catback system shaking after install? - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 15th, 2004, 10:30 PM   #1
wj4

catback system shaking after install?

i just have my borla catback system installed and noticed that the cans are kinda loose, (if u kinda kick the exhuast tip, it shakes a little). i know that it isnt supposd to be super stiff because if its too stiff, it can break. question is that is this normal or did the install job went wrong or something? kinda paranoided, lol. ps all the clamps and bolts are tightly connected and not loose. i cant hear the cans shaking or anything while im driving, but when i park my car...i kinda kick the the exhausts softly and see them moving, thats kinda making me thinking that the installation went wrong, lol

Last edited by wj4; December 15th, 2004 at 10:34 PM..
wj4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 15th, 2004, 10:49 PM   #2
wearYELLOW :: liveSTRONG

All exhaust is going to move a little bit. If they weren't tightened so tight that they wouldn't move, every time you WOT on the your car something could break or bend. It's made to give a little bit. I thought my Greddy Evo jiggled a little too much but found out it was normal because all exhaust systems are made to give a little. But unless it moves all over the place uncontrollably when you hit it, you probably did install it fine so I wouldn't worry

Last edited by The Sync; December 15th, 2004 at 10:51 PM..
The Sync is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 15th, 2004, 11:02 PM   #3
wj4

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sync
All exhaust is going to move a little bit. If they weren't tightened so tight that they wouldn't move, every time you WOT on the your car something could break or bend. It's made to give a little bit. I thought my Greddy Evo jiggled a little too much but found out it was normal because all exhaust systems are made to give a little. But unless it moves all over the place uncontrollably when you hit it, you probably did install it fine so I wouldn't worry
lol i didnt install it myself didnt have a lift or anything that i can use to make my car go that high. i had a honda/acura mechanic put it in for me. he did it w/0 even looking at the instructions, lol. he said its his 7th time doing a catback for a 7th gen this month. he describes the last job as some super big cofferr can size exhausts so im thinking it was the evo2
it doesnt shake uncontrollably to the point that its dragging on the floor on the freeway or anything, lol. if u kick it, itll shake for a couple of seconds and stop. he told me that if its too stiff, breaking would occur. makes sense i guess

Old December 15th, 2004, 11:20 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wj4
lol i didnt install it myself didnt have a lift or anything that i can use to make my car go that high. i had a honda/acura mechanic put it in for me. he did it w/0 even looking at the instructions, lol. he said its his 7th time doing a catback for a 7th gen this month. he describes the last job as some super big cofferr can size exhausts so im thinking it was the evo2
it doesnt shake uncontrollably to the point that its dragging on the floor on the freeway or anything, lol. if u kick it, itll shake for a couple of seconds and stop. he told me that if its too stiff, breaking would occur. makes sense i guess

Has to be the Evo since no other exhaust system offers such huge "coffee cans".

When I thought my exhaust moved to much, i started my car up and got down at eye level with the tips and watched it in idle to see if it had any abnormal movement. Then I asked my mother to rev my car so I could see how the exhaust moved under reving conditions. Both ways it had slight movement which I knew was normal so you should be ok. Then my mother asked me if she could drive it. And well, my response was since her stick skills are quite top notch yet.
Old December 16th, 2004, 12:18 AM   #5
wj4

Quote:
Has to be the Evo since no other exhaust system offers such huge "coffee cans".

When I thought my exhaust moved to much, i started my car up and got down at eye level with the tips and watched it in idle to see if it had any abnormal movement. Then I asked my mother to rev my car so I could see how the exhaust moved under reving conditions. Both ways it had slight movement which I knew was normal so you should be ok. Then my mother asked me if she could drive it. And well, my response was since her stick skills are quite top notch yet.
lol my mom loved my car after i installed the intake, she said she didnt have to gas up as hard on the freeway on ramps lol.
i was washing my car yesterday and she came out and ask if thats the new exhaust, i started the car for her and gas up while in park and she loved that as well hahaha. i love the way it sounds, from 2-3k rpm i get this low growl and after that the noise stops from the exhaust and from 4k+, the intake screams. my car is like a sweet orchistra playing
Old December 16th, 2004, 12:45 AM   #6

wj4, are planning on removing the extra-resonator or something that the other members removed because they thought it was too quiet? my borla just arrived in honolulu so i should get it tomorrow.. it's a good way to celebrate the end of finals.
808v6er is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 16th, 2004, 06:18 AM   #7
Your Mom Drives a Honda

Send a message via AIM to smokin6speed
can anyone tell me if that borla exhaust is direct bolt on or if it requires any welding. their site contradicts itself by saying it is direct bolt on and requires no welding, but a few sentences later it says tools needed are basic hand tools and then in parenthesis it says some may require welding. Going to put it on myself and was wondering what I needed to expect.
smokin6speed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 16th, 2004, 08:22 AM   #8
wj4

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokin6speed
can anyone tell me if that borla exhaust is direct bolt on or if it requires any welding. their site contradicts itself by saying it is direct bolt on and requires no welding, but a few sentences later it says tools needed are basic hand tools and then in parenthesis it says some may require welding. Going to put it on myself and was wondering what I needed to expect.
the borla catback system is a direct bolt on system, there is no welding required at all. i think u misread their site. it said that most are bolt ons, but some require welding. its pretty simple, im sure u can do it urself with no problem.

808v6er-i love the way it sounds as is so im not going to remove the resonator or anything. there is a low growl that u can feel from 2-3k rpm and for a second between 3k-4krpm there is silence and after 4k+rpm, the cai screams
just curious, if u were to remove the resonator, how much xtra work would that be?
Old December 16th, 2004, 11:27 AM   #9
get'cha roll on...

Send a message via AIM to v6SicksSpeed
Quote:
Originally Posted by wj4
just curious, if u were to remove the resonator, how much xtra work would that be?
you'd have to have a shop make a custom 2.5''-3'' replacement pipe to fit in where the resonator should be. ive heard mixed things as to whether or not it makes a difference. everybody has a different opinion as to what is "loud". i just said f-it and got the cai instead of playing with the resonator

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
v6SicksSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 16th, 2004, 11:29 AM   #10
get'cha roll on...

Send a message via AIM to v6SicksSpeed
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokin6speed
no welding required... only takes about hour and a half to 2 hours at the most to do it up. you will probably need 2 people b/c some of the sections are pretty big and its important to get things in line straight

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
v6SicksSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 16th, 2004, 11:31 AM   #11

Here's an idea : don't kick your mufflers.

LX V6
sandwiches is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 16th, 2004, 05:32 PM   #12
wj4

Quote:
Originally Posted by v6SicksSpeed
no welding required... only takes about hour and a half to 2 hours at the most to do it up. you will probably need 2 people b/c some of the sections are pretty big and its important to get things in line straight
yes, u need to make sure the long part goes in straight. my mechanic did it by himself but he had this little machine that lifts up and hold the pipe in place.

Quote:
Here's an idea : don't kick your mufflers.
LOL! i dont mean kicking it as in im trying to kick a field goal or a soccer ball. i mean just moving it a little bit with my foot my mechanic first inform me that its going to move a bit over bumps, potholes, etc so that got me curious as to "how much is it going to move". i donno, its like when u get a scab and u know you're not suppose to pick it but u do anyways
Old December 16th, 2004, 06:37 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by wj4
i donno, its like when u get a scab and u know you're not suppose to pick it but u do anyways

Old December 16th, 2004, 08:08 PM   #14

okay, if any of you watch fifth gear (the crappier version of top gear, which isn't particularly good) they tested the new f430. when they showed it launch, that exhaust was jumping up and down like a mofo. i think it's very normal.
deuzezwild is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 17th, 2004, 12:39 AM   #15

the extra work would probably be a hundred bucks.. maybe less. on a side note, i am very pissed off with fedex because they left my borla system at my door. those f*cking idiots.
Old December 17th, 2004, 12:54 AM   #16
wj4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808v6er
the extra work would probably be a hundred bucks.. maybe less. on a side note, i am very pissed off with fedex because they left my borla system at my door. those f*cking idiots.
i paid $50 for my system to get installed by a honda/acura mechanic. lol fedex gave the box to my mom who in turn brought in to my room and it was waiting for me to get home after work
Old December 17th, 2004, 12:52 PM   #17

the box is big, your mom must be strong.
Old December 17th, 2004, 01:32 PM   #18
wj4

Quote:
the box is big, your mom must be strong.
hahaha, my mom is like 5 feet 110 pounds. i think she made the fedex guy moved it in for her or maybe she slid the box across the carpet into my room.
Old December 17th, 2004, 11:16 PM   #19

My Greddy Evo exhaust box was huge. Standing upright it was almost the same height as me.
Old December 18th, 2004, 02:26 AM   #20
wj4

Quote:
My Greddy Evo exhaust box was huge. Standing upright it was almost the same height as me.
this was the pic of my box when i came home to it in my room

ps...does anyone know anything about "spot welding"? my friend followed behind my car as were going to get something to eat and he said that if i dont want the exhausts to shake, i can get spot welding, which is where they weld one of the hangers on each side....the shaking doesnt bother me because im driving the car and i cant see it lol and with the stereo on at level 10 or so, i cant even hear it. i just want to know more info on this spot welding thing since my friend didnt know much either, lol
Old December 21st, 2004, 02:41 AM   #21

on the borla system, the pipe right after the cat (the first one you put on) has a slight bend to it. how do you know which way the bend faces?
Old December 21st, 2004, 03:33 AM   #22
wj4

Quote:
on the borla system, the pipe right after the cat (the first one you put on) has a slight bend to it. how do you know which way the bend faces?
im not sure what u meant by that but heres a pic of hte way it should be installed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in