scratch, rattle and roll...my AEM v2 is making a racket! - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 23rd, 2004, 12:31 PM   #1
fool

scratch, rattle and roll...my AEM v2 is making a racket!

Hi,

I just picked up a 2003 AV6 MT yesterday and really love the car. It was a bit rainy out, though, so i couldn't really toy with the car too much...suffice it to say i did have some fun...

Today the roads are dry and the air is cool, and i've really had a better opportunity to open her up and get a feel for the car. The previous owner installed an AEM v2 CAI in the car just after he purchased it. While during the testdrive i thought the sound was a little offputting, i have grown to really like it....most of it that is.

The first thing that i've noticed is that if i'm sitting at idle and blip the throttle, i hear what could best be described as a 'scratch'... I first thought it was some mechanism/linkage in the throttle body opening up, but after doing the 'stand with one foot in the car and the hood open' inspection, it sounds more like the sudden influx of air as the pressure in the tube drops and the airflow builds up (kind of the 'vacuum packed' sound). I'm not sure what it is exactly, but am just looking for some input to make sure it's nothing bad.

Second is, when i'm WOT and getting into the low 5k rpms, i start to hear a sharp 'blatting' sound from the other side of the firewall. I'm assuming it's the tube, possibly just the sound of air getting sucked into the motor at some huge speed (not sure what the airspeed is around the valve seat when the car is at 5k rpm, but i'm sure it's high). Also just wondering if that's normal or not.

I found that the tube was cool to the touch even after a fairly hard drive, and was wondering if anyone has played with a strip of dynamat or similar down the back of it... I just want to hear the motor, not the tube.
jcims is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 23rd, 2004, 12:43 PM   #2

i don't know about the first one... but as for the second one, i think thats somewhat intended. the only constant complaint that i've heard and experienced with CAIs in general is the little whistle sound at around 2300 rpm. but that happens with everything.
deuzezwild is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 24th, 2004, 08:32 AM   #3

Blipping the throttle at idle with the AEM V2 will cause that sound you are talking about. It is a sudden influx of air rushing into the intake plenum. You cannot hear it that well with the stock intake system due to the baffles and isolation tube(a dead end wavy tube coming off the intake in the fender). The noise at the low 5000 rpm range is the harmonics kicking in with the V2. Also at 4900 rpm the variable timing switches over as well. This will be the loudest sudden change you will hear. You should also hear a change in pitch at 4000 when the intake plenum separation butterflies open up also. And don't forget the 2500 rpm whistle at POT.

Lotsa noise, lotsa power. Let's me know everything is working.

J

Last edited by Jinx32; November 24th, 2004 at 08:48 AM..
Jinx32 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old November 24th, 2004, 09:42 AM   #4
Stoner Boner

I can make my V2 whistle at any RPM . Just have to learn to give it a little more gas as the RPM's climb, and I mean a very very tiny bit. I love driving by cars doing that....

THEM WHISTLES GO WOO WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO....yea I know...not the same thing, but I can hope haha.

The AEM V2 CAI is a nice intake system, and I'd suggest getting exhaust sometime soon after if you can afford it. I got the GReddy EVO 2's, 2nd most expensive exhaust out for our cars, was $800ish, but well worth it.

Mods: My mods were taken away by the mods.

Best To Date: [email protected] (CAI, Exhaust) 2.23 60'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Previous: [email protected] (CAI, Exhaust) 2.13 60'
stoner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 24th, 2004, 10:03 AM   #5
WISCONSIN IS GREAT!

Send a message via AIM to NateCBR Send a message via Yahoo to NateCBR
[QUOTE=stoner]I can make my V2 whistle at any RPM . Just have to learn to give it a little more gas as the RPM's climb, and I mean a very very tiny bit. I love driving by cars doing that....

THEM WHISTLES GO WOO WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO....yea I know...not the same thing, but I can hope haha.
QUOTE]

bubb rubb!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BWUAAAHHHHH!!!!!

That shi was classic!!!
NateCBR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in