cai +rain+snow=? - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 29th, 2004, 11:03 AM   #1
LiL D33z33

cai +rain+snow=?

Before i drop 200 on a cai
i was wondering if i really have anything to worry about with rain and snow?
It doesnt 'flood' around here, but some roads will form about a 3-5' level pudle of water on roads sometimes when it rains.
Would that suck up water?
Or u know how sometimes u are just driving around and there are cars in the other lane, u cant get over, and bam u hit a huge puddle of water that sprays everyone on he sidewalk?
Would that seeze it up?
It also can snow up to a couple of feet where i live, and sometimes my roads r completely covered in snow, driving threw this would seeze it?
Ive scearched on this forum and havent found much about this...

Ive narrowed it down to the injen or v2, and apon reading up on this,
people say injen is better for the lower end..
So i think i want that.
But before i get it, i need to make sure im ok..

Thx

Last edited by DeezV604; November 29th, 2004 at 11:42 AM..
DeezV604 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 29th, 2004, 11:11 AM   #2

if you did a search, you'd know that if you get a CAI you can't wash your car anymore because you'll hydrolock.
nodoubt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 29th, 2004, 11:39 AM   #3
LiL D33z33

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodoubt
if you did a search, you'd know that if you get a CAI you can't wash your car anymore because you'll hydrolock.

Lol i did find that post.

Old November 29th, 2004, 11:46 AM   #4

the short answer is...you'll be fine.

the long answer is...actually, just accept the short answer.
Old November 29th, 2004, 11:51 AM   #5
LiL D33z33

Quote:
the short answer is...you'll be fine.

the long answer is...actually, just accept the short answer.
But i want to keep my car for a LONG time
so whats the Long answear?

U got a CAI?
Old November 29th, 2004, 11:53 AM   #6

Send a message via AIM to AV6on19s
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeezV604
But i want to keep my car for a LONG time
so whats the Long answear?

U got a CAI?
Ive had CAI for 40k miles... no problems and I wash my car 1-2x a week
AV6on19s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 29th, 2004, 11:57 AM   #7
LiL D33z33

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV6on19s
Ive had CAI for 40k miles... no problems and I wash my car 1-2x a week
HAHAHAHA

No problems wit big puddles?

I know if u fully submerge it, ur F#cked
was jus looking to see if anyone has hydrolocked the engine hitting big puddles and such.
Old November 29th, 2004, 11:58 AM   #8

what does wanting to keep your car for a long time have to do with getting an intake? does that mean that other ppl who get CAI's don't want to keep their cars for a long time?

bottom line: there is a risk under extreme h20 conditions which involve submerging your car. common rain/snow/etc. is not gonna kill your engine.

i, however, hate stressing over mods. so i decided to get the SRI for my 6th generation. life stresses me out enough. i don't need to add any unnecessary stress like driving through a f*kin puddle, ya know? that's just me though.

good luck with your decision, grasshopper. happy driving!
Old November 29th, 2004, 12:10 PM   #9
LiL D33z33

Quote:
what does wanting to keep your car for a long time have to do with getting an intake? does that mean that other ppl who get CAI's don't want to keep their cars for a long time?

bottom line: there is a risk under extreme h20 conditions which involve submerging your car. common rain/snow/etc. is not gonna kill your engine.

i, however, hate stressing over mods. so i decided to get the SRI for my 6th generation. life stresses me out enough. i don't need to add any unnecessary stress like driving through a f*kin puddle, ya know? that's just me though.

good luck with your decision, grasshopper. happy driving!
Good point, i feel the same way as far as the stress thing goes.
I know people that have a CAI, but they baby the sh#t out of the car and id be surprised if they even take the thing out when it rains or snows.
Me on the other hand I drive my car everyday through all kinds of weather.
I guess ill be all good unless i drive my car into the ocean?!?!
Old November 29th, 2004, 12:37 PM   #10

yeah you'll be fine unless, for instance...you're racing some dude and then you fly off of a cliff into an ocean filled with man-eating sharks and intake-eating whales.
Old November 29th, 2004, 01:28 PM   #11

Thats why I got a K&N. I can easily convert it to sri
THERUIZFAMILY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 29th, 2004, 01:36 PM   #12
Retired the Accord

I've had my Injen on my 6th gen for about 3 years, the last 2 years I've just swapped it out with a AEM short ram to ease my stress. As for washing, I wash my car at the drive through flyin J truck stop and no problems so far. I do avoid large puddles when it rains enough.

Being able to switch from CAI to SRI might be your best bet. It sounds like you live where the conditions warrant such a buy.

Good luck - watch out for those cliffs!
justkillin_time is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 29th, 2004, 02:02 PM   #13
fool

Quote:
yeah you'll be fine unless, for instance...you're racing some dude and then you fly off of a cliff into an ocean filled with man-eating sharks and intake-eating whales.
You could also look into bypass valves. The intent of them is to ensure that the engine never inhales water... I read that they take away horsepower, but so does a cylinder full of H2O... I just picked up a used 2003 accord v6 with the aem v2 in it already. I'm thinking about getting the bypass valve to avoid that nagging concern (although the AEM site does not clearly indicate that there is a bypass valve for the v2)
jcims is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 29th, 2004, 05:15 PM   #14
wearYELLOW :: liveSTRONG

I ordered the Injen intake for my car and took it to a local performance shop that does strictly imports, and when I was to have it installed, they asked if I had a bypass valve. Well, I didn't have one and they told me the importance of one and "if" water gets sucked up into your engine, the aftermath can be devastaing (they showed me a picture of a bent piston rod, kinda scared me) But I asked if the bypass valve will restrict any horsepower because i've read on here that it will and they said it wouldn't. They said the only way it will restrict any horsepower is if the diameter of the bypass valve itself is smaller than the intakes diameter. He said its just a precaution and its better to spend $50 for the bypass valve then a few hundred dollars to replace a piston rod or anything else internal. So they cut my intake into 2 pieces, fitted a bypass valve in the middle (a little lower than the Injen logo) and there it was. And as I drive it around, there is definitely no power loss in horsepower or torque. I can feel a huge different in power over stock. If your looking for a full intake and not a short ram, get the bypass valve. It makes you feel better when it does pour.

And by the way, the day I got my intake w/ the bypass valve installed, it rained for 3 days. Just thought i'd throw that in there.
The Sync is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 29th, 2004, 05:22 PM   #15
now in a 2004 Acura TSX

Send a message via AIM to carbon98accord Send a message via Yahoo to carbon98accord
the only car that i know of that really needs a bypass on thier CAI is s2000s because thier CAI intake is "L" shaped at the end of the filter, so if one were to go into a deep puddle, the water would go through the filter and just chill in the piping, and when the engine "intakes'" it intakes water. for 6th gen accords (and i assume for 7th gens also) the CAI is "l" shaped, so i wouldnt see how water could get stuck in there, unless the filter was fully submerged in water

and bypass valves do rob hp, barely any, not noticeable to your "butt dyno" but noticeable on a real dyno
carbon98accord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 29th, 2004, 05:45 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbon98accord
and bypass valves do rob hp, barely any, not noticeable to your "butt dyno" but noticeable on a real dyno

Doesn't seem like any horsepower was lost when I was reading their dyno sheets on cars with before and after dynos with the bypass valve installed and unistalled. Both were the same.
Old November 29th, 2004, 06:15 PM   #17
now in a 2004 Acura TSX

Send a message via AIM to carbon98accord Send a message via Yahoo to carbon98accord
^link?
carbon98accord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 29th, 2004, 06:28 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbon98accord
^link?

I have a link to the performance shop web site, but no link to the dyno. It was inside the shop posted on a dyno board.

www.jotechracing.com
Old November 29th, 2004, 08:24 PM   #19

Send a message via AIM to AV6on19s
Quote:
HAHAHAHA

No problems wit big puddles?

was jus looking to see if anyone has hydrolocked the engine hitting big puddles and such.

Well I dont drive thru submerged streets or anything, but we do have some heavy rains here in NJ at times. Another postive is that most puddles are on the sides of the streets, but our 7th intake is on the driver side of the car so it stays more in the center of the road. I have submerged my right side of the car making right turns in descent sized puddles. My old Talon TSi had a 3" CAI almost on the damn ground on the right side and I had to be much more careful in big rain storms, but even with that I never had a problem! Also, the CAI on my accord - you cant touch the filter from beneath the car, only thru the front vent so Id have to go in a 6-9inch puddle to really get water in there.
AV6on19s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 29th, 2004, 09:09 PM   #20

A CAI with a bypass will lose power. No ifs ands or buts. You're cutting the tube (and in the V2 the tube length is very important for resonance) and putting a hole in it so now air is being drawn in from the engine bay as well as the filter. The point of a CAI is to draw air from outside the car so that it is cooler- cooler air is more dense- dense air = more air = more power (with more fuel added). With a bypass you're drawing in warmer air (and I wouldn't be surprised if more air was being pulled in through the bypass than the filter since it's a shorter path to the engine, effectively making your CAI an SRI).

Anyway CAI > CAI + bypass
Captal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 29th, 2004, 10:54 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captal
A CAI with a bypass will lose power. No ifs ands or buts. You're cutting the tube (and in the V2 the tube length is very important for resonance) and putting a hole in it so now air is being drawn in from the engine bay as well as the filter. The point of a CAI is to draw air from outside the car so that it is cooler- cooler air is more dense- dense air = more air = more power (with more fuel added). With a bypass you're drawing in warmer air (and I wouldn't be surprised if more air was being pulled in through the bypass than the filter since it's a shorter path to the engine, effectively making your CAI an SRI).

Anyway CAI > CAI + bypass

Well first, I don't have a V2, I have an Injen intake. And this is how a bypass really works. The AEM air-bypass valve sits upstream of the air filter and normally does nothing. If the filter gets submerged in water, however, there will be a slight vacuum in the pipe as the engine tries to suck the water up the pipe. This slight vacuum opens up 12 rubber flaps in the air-bypass valve, allowing the engine to breathe air through the bypass valve's small foam filter. When the water level drops, the vacuum goes away and the main filter supplies air again.

Underneath the foam cover on the bypass valve is this series of rubber flap doors that are normally sealed closed. So during normal driving, you aren't bringing in any warm air through the bypass, unless submerged. Very little warm air will leak in through the bypass if none at all. And even if it somehow did, its not enough to make any horsepower difference unless the entire thing is wide open since its so small to begin with.

Besides, the performance shop actually placed my bypass valve farther away from the engine than a SRI. Its on the right side of my battery. So either through the bypass or actually through the filter at the bottom, I still get cold air, so its all good.

No hard feelings. You can go here and read if you like.

www.sportcompactcarweb.com/tech/0104scc_tested/
Old November 29th, 2004, 11:27 PM   #22
St. Louis!

good show sync.
Kingof3rdinput is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 29th, 2004, 11:29 PM   #23
fool

I can certainly understand that CAI > CAI + bypass...but is CAI + bypass > stock? In my case, the things already installed and paid for, so i'm not worried about justifying the purchase of the CAI. I'm just wondering if i should pay the $50 or whatever for a bypass, or just put the stock box back on for the times where i'm worried.

If i get +8HP or whatever from the V2, and lose 1-4 HP from a bypass..i'd do it... If it fully negates the CAI (which seems absurd), i'd save the cash and put the stock box back on from Jan-April or so...where i have to worry the most about water/slush/etc... I left a message at AEM this morning on this topic, i can't figure out what they are trying to say in their FAQ about a bypass on the v2 (other than 'dont do it')

edit: duh - missed the link... it supports the bypass, but i can't tell if it is talking about the v2 or not. AEM seems pretty proud of the resonator effect, which the bypass apparently kills.

Last edited by jcims; November 29th, 2004 at 11:37 PM..
jcims is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 30th, 2004, 12:08 AM   #24

anyone heard of a bypass for the injens?
deuzezwild is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 30th, 2004, 12:58 AM   #25
I AM LOST....

Send a message via AIM to brex
AEM had said installing bypass valve on V2 will hinder its performance.. as to how.. its anyone's guess.. but i would believe that statement since its not exactly a "positive" statement yet they still release such warning.

My guess is with the design of the V2 and how air flow within it (which is a big selling point of V2).. adding bypass valve would screw it up even when bypass valve not engaged...
brex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 30th, 2004, 01:39 AM   #26
wj4

i just got the injen rd cai today, should i get the bypass installed b4 i put in the cai? i also went to a local import store that do all types of mods and they recommend me to put in a bypass valve. i asked the guy through out his career, has he ever seen a car hydrolocked before...he replied back saying hes seen it around 10 times

also another question....say if ur car does get hydrolocked and ur car is still under warranty....can't u just take off the cai and put the stock system back on and take it to a dealership?
wj4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 30th, 2004, 03:52 AM   #27
BOOOJAWA!

Send a message via AIM to AccordiO
You will be fine. Unless you drive through big ass ponds, cause if u do the water will submerge ur intake filter, therefore creating a vacuum and BOOM!!!!, well more like CLINK!!!. but other than that i'd say get the intake.

as for brand, i have the v2, but it has a annoying sound, injen is a good company just costs $$$
AccordiO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 30th, 2004, 09:54 AM   #28

except the v2 costs more than the injen... but the sound the injen makes is PHENOMENAL. my friend with the g35 coupe was actually like "holy crap this sounds really bad ass"
deuzezwild is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 30th, 2004, 10:37 AM   #29

As far as I know, there is no bypass for the V2. My del Sol VTEC has had an AEM CAI for 215,000 miles now. Still runs fine. No water ingestion. Here in NJ, we get freak tornado's, leftover hurricane juice, torrential dirty rain downpours, nasty 12" snow storms that leave 4' drifts, and poorly kept roads that have more floods than both Halo's combined. Guess what? NO HYDROLOCK! And my intake is on the passenger side which would be lower than the driver side on a crowned road where the puddles form. Also, the tip of my intake is 6.5 inches off the ground. Full submersion would take 12+ inches of water. At that depth, the water would be coming into the passenger compartment through the bottom of the doors. Car would have much more than hydrolock problems at that point. The V2 intake on the Accord is at least 8" off the ground, and is deffinately above the level of the lower door seam.

My suggestion. Let Joe Shmoe go into a questionable puddle before you and watch how deep his car goes. Puddles arent uniform in depth, there is usually a high spot. Hell, worse comes to worse, go through backwards, if the water comes in through the doors, it's too deep.

J
Jinx32 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 30th, 2004, 01:08 PM   #30
14.58 =Quickest Gen7 auto

Quote:
Not necessarily.... if you let off the throttle completely, and can coast thru the puddle (small pond actually..... if it's that deep), then chances are the motor will not ingest enough to lock up. To hydrolock, you gotta have the filter submerged and be under heavy throttle.
03LXV6Guy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in