Intro, and 1/4 Mile Qs - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 27th, 2004, 12:22 AM   #1
VTECin'

Intro, and 1/4 Mile Qs

Howdy y'all from the great state of Texas. Been lurking the forums here for quite some time and figured it was about time I join up and start throwing my two cents around every now and then. I drive a 2003 AV6 6spd, with only an AEM v2 at the moment.

I've read a number of posts about stock 1/4 mile times and am just curious if anyone had any tips for keeping those dang stock tires on the ground. I either spin or bog and can't seem to find a happy medium. Best I managed to muster was a 14.8.

I got smoked by a buddy of mine in a VW because he got a good launch and I just lit the tires like a Christmas tree. Nothing more frustrating than getting beaten by a 4 cylinder.

So anyhoo, all of y'alls help is appreciated, I have to find a way to make the smug SOB eat his words
3.0L of Fury is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 27th, 2004, 07:35 AM   #2

welcome from Texas! What parts are you in?

As for the stock tires, I think the best launch advice you'll get is to replace your stockies with better ones

barring that, I think people have had success at the track launching around 3000 RPM, with proper feathering of the clutch. Good luck, and welcome to the boards!
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 27th, 2004, 10:17 AM   #3
Nothing special

Send a message via AIM to blu6speed
Welcome! Im with you on the stock tires. Best I managed was a 14.5, and that was for all intensive purposes starting in second gear. Ive been practicing since that run and have found that feather the clutch is the best way to not spin uncontrolably. Ill be replacing my stockies after winter, and expect much better results. My roomate has a chipped gti. He started in the mid 15s, and has worked and practiced and now has a 14.3 as his lowest...just goes to show how big an impact practice can be. Im afraid of practicing to much, feathering can really be hard on a clutch. And since we have virtually no aftermarket options, I dont want to kill my stock clutch for a long time.
blu6speed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old December 27th, 2004, 10:51 AM   #4
VTECin'

DM, I'm in El Paso, we'll have to head out to a GTG sometime. You can even bring Penfold

blu6, I'm in the same boat as you. Buddy ran a 14.4 in a chipped GTI. Can't believe how much of a difference that thing made. How in the hell did you get that thing to a 14.5 ? Congrats on that!

I miss my old RX-7, rear wheel drive is so much more consistent at the track.
Old December 27th, 2004, 12:00 PM   #5

lol, well I'm in Houston, so if we both start driving, we should run into each other in a day or two
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 27th, 2004, 04:53 PM   #6
WISCONSIN IS GREAT!

Send a message via AIM to NateCBR Send a message via Yahoo to NateCBR
if your spinning bad like that your launching too high in the r's....
NateCBR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 27th, 2004, 08:00 PM   #7
VTECin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateCBR
if your spinning bad like that your launching too high in the r's....
Yeah, its a combo of launching a little high in the revs and dumping the clutch a little fast.

blu6, I saw in another thread you had a 'Vette, did you have the same problems with that or did the rear wheel drive keep it's butt planted?
Old December 27th, 2004, 10:02 PM   #8
Nothing special

Send a message via AIM to blu6speed
The vette planted its ass and ran, plain and simple. Rear wheel drive is so much better for a launch, as the car pulls forward it squats on its tail. When this happens on a front wheel drive car, the front tires loose all the weight over them which just allows them to spin.

Ha, dont get me wrong the vette could cook the tires to the rims easily. Rev it and dump the clutch and it would spin endlessly. It was a matter of learning the proper feather technique. I also had nice wide potenzas on the vette which helped greatly.

With aftermarket tires, and some launching practice- I have no doubt my accord can throw down some good times!
blu6speed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 2nd, 2005, 09:32 PM   #9

I ran a 14.8 @ 95mph in my first outing with my CL-S6. With some more break-in miles, better launching, I got it down to a 14.5 @ 97.5mph. I found it was better to have a little bit of spin & hop than to bog the engine with not enough rpms. My CL-S hops more than it spins, and the best 60' I got on the stock crappy ass Michelins was 2.306. With dr's I got my 60' slightly better to 2.27, but it didnt spin at all and I pulled a couple 14.2's @ 98.5-99mph.

Just get some stiffer springs/shocks, sticky tires, and lots & lots of practice.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jtkz13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in