throttle body spacers?? - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old November 3rd, 2004, 05:02 PM  

throttle body spacers??

Hello all,
i have finshed engineering a new style throttle body spacer for the 7th gen accord
v6 sixSpeed. will have the dyno test soon.. so if u guys are intersted let me know
and of course i will hook u guys up with the price and it will sale for more out of this av6 family site...
Monky is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 3rd, 2004, 05:46 PM  
Nothing special

Send a message via AIM to blu6speed
Hot damn, I'll be staying tuned to see the results.
blu6speed is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old November 3rd, 2004, 05:50 PM  
fonda my honda

Send a message via AIM to tx03coupe
I'm Interested!!!
tx03coupe is offline   Quick reply to this message

Old November 3rd, 2004, 08:55 PM  
you gotta rub to dub!

Send a message via AIM to relentless
Im interested.
relentless is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old November 3rd, 2004, 08:58 PM  
Senior Moderhater

Send a message via AIM to abram2001
pics?
abram2001 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old November 3rd, 2004, 11:49 PM  
mog

This will be great. Since we have drive-by-wire, we know any gain will be real and not the false perception from tightening the throttle cable.
mog is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old November 4th, 2004, 10:16 AM  

Cool! So are you just doing this as a hobby?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

LX V6
sandwiches is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old November 4th, 2004, 10:55 AM  

What on earth would a spacer possibly do for our overly computer controlled cars?

J
Jinx32 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old November 4th, 2004, 11:35 AM  
ex scientia vera

<----
Could someone educate this noob on what a throttle body spacer is for and/or what it does? Thanks
<----
kramer2k is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old November 4th, 2004, 12:05 PM  

Well hobby?? depends on how u look at it,hahah....i have a machine shop here in cali, and this is my job, i do stuff for areo space and other companys and since i love cars i try to build stuff for it espeacily the accord, my next project is a turbo for the accord v6 sixSpeed..

as for the noob some one please take him to school, i would galdly explain to him but i don't have time right now im working.. but its all good, gotta start learning form some where...No question is a stupid question....
Old November 4th, 2004, 12:12 PM  

im a noob too. and can that turbo go for the auto too? please?
deuzezwild is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old November 4th, 2004, 12:43 PM  

I'm a noob three, but I went and looked up throttle body spacers online. Here's what summit racing said about theirs, I would assume this marketing statement would apply to any throttle body spacer.

Quote:
exceptional design of the bore causes the incoming airflow to actually smooth out and speed up. This creates a type of compacted air-charge that enters through the throttle body and builds pressure in the combustion chamber. This will result in an extensive gain in the mid-range power band and an overall increase in fuel economy.
DangerMouse is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old November 4th, 2004, 12:55 PM  

Thats true, but the thing is that the trottle body spacer wat it is surpose to do is rush the air throw and spines the air into the engine so u will get a better mixter of gas and air, thus creating air and fuel mixter better, better mixter of fuel and air better it bruns and a little more horse power and millage gain.... if air goes smoothley in, there woundn't be a need to change your stock throttle... i hope this helps...
Old November 4th, 2004, 01:05 PM  
Nothing special

Send a message via AIM to blu6speed
The thought of forced induction on a 6-speed makes me

After all the exhaust work I did, I can see how easy it would be to install a turbo on the car. I was afraid with the exhaust manifold being part of the block we would have trouble getting the turbo close enough to the exhaust ports. But, after looking closely, the cats are really close to the ports and if they were unbolted, would be the perfect spot for turbos. It would take some effort to take care of all the piping, esp incorporating the intercoolers, but its def possible. (IMHO) The toughest part would be the electronic side of things- Controling the amount of boost, controling the fuel levels, etc etc.
blu6speed is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old November 4th, 2004, 01:08 PM  

Send a message via AIM to accord03
does it hiss like the older ones on the 6th gen?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RIP

Hello Prius.

old sn: AwSoMNaMjA
accord03 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old November 4th, 2004, 01:23 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuzezwild
im a noob too. and can that turbo go for the auto too? please?
It probably can, but you won't want to boost it by much (makes the $$$ spent not worth much) ... that's unless you want automato tranny soup ..

Wild guess, our 5AT probably can safely handle up to 200-205 ft.lb. of torque at the wheel before becoming clutch slurpee ..
Old November 4th, 2004, 01:45 PM  
God of Car

Send a message via AIM to i3igpete
can you get any screen captures of the CFD?
i3igpete is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old November 4th, 2004, 02:32 PM  
14.58 =Quickest Gen7 auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipribadi
Wild guess, our 5AT probably can safely handle up to 200-205 ft.lb. of torque at the wheel before becoming clutch slurpee ..
Isn't Acura already putting at least that much through it now??

Quote:
Originally Posted by i3igpete
can you get any screen captures of the CFD?
What in the world leads you to believe he ran any cfd on it?
03LXV6Guy is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old November 4th, 2004, 03:57 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03LXV6Guy
Isn't Acura already putting at least that much through it now??
I don't think the 5AT of the '04 TL is the same as the Accord's.
But you are correct, the '04 TL already puts about this amount.

Most of the caution comes from experiences with the 6th gen AV6 with the s/c. Since no 7th gen FI system exist yet, I haven't heard of the AV6 5AT failling. But I agree .. for auto tranny's stay away from FI applications.

If anyone is willing to try ... please do and let me know how it goes!

Quote:
Hmm .. I know CFD to be Computational Fluid Dynamics.
ipribadi is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old November 4th, 2004, 05:02 PM  
wearYELLOW :: liveSTRONG

How much horsepower do you think the 6-speed transmissions can safely handle?

Last edited by The Sync; November 4th, 2004 at 08:36 PM..
The Sync is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old November 4th, 2004, 05:35 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipribadi
I don't think the 5AT of the '04 TL is the same as the Accord's.
But you are correct, the '04 TL already puts about this amount.

Most of the caution comes from experiences with the 6th gen AV6 with the s/c. Since no 7th gen FI system exist yet, I haven't heard of the AV6 5AT failling. But I agree .. for auto tranny's stay away from FI applications.

If anyone is willing to try ... please do and let me know how it goes!
that's what im worried about. **** me. what if i max out all the NA stuff i can get? will that still fuxor my tranny?
deuzezwild is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old November 4th, 2004, 05:42 PM  
yeaaaaaa

Send a message via AIM to neelio
how much would this throttle bottle cost? im a rookie at installing things myself, would i be able to install it my self?
neelio is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old November 4th, 2004, 07:39 PM  

The price hasn't been set yet, but it will be ceeper for u guys, and its very easy to install i'll have good instrutions for it like all my other old models....as for the psi pressure and stuff i sill have to do some more planing and researching...
Old November 5th, 2004, 01:25 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuzezwild
that's what im worried about. **** me. what if i max out all the NA stuff i can get? will that still fuxor my tranny?
I assume you have the 5AT.
There's always 2 ways to make your car faster .. 1. more power, 2. less mass/inertia

For power mods .. I don't think any n/a mods can really break 205 ft.lb on a AV6 5AT so you should be fine. But if you can go over 205 ft.lb., you're better balancing your mods between power and weight.

Reducing your car's weight and moment of inertia actually relieves your tranny from being stressed.

If you oftenly WOT your car while towing a 1,000lb trailer up a hill .. your tranny will blow for sure!!
If you WOT your car with 350 ft.lb of torque but with your front wheels in the air, your tranny will never break no matter what.

The safety margin of <205 ft.lb is for stock weight and inertia (and assuming you want your tranny to last >50K)

You can reduce your car's weight (cf hood, cf trunk, etc) and moment of inertia (light weight forged rims, light weight brake rotors, light weight pulleys)

Weight mods gives you double if not triple benefits:
1. Your car will be faster (especially 0-60mph time and 60-0 braking)
2. Your car will handle better (you'll be more nimble and corner faster)
3. Less stress on your car's components (tranny, suspensions, tires, frame, etc)

This is how Honda mfg their cars in the '90s .. it's just now that people simply go for whatever has the highest HP numbers.

Anyways ... back to the TB spacer ..
ipribadi is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old November 5th, 2004, 02:57 PM  

After doing much research on the internet, I have yet to find any one single website that is not commercially selling throttle body spacers, that praises the performance gains on fuel injected vehicles from this type of modification. What I found interesting over at a PT Loser website was a conversation about how some guys got pissed that they saw no performance (fuel economy or hp) increase, and then badgered to death the manufacturer until he finally admitted there is no noticeable gains from this kind of install. I believe this kind of modification to only be necessary on carburated/throttle body/tuned port injected vehicles with short plenum spacing before it splits directly into the cylinder intake runners. On our vehicles, once the air passes through the TB and into the intake manifold, it hits a fork (negating any additional air straightening benefits of a TB spacer) and then each bank runs through 3 channels into a larger center plenum divided into two parts (until upper rpms open up the center butterflies). So please explain to me how a spacer is supposed to help when a single particle of intake air needs to pass through 5+ turns before it passes through the intake valve. And since the install process is so short and easy, it should be easy to do a before and after dyno test to prove me wrong.

J
Jinx32 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old November 5th, 2004, 09:08 PM  
OJ Orignal Jew

Send a message via AIM to jiggerman78
im in if its cheap
jiggerman78 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old November 5th, 2004, 11:30 PM  
God of Car

Send a message via AIM to i3igpete
Quote:

he claims to have engineered a TBspacer. so pretty much this is his only proof of it doing a damn thing. mileage and power increases can both easily be chalked up to error (which can be pretty big, even for the exact same dyno on the exact same day). but just show me a CFD analysis that lends to his claim, and i will be behind him 100% of the way.
i3igpete is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old November 6th, 2004, 02:02 AM  

Send a message via AIM to peshford55
im interested also
peshford55 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old November 7th, 2004, 12:26 AM  
cunning linguist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx32
After doing much research on the internet, I have yet to find any one single website that is not commercially selling throttle body spacers, that praises the performance gains on fuel injected vehicles from this type of modification. What I found interesting over at a PT Loser website was a conversation about how some guys got pissed that they saw no performance (fuel economy or hp) increase, and then badgered to death the manufacturer until he finally admitted there is no noticeable gains from this kind of install. I believe this kind of modification to only be necessary on carburated/throttle body/tuned port injected vehicles with short plenum spacing before it splits directly into the cylinder intake runners. On our vehicles, once the air passes through the TB and into the intake manifold, it hits a fork (negating any additional air straightening benefits of a TB spacer) and then each bank runs through 3 channels into a larger center plenum divided into two parts (until upper rpms open up the center butterflies). So please explain to me how a spacer is supposed to help when a single particle of intake air needs to pass through 5+ turns before it passes through the intake valve. And since the install process is so short and easy, it should be easy to do a before and after dyno test to prove me wrong.

J
Sadly this is a universal truth everywhere outside the import world. Go to a Mustang/Vette/Camaro or other high HP site asking about a TB spacer and you'll likely be laughed off of the site. While the concept is good, and it has the potential to work, I just don't see gains of more than 1-2 hp. And an amount that small on a dyno is worthless. Back to back runs without any changes frequently have discrepencies larger than that.
The last thing I want to do is rain on anyone's parade, and if there are legitimate dyno gains (on back to back runs, on the same dyno, same temp/density/coeficient) there will be no one more happy than I. But sadly I don't give it much hope.

Brian <---Hoping to be proven wrong.

-Brian-
04 6spd Coupe-> 10 4cyl Coupe-> 11 V6 Coupe
07 V6 Auto Sedan-> 10 CR-V
Mod'd Z06 - Sold for move
MorePower4me is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old November 7th, 2004, 12:32 AM  
J32A2 + SC + Meth AV6

Send a message via ICQ to BlackV62K2 Send a message via AIM to BlackV62K2 Send a message via MSN to BlackV62K2
Most 6th gen V6 guys have the SPC TB spacer and to be honest, I dont think you'll see even 3whp gains from it. You'll be luck to get 1-2. I have it on my car, and I dont notice anything from it except the cool sound it makes.
BlackV62K2 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in