Best Bang for the Buck? - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 30th, 2004, 11:33 AM   #1
St. Louis!

Best Bang for the Buck?

Im pretty new to japanese car mods. What is the simplest/cheapest mod, and provides the best power increase, if its that simple anyway?
Kingof3rdinput is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 30th, 2004, 11:37 AM   #2

cold air intake, AEM v2 or injen. i recommend injen, as i have one, and you should be able to find one between 200-225. sounds great, gives a little power.

edit: if you want to wait a little bit, unorthodox racing should be getting us some pullies that'll give 10-20 hp.
deuzezwild is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 30th, 2004, 11:49 AM   #3
_

CAI for sure. I have Injen as well, get one, you wouldn't be disappointed. After that you could get little suspension mods, battery ground, eventually the Unichip. Those are little things that totally change your car. And aren't expensive like rims/tires, drop, body kits, exhaust.

Good luck.
0430Steve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old October 30th, 2004, 12:08 PM   #4

nitrous pound for pound, downside reliability on the long run.
vnguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 30th, 2004, 12:16 PM   #5
say hello to angels..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingof3rdinput
Im pretty new to japanese car mods. What is the simplest/cheapest mod, and provides the best power increase, if its that simple anyway?
the INTAKE does NOT give the "best power increase" ...for 150-250 bux you pay for 1-2hp....its not worth it for power, but it sounds GREAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnguy
nitrous pound for pound, downside reliability on the long run.
yeah..i have to say nitrious...i'm not a fan, but vnguy is right
BlaCCord Guy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 30th, 2004, 12:25 PM   #6
_

Nitrous is a bad idea. Sure if used correctly it is the best bang for the buck, but who cares. NOS sucks. I never used it, but I never will either.

And CAI will give you more than 1HP.
Old October 30th, 2004, 01:48 PM   #7
wearYELLOW :: liveSTRONG

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaCCord Guy
the INTAKE does NOT give the "best power increase" ...for 150-250 bux you pay for 1-2hp....its not worth it for power, but it sounds GREAT

I believe intake does give you a little more than 1-2hp. I don't think a majority of people on this web site would buy intake unless they were to see some significant gains in horsepower. At lowest, your going to gain at least 5hp.

Just my $.02 worth.
The Sync is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 30th, 2004, 02:05 PM   #8
_

Supposedly the Injen I have gave me 15 or so. CAI and premiem gas is what they ran the test with I think, that is what I use. So I should be making 250-260 HP, but really only seeing 200 at the wheels.

If you want to do NOS, do it, it will be fast, powerful, cheap, and iffy. I just wouldn't trust it on my car. All motor, then turbo, supercharger, NOS would be my last choice. But for the money/power, you can't get anything else that would compare. Forced induction is too expensive, all motor can get just as expensive, NOS is cheap, and does the same thing as far as power boost. But our cars don't have the turbo/supercharger(yet) options out yet. So a nice NOS system would be your only choice is you need 50 HP and have less than $1000 to spend.

Just get an Injen CAI, upgrade rear sway, drop it on some nice rims with really good tires and your car will be a totally different car. Eventually get an exhaust and the other related breathing parts. Grounding wires. You're car would be good to go.
Old October 30th, 2004, 02:26 PM   #9
Nothing special

Send a message via AIM to blu6speed
Lets put it this way, an intake will take a half a second off your quarter mile time- that sure sounds like more than 2hp to me. Check around, there are dynos that show 12+ gains at the wheels. An intake is by far the best bang for the buck other than nitrous. Nitrous is like a really hot girl with an STD, you know you want to hit it, but you are afraid of the consequences.

Last edited by blu6speed; October 30th, 2004 at 06:07 PM..
blu6speed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 30th, 2004, 02:39 PM   #10
Formerly VTEC-v6!

Calm down kiddies, nitrous is perfecty safe as long as you're not an idiot, install it correct, and keep tabs on your motor. Just like you would have to do with any other major performance mod (turbo/sc in mind).
N54TT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 30th, 2004, 05:55 PM   #11

Our cars are pretty highly tuned from the factory so dont expect massive gains from a bolt on. It seems that an AEM V2/Injen CAI give roughly 10whp. I'm looking forward to pulleys as well. Frees up roughly 10whp. I'm not so sure how effective exhaust upgrades are yet.

October 2004 - June 2005
cammyfive is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 30th, 2004, 09:42 PM   #12
St. Louis!

no way to NOS, im not runnin an afterhours streetracing circuit here, just wanted a little extra boost, CAI is what im plannin on. Any good sites offering up Injen for cheap, do the kits have everything i need for install?
Kingof3rdinput is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 30th, 2004, 09:48 PM   #13
bleh

higher octane gas?
frank828 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 30th, 2004, 11:22 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank828
higher octane gas?
Yeah, I agree. Dont forget, a Honda engineer was quoted as saying that 91+ octane gives us 10hp/10ft-tq at the crank.

October 2004 - June 2005
cammyfive is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 30th, 2004, 11:43 PM   #15
6thgenaccord.com

Send a message via AIM to Wildman
not to go against the flow, but nitrous is just as reliable as a turbo if you know anything about cars and are somewhat responsible. As long as you don't try and throw a 400 shot on your stock motor you'll be fine. And a 75 shot would give you a significant difference in performance lol

nitrous is just another form of forcing air & fuel into your engine, like a supercharger or a turbocharger. Either way, the goal is to try and make more power per combustion to increase efficiency & go faster
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 30th, 2004, 11:59 PM   #16

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=7930000883

$200 + shipping. best price i've found. i bought from him.
Old October 31st, 2004, 12:06 AM   #17

Exhaust:
Chop the 3rd cat, resonator and premuffler ... replace with 2.5" piping all the way until the Y split. Gives great sound (no droning) .. and "some" performance gains (no low end losses!) .. and of course this is a very cheap mod to do!! (<$100)

Intake:
Yup the Injen or AEM V2 would be great, about +10-15 max whp. There are dynos here on this site to prove it.

Tires+Suspension:
'04 TL or '03 CL-S rear sway bars (<$60)!

And best yet, like said in a thread above ... 91+ octane gas! (+$0.20 per gal or so)
ipribadi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 31st, 2004, 01:03 AM   #18
6thgenaccord.com

Send a message via AIM to Wildman
K so I lowered my car on Tein SS Coilovers today, didn't drive it a whole lot but suspension is definitely one of the better investments I've made. Changes the whole character of the car, no more body roll or any of that crazy ish.
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 31st, 2004, 06:10 AM   #19
I AM LOST....

Send a message via AIM to brex
Well.. I am surprised no one had said Unichip...

Althought 7gen is still being r&d.. the 6gen had shown great result even to a cmpletely stock car!! check this post out.

http://www.v6performance.net/forums/...90&postcount=5

a stock vs a stock+unichip, on peak gains 12.9bhp and 12.3tq... avg gains 5.9bhp and 5.5tq..
brex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 31st, 2004, 06:17 AM   #20
Formerly VTEC-v6!

Yeah I didn't say that because it's not out yet
N54TT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 31st, 2004, 01:31 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by brex
Well.. I am surprised no one had said Unichip...

Althought 7gen is still being r&d.. the 6gen had shown great result even to a cmpletely stock car!! check this post out.

http://www.v6performance.net/forums/...90&postcount=5

a stock vs a stock+unichip, on peak gains 12.9bhp and 12.3tq... avg gains 5.9bhp and 5.5tq..

Hey brex, am I reading this correctly? A 6th gen V6 accord with CAI and Unichip saw peak gains of 19.8 bhp and 52 lb-ft of torque?

If thats the case, wouldn't a 7th gen see the same amount of hp and torque if not more?
Old October 31st, 2004, 03:27 PM   #22
Nothing special

Send a message via AIM to blu6speed
[QUOTE=The Sync]Hey brex, am I reading this correctly? A 6th gen V6 accord with CAI and Unichip saw peak gains of 19.8 bhp and 52 lb-ft of torque?

I believe thats on a supercharged model. Gains for the natural induction models are less. Dont get me wrong, Im not downing unichip- I am already starting to save for one myself. Im just not expecting miracles.
blu6speed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 31st, 2004, 04:11 PM   #23

Don't forget about a short shifter! If you've got a standard tranny, this $50 mod will make shifting so much fun! It totally makes the car feel different, and for a 1-2 hour install (including beer time ), you can't go wrong.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 31st, 2004, 05:34 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu6speed

I believe thats on a supercharged model. Gains for the natural induction models are less. Dont get me wrong, Im not downing unichip- I am already starting to save for one myself. Im just not expecting miracles.

It specifically says AEM CAI on the 2nd column. And as far as I know, I don't think AEM makes a supercharger. So that was why I was questioning it.
Old October 31st, 2004, 09:14 PM   #25
I AM LOST....

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sync
Hey brex, am I reading this correctly? A 6th gen V6 accord with CAI and Unichip saw peak gains of 19.8 bhp and 52 lb-ft of torque?

If thats the case, wouldn't a 7th gen see the same amount of hp and torque if not more?
yes, you're reading correctly...
Old October 31st, 2004, 09:17 PM   #26
I AM LOST....

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu6speed
[
nop.. i believe the car is not yet supercharged at that testing point.. unichip needs to test each stage of mod.. so it was really just intake+unichip...
Old October 31st, 2004, 09:19 PM   #27
I AM LOST....

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTEC-v6!
Yeah I didn't say that because it's not out yet
yeah.. it is still being r&d.. and about 90 to 120 days delivery.. (from last week if it makes few days different.. )

althought you can make purchase it already from our e-store sometime this week..
Old October 31st, 2004, 09:22 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sync

look at the dyno chart. it's RIGHT at the start. i think it might have been a mis-dyno or something. not sure. i doubt it actually gives that much performance gain.
Old October 31st, 2004, 10:15 PM   #29
I AM LOST....

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuzezwild
look at the dyno chart. it's RIGHT at the start. i think it might have been a mis-dyno or something. not sure. i doubt it actually gives that much performance gain.
hmm.. i just realizde the chart of ame cai + unichip is showing up wrong.. it is actually showing comptech cai+greddy catback+nos+unichip.. but the matrix is correct.. it does produce that much gain..

in any case, i fixed the image link and correct chart is showing up now..

as for mis-dyno? well.. i don't know why it is so hard to beleive that unichip does gives out this much performance gain?
Old October 31st, 2004, 11:07 PM   #30

wow. that's CRAZY! right off the line? that'll do serious good things to your launches.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in