best intake & exhaust kit i can get for my av6? - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 17th, 2004, 09:26 PM   #1
wj4

best intake & exhaust kit i can get for my av6?

hey guys i have a white 04 auto av6 coupe. i will have this car for the next couple of yrs so im hoping to modify it a little bit. i just want to gain some low end torque so i can take off a bit faster and add some purrs to the car

i see many nice exhausts posted on here, but i still have no clue of which to get
i want a system thats not too big like the evo2, but somewhat bigger than the stock ones and makes a purring sound when u gas up

and also for intake, im still going back and forth between cai and short ram...what do u guys think is the best choice for me? one of the biggest fear of me gettin a cai is hydrolocking it, even tho im in so cal, where it rains but it never floods to around 2-3 feet or what have u. but it still haunts my mind every now and then

and as far as installation goes....what do u guys suggest? im not exactly the mosts car savvy person on here so im guessing that i should take the parts to a dealership or a honda shop for install so let say, something goes wrong or a defect comes out from another part of the car and i take it back to a honda dealership, they cant say that "my mods caused the problem because they were installed by an amatuer, not a pro" or something of that nature.

any help is much appreciated. thnx guys!
wj4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 17th, 2004, 10:19 PM   #2

first off, I would use the search feature, its very helpful. A lot of people like the greddy evo2, I have them and love the sound but I hate the size of the tips. I'm thinking about getting rid of them and getting the tanabe exhaust.

And about the warranty, just because a honda dealer installed it doesn't mean they can't void the warranty on something. If something goes wrong due to a bad installation of one of the aftermarket parts they installed then sure, they should fix it. But its hard to have a bad intake or exhaust install anyways. Things may go wrong just because a certain aftermarket part is there, as long as they can prove that aftermarket part caused the damage, they can void the warranty even if they installed it.

Last edited by lazybum; November 17th, 2004 at 10:21 PM..
lazybum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 17th, 2004, 11:06 PM   #3
wj4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazybum
first off, I would use the search feature, its very helpful. A lot of people like the greddy evo2, I have them and love the sound but I hate the size of the tips. I'm thinking about getting rid of them and getting the tanabe exhaust.

And about the warranty, just because a honda dealer installed it doesn't mean they can't void the warranty on something. If something goes wrong due to a bad installation of one of the aftermarket parts they installed then sure, they should fix it. But its hard to have a bad intake or exhaust install anyways. Things may go wrong just because a certain aftermarket part is there, as long as they can prove that aftermarket part caused the damage, they can void the warranty even if they installed it.
i did used the search feature to find info about cai and short ram...i read many posts, which of them were mixed answers so this is why im still confused. i also looked at the exhaust vids and thought that the borla sounded the best. but i want to know the best combo between an intake and exhaust system for both sound and performance.

and as far as installing aftermarket parts at dealerships, from what i know...not all dealerships do it, only participating ones. and they even sell the parts in their part and service shop so i think they do want their customers to buy the parts. u are right on the last part tho, if they can prove that my mod did in fact cause some damage, then that part of the warranty is gone.

Old November 18th, 2004, 06:34 AM   #4

Most people on this board get either the Injen CAI or the AEM v2 cai, actually I haven't heard of anyone getting a short ram intake on a 7th gen v6. I just checked on aem and injen's webpages and neither have a short ram intake, so cai is the only option. AEM is releasing a regular CAI soon as well, or it may already have been released. There is a guy on this board that reviewed both the V2 and the injen intakes. I think its pretty much a toss up between the 2.

As for the exhausts, you have a choice between Greddy, Borla, Tanabe, Comptech, and Magnaflow. I'm sure there are other exhausts out there but those are the one's most used by members on this board. I've heard nothing but good thigns about the Greddy, Borla, and Tanabe. I dont think anyone on this board has purchased the comptech yet, but I'm sure its a great exhaust. I'm not sure about the magnaflow exhaust. All the exhausts will pretty much give you the same HP numbers. Its just a matter of personal preference in the way it looks and the sounds. I have the greddys but haven't heard what it sounds like from outside my car, but I've heard it very closely sounds like a 350z/g35. The tanabe exhaust supposedly sounds just a low but not as throaty as the greddy. None of the exhausts for our car are loud except maybe the magnaflow or some other lower quality brands.

As for the combo between the intake and the exhaust, i dont think it really matter for our car. I have the v2 and greddy. I love the sound, but I don't like the way the evo2 looks. It looks like a ricer fart can that shoots watermelons. I'm thinking about selling the greddy exhaust and getting the tanabe. Anyone interested?
Old November 18th, 2004, 02:08 PM   #5
get'cha roll on...

Send a message via AIM to v6SicksSpeed
i have the borlas on my car and i love the way they look, but am a bit disappointed on the sound. Its not bad, just not as loud as i would like it. Greddy has the best sound, but i personally think they rice your car out with the fat ass cans hanging down, plus they are mad bank. I got my borlas for $615 and i dont think there is anyone here who can say they got their greddy for that much. Plus the borlas were so damn easy to install.

I also just got an injen cai. i havent installed it cuz it just came in the mail 2 days ago. its better than the AEM for low end torque (so ive heard) and will give your engine a mean growl (im hoping it will make up for the borlas). check my pics if you wanna see what the borlas look like, i f'n love my set up, but thats just my $0.02

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
v6SicksSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 18th, 2004, 07:37 PM   #6
wj4

Quote:
Originally Posted by v6SicksSpeed
i have the borlas on my car and i love the way they look, but am a bit disappointed on the sound. Its not bad, just not as loud as i would like it. Greddy has the best sound, but i personally think they rice your car out with the fat ass cans hanging down, plus they are mad bank. I got my borlas for $615 and i dont think there is anyone here who can say they got their greddy for that much. Plus the borlas were so damn easy to install.

I also just got an injen cai. i havent installed it cuz it just came in the mail 2 days ago. its better than the AEM for low end torque (so ive heard) and will give your engine a mean growl (im hoping it will make up for the borlas). check my pics if you wanna see what the borlas look like, i f'n love my set up, but thats just my $0.02
which injen cai did u get? the rd? i also heard that the injen is also better than the aem for low end torque, not sure if its true tho but i guess i will see since i just bought one on ebay i like your borla system, the pipes are the right size, and i totally agree with u on the greddy evo2 system having some big ol' coffee cans on the back lol
Old November 19th, 2004, 07:29 AM   #7
get'cha roll on...

yea its the injen rd, im not sure what the difference is but its a more updated version ( like the aem and aem v2). i think the borlas and injen rd will make an amazing combo together

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old December 3rd, 2004, 09:07 AM   #8
Die-Hard Enthusiast!!

Send a message via AIM to Sick6speed Send a message via Yahoo to Sick6speed
I would get the AEM V2 and of course the true dual exhaust system! I got your Pm Wj4 anytime is cool with me. Why don't we do it this weekend!

818 Weekly Meet&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">
Sick6speed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 3rd, 2004, 10:51 AM   #9
wj4

i can meet up on saturday after 12pm if ur available thanks again bro!
Old December 3rd, 2004, 01:45 PM   #10
Got VTEC?...

I would get the Comptech exhaust. I've had it for a few weeks now, and it sounds wonderful, and the power gains are worth it. I LOVE it!

As far as an intake, I would wait for the comptech Icebox, which is due to come out sometime after christmas. Neither of these items will negate ANY warranty, and when it comes to quality, Comptech simply cannot be beat.
ComptechAccord4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 3rd, 2004, 05:17 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComptechAccord4
I would get the Comptech exhaust. I've had it for a few weeks now, and it sounds wonderful, and the power gains are worth it. I LOVE it!

As far as an intake, I would wait for the comptech Icebox, which is due to come out sometime after christmas. Neither of these items will negate ANY warranty, and when it comes to quality, Comptech simply cannot be beat.

I've heard minimal to no gains from exhaust systems. How much did you get from yours ? I have k&n that can easily be converted to sri.
Rick
THERUIZFAMILY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 3rd, 2004, 05:19 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazybum

PM me if decide to get rid of greddy evo2
THERUIZFAMILY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 5th, 2004, 05:58 PM   #13
Got VTEC?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by THERUIZFAMILY
I've heard minimal to no gains from exhaust systems. How much did you get from yours ? I have k&n that can easily be converted to sri.
Rick

Comptech claims 8 Wheel Horsepower and close to 10 Wheel pounds of torque. Those are HUGE gains for an simple catback exhaust! I really noticed a difference when the VTEC kicked in, and they look great too.

The Comptech Cold Air Intake has not arrived yet, but the power gains should be pretty good for that as well
Old December 5th, 2004, 06:04 PM   #14

borla claims 16hp, 10 tq. big deal. no one likes comptech but you.
deuzezwild is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 5th, 2004, 09:40 PM   #15
Got VTEC?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuzezwild
borla claims 16hp, 10 tq. big deal. no one likes comptech but you.
Ok kid
Old December 5th, 2004, 10:39 PM   #16
DV8
Hella Functional

Send a message via ICQ to DV8 Send a message via AIM to DV8 Send a message via MSN to DV8
I'd hold off on the Comptech Icebox for now.... Chances are, after getting the icebox, u can't get HID Retrofits

but the comptech exhaust is AMAZING. Get htat if you have the money. If not, get a set of the new Magnaflows. Great quality. SS the whole way through, and beautiful sound.

Apexi WS soudns great also.

For intake, i personally went SRI instead of CAI. The few HP gains in power wasn't worth the hassle of cleanning the filter nor the risk of hydrolocking. But in the end... the decision is truly up to you. EIther way, u'll like the setups mentioned above.
DV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 5th, 2004, 10:41 PM   #17
DV8
Hella Functional

Send a message via ICQ to DV8 Send a message via AIM to DV8 Send a message via MSN to DV8
You're crazy..... Run a search and maybe you'll learn something new about how he's not the only person that likes comptech...

Quote:
...no one likes comptech but you.
DV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 5th, 2004, 11:47 PM   #18
Got VTEC?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DV8
I'd hold off on the Comptech Icebox for now.... Chances are, after getting the icebox, u can't get HID Retrofits
Sorry, But I am not sure what HID Retrofits are. Please explain. thanks!
Old December 6th, 2004, 09:05 AM   #19

Quote:
Sorry, But I am not sure what HID Retrofits are. Please explain. thanks!

headlights. replacing the halogens with HID's, there's a thing that sticks out the back more than a regular bulb. on 6th gens atleast the icebox sits right behind the left headlight, no room for the HID thing.

Quote:
Neither of these items will negate ANY warranty, and when it comes to quality, Comptech simply cannot be beat.
So you're telling me a comptech exhaust and intake will not negate factory warranty? Do you have this in writing from Honda or something?
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 6th, 2004, 11:18 AM   #20
Got VTEC?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse
headlights. replacing the halogens with HID's, there's a thing that sticks out the back more than a regular bulb. on 6th gens atleast the icebox sits right behind the left headlight, no room for the HID thing.
Oh, thanks! I have a simple solution for that problem, just install the HID's before you buy an icebox intake!

Quote:
So you're telling me a comptech exhaust and intake will not negate factory warranty? Do you have this in writing from Honda or something?
I am absolutly telling you that Comptechs products will NOT negate any warranty. That is why COmptech is a bit more expensive than other aftertmarket companies, because you are also paying for your warranty to be protected. On my old Accord (6th gen) I had everything done to it (Comptech, of course) minus a supercharger, and Honda had no problems working on it for me.

Call Comptech, they will tell you the same thing.
Old December 6th, 2004, 11:34 AM   #21

Quote:
Oh, thanks! I have a simple solution for that problem, just install the HID's before you buy an icebox intake!
If you have HID's, where will you put the icebox? Both items will not fit into the same space. Atleast that's what I've seen from the pictures.

Quote:
I am absolutly telling you that Comptechs products will NOT negate any warranty. That is why COmptech is a bit more expensive than other aftertmarket companies, because you are also paying for your warranty to be protected. On my old Accord (6th gen) I had everything done to it (Comptech, of course) minus a supercharger, and Honda had no problems working on it for me.

Call Comptech, they will tell you the same thing.
Well of course Comptech will tell me that Maybe I'll call Honda, hear it from them. Who knows, maybe you just got a nice dealer. Did you get any warranty work done, or was is all paid by you?
Old December 6th, 2004, 12:10 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by DV8
You're crazy..... Run a search and maybe you'll learn something new about how he's not the only person that likes comptech...
no, i'm just not feeling how he's either being paid and doing a crappy job of trying to blend in and convince us to buy comptech or some idiotic fanboy who thinks comptech is god.
Old December 6th, 2004, 01:57 PM   #23
Got VTEC?...

Quote:
no, i'm just not feeling how he's either being paid and doing a crappy job of trying to blend in and convince us to buy comptech or some idiotic fanboy who thinks comptech is god.

Your funny kid
Old December 6th, 2004, 02:04 PM   #24

you've still yet to address which of the two you are. and learn the hell when to use you're.
Old December 6th, 2004, 02:05 PM   #25

Comptech parts not voiding warranty is BS. You just had a nice dealer work on your car. True, the whole car's warranty won't be voided but if a particular comptech part caused something else to malfunction, even if it is an installation problem, then the warranty on that part is voided.

For example, lets just say the comptech icebox is released for our cars, and someone gets hydrolocked (this is just theoretical), honda is not going to fix that with the reason being the air intake system has been changed.

Comptech parts are expensive because for the most part its low volume and they do all the r&d in house and of course the excellent quality.

Ok going back on topic, I believe all quality catback exhausts for our car are going to show very very similar gains unless I'm proven wrong with dyno tests. They all have very similar bends in the pipes as well as the same diameter piping, i guess the only place it would really affect a NA car is the muffler.

Last edited by lazybum; December 6th, 2004 at 02:12 PM..
Old December 6th, 2004, 02:19 PM   #26
get'cha roll on...

Quote:

ive never heard him post anything except trying to convince somebody that comptech is better than (insert any brand name here)

Last edited by v6SicksSpeed; December 6th, 2004 at 02:21 PM..
Old December 6th, 2004, 03:54 PM   #27

So ComptechAccord4, what do you think of the new STS turbo?
Old December 6th, 2004, 08:47 PM   #28
Got VTEC?...

Quote:
So ComptechAccord4, what do you think of the new STS turbo?
Too much strain on the engine. Get the Comptech supercharger instead. Its safer and has more reliable power.
Old December 6th, 2004, 08:56 PM   #29

Send a message via AIM to accord03
best setup woudl have to be a nice filter, maybe the APEXi or K&N or even hks..that is what matters the most...the piping of a cai is all the same....but the v2...intake is totally up to u....for exhaust i would personally get whatever sounds and loooks best to u...there is a lot of options now...tanabe, greddy, borla, comptech, magnaflow, and so on...but whatever u get u should get for looks because the gains are going to be all about the same....give or take 3-5 hp between the diffeerent exhausts....and those hps u wont even notice...i personally have a custom single (i have v6) greddy evo...and i love the sound...it sounds like a g35 ish...and isnt loud at all...and the look of the can is pretty nice. so my advice is to just get what ever you think looks and sounds the best.

Quote:
retrofit is puting another cars stock projector into our stock housing..and the reason the 6th gen people have trouble is becuase of the ice box taking up alll the room having no room for the backing of the projector to fit(some projectors are big...size of a waffle ball or bigger)...it doesnt just mean gettin hids..becuase that wouldnt be a problem with the ice box....

but yeah i agree with everyone else...comptech u sound like a cheap ad from comptech...and to me this is NOT getting any points from me....makes me wonder how cheap they really have to be to send someone like u...or does comptech even know who u are? honestly to me u make the product look bad...and dont call me a kid.

Last edited by accord03; December 6th, 2004 at 09:03 PM..
accord03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 6th, 2004, 08:59 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by accord03
retrofit is puting another cars stock projector into our stock housing..and the reason the 6th gen people have trouble is becuase of the ice box taking up alll the room having no room for the backing of the projector to fit(some projectors are big...size of a waffle ball or bigger)...it doesnt just mean gettin hids..becuase that wouldnt be a problem with the ice box....
That's what I meant to say

Quote:
Too much strain on the engine. Get the Comptech supercharger instead. Its safer and has more reliable power.
damn I must be psychic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in