Alternative to exhaust - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 16th, 2004, 09:35 AM   #1
ohh yeah ?

Alternative to exhaust

I posted this in "sick6speed's custom J-pipe -> dual pipe." I decided to post it here so more people can see...

I've known this site quicktimeperformance.com for awhile. Check it out.
7810_Accord04Co is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 16th, 2004, 10:02 AM   #2
Vimal (vee-mall)

Send a message via AIM to KnightRyder
yes, it may unleash a few more horses but you'll be unleashing more noise than anything else.
KnightRyder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 16th, 2004, 11:29 AM   #3

That would be a really good idea for the track, I will think about it once I finish my other project.
Thanks!
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old October 16th, 2004, 12:47 PM   #4
Biohazard Level 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7810_Accord04Co
I posted this in "sick6speed's custom J-pipe -> dual pipe." I decided to post it here so more people can see...

I've known this site quicktimeperformance.com for awhile. Check it out.

Do you have any 1st hand experience with these things?
Scubaman3D is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 16th, 2004, 01:28 PM   #5
Nothing special

Send a message via AIM to blu6speed
My roommate has this installed on his GTI. ITs pretty sweet, he has stock exhaust, runs quiet all day long, until he needs to open up and run hard. Its great on his car because it has forced induction. With a forced induction engine, the less back pressure you have, the stronger your engine runs. BUT...I dont think the accord would have good results with this piece. We do need some level of back pressure. I think it may actually hurt our performance greatly.

I am curious as to what others think, maybe Im wrong.
blu6speed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 16th, 2004, 01:39 PM   #6
I AM LOST....

Send a message via AIM to brex
yeah.. i posted about this in other thread awhile ago....

good post..
brex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 16th, 2004, 02:15 PM   #7
Biohazard Level 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu6speed
My roommate has this installed on his GTI. ITs pretty sweet, he has stock exhaust, runs quiet all day long, until he needs to open up and run hard. Its great on his car because it has forced induction. With a forced induction engine, the less back pressure you have, the stronger your engine runs. BUT...I dont think the accord would have good results with this piece. We do need some level of back pressure. I think it may actually hurt our performance greatly.

I am curious as to what others think, maybe Im wrong.
There is always some backpreasure...unless your running the engine with absolutely no piping coming off the block and the exhaust is just pumping into the engine bay.

That being said, it ultimately depends on where you plug this in. If you put it after the 3rd cat, for instance, there is pleanty of backpreasure.

Also, just look at the duel exhaust thread. He has 2 J-pipes, no 3rd cat, true dual. He has little/no backpreasure, yet he posted impressive HP figures.

Backpreasure is more of a problem, I think, with the smaller 4cyl engines. The thing I would be more concerned about is the effects on timing/afr's if you opened it @ WOT.
Old October 16th, 2004, 04:23 PM   #8
fonda my honda

Send a message via AIM to tx03coupe
did anyone look at the prices? 189 for single exhaust and 349 for dual exhaust! that's a rip off for sure.
tx03coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 16th, 2004, 04:45 PM   #9
Biohazard Level 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tx03coupe
did anyone look at the prices? 189 for single exhaust and 349 for dual exhaust! that's a rip off for sure.
you sure about that? Borla exhaust is like $500-$600, isn't it? And you don't have the option of "turning it off".

You know, you only really need 1 for our cars, right? So I am confused why you would call this a rip off.

On top of that, those prices are MSRP, you can get the unit for closer to $150.
Old October 16th, 2004, 04:57 PM   #10
I AM LOST....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubaman3D
you sure about that? Borla exhaust is like $500-$600, isn't it? And you don't have the option of "turning it off".
you're comparing apples to orange.. one is complete catback.. and this one is only say, replace partial of the b-pipe..

if you're to say use this with stock catback/muffler.. then under this situation, yes, it is cheaper...
Old October 16th, 2004, 05:00 PM   #11
I AM LOST....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubaman3D
Also, just look at the duel exhaust thread. He has 2 J-pipes, no 3rd cat, true dual. He has little/no backpreasure, yet he posted impressive HP figures.
that is not true.. he still has 3rd cat.. one for each pipe.. i did the same thing and the shop also put in 3rd cat for each pipe.. and resonator for each pipe as well..

we still have back pressure.. mine prob more cuz i am running 2.25 instead of 2.5..
Old October 16th, 2004, 05:23 PM   #12
Biohazard Level 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by brex
you're comparing apples to orange.. one is complete catback.. and this one is only say, replace partial of the b-pipe..

if you're to say use this with stock catback/muffler.. then under this situation, yes, it is cheaper...
right, I forgot to make that point.

It comes down to what specific application you want to use it for. If you don't want aftermarket exhaust, this is a good alternative. Other Exhaust cutouts can run from $30-$75 or so, for non-electricm, so as far as cutouts are concerned, they're expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brex
that is not true.. he still has 3rd cat.. one for each pipe.. i did the same thing and the shop also put in 3rd cat for each pipe.. and resonator for each pipe as well..

we still have back pressure.. mine prob more cuz i am running 2.25 instead of 2.5...
My bad, but my second point about 4cyl needing backpreasure more than V6 is still valid. If you chop the exaust after the 3rd cat and just have pipes going out the back, there is still a good amount of backpreasure. This, I think, is enough for our cars. I might not have thought so if I still had my 1.8L Integra, but a 3.0L is a little bigger.

Sure, it would sound like crap, but I don't think you would see signifigantly less performance out of it compaired to an aftermarket exhaust.

I will even go so far as to say that if you did get rid of the 3rd cats in your system and even the resonators, you would post higher peak power results. It would sound terrible, though.
Old October 17th, 2004, 08:58 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tx03coupe
Try to find an electric motor, the valve, switch, and all the fittings for this. See how much it would all cost. Then figure out how to manufacture it, make it work, and have it withstand high temperatures, and the under-car environment. If you can make a unit like this for less money, more power to you. I don't think it is a rip off at all.
2003 VTEC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 18th, 2004, 07:19 AM   #14

I wonder if you could wire the switch lead into the throttle, kind of like nitrous. So then on WOT, bam! Also, would it be best to put this as close to the J-pipe as possible? I'd think so to get the best benefit.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 18th, 2004, 05:17 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse
I wonder if you could wire the switch lead into the throttle, kind of like nitrous. So then on WOT, bam! Also, would it be best to put this as close to the J-pipe as possible? I'd think so to get the best benefit.
On the Subaru shown on the website, they dump the exhaust right after it exits the turbocharger via the "downpipe". They put on a very short straight pipe with a little turndown after the exit of the valve.

This setup produced the most HP (about 21 HP!) So, it would seem that you'd want it real close to the engine, if possible.
Silver '03 LX V6 Coupe, Konig "Prophet" Opal 18x7.5 wheels, 235-40-18 Dunlop Sport 9000 tires, Eibach Pro-Kit, Honda "metal-look" interior kit, manual trans shifter boot, black Grillecraft grille, cross-drilled rotors, painted 6-speed scoops, Silverstar headlights, painted rocker panels, Honda front air-dam/spoiler recently installed. Link to photos of my cars, past/present:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2003 VTEC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 18th, 2004, 08:37 PM   #16
Biohazard Level 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2003 VTEC
On the Subaru shown on the website, they dump the exhaust right after it exits the turbocharger via the "downpipe". They put on a very short straight pipe with a little turndown after the exit of the valve.

This setup produced the most HP (about 21 HP!) So, it would seem that you'd want it real close to the engine, if possible.
Yeah, but thats an FI engine. Turbochargers work more efficiently with less backpreasure. The turbo charger, it self, is generating a lot of backpreasure, since it is driven by exhaust gases.

You will hear people complaining about the possibility of loosing "low end" torque and blah blah blah if its too close to the block (aka after the j-pipe, before the 3rd cat), on a non-FI engine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in