveshaft, wherever you put it.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 11th, 2004, 01:36 PM   #8

Did you know the 05 RL has one too?
EX V6 Slusher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in