Comptech Ice Box - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old December 31st, 2004, 10:09 AM  

Comptech Ice Box

I have the 7th Gen AV6-MT and i was just on comptech's website and it looks like they dont make the ice box for the 7th Gen just the 6th. Also... what is the difference in the Injen RD and the Ice Box, currently i am looking to replace my AEM V1. Looking at the designie i kind of like the look of comptech mainly because it looks like it wont rattle like my V1 does on clutch release...

your responses are greatly appreciated...
Alex

Engine Mods-
-AEM CAI w/Bypass Valve
-Comptech SS

Suspension Mods-
-Comptech 22mm rear Sway Bar
-Eibach Prokit springs (sitting in my closet waiting to find a good set of dampers to go with them)

Body Work-
-Full Razzi Body Kit (custom molded and fused to the bumper)
-hood scoop
-OEM Spoiler
-Custom Painted Projector Headlights w/angel eyes
-painted side mirrors

Radar System-
-K40 Laser Diffuser
-Hardwired Valentine 1 w/concealed display

Audio/Video-
-2 12" Quantom Audio Subwoofers
-JBL 820 watt 2channel amp
southordMPXE is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 31st, 2004, 10:26 AM  
"Always A Sleeper"

Send a message via AIM to Forrealjohnson
Quote:
Originally Posted by southordMPXE
I have the 7th Gen AV6-MT and i was just on comptech's website and it looks like they dont make the ice box for the 7th Gen just the 6th. Also... what is the difference in the Injen RD and the Ice Box, currently i am looking to replace my AEM V1. Looking at the designie i kind of like the look of comptech mainly because it looks like it wont rattle like my V1 does on clutch release...

your responses are greatly appreciated...
Alex

Be careful what you replace it with. I had the V1, switched to the V2 and lost 8whp. I am going next week to dyno with the V2. Then immediately switch to the V1 and dyno to really see which one makes power. I thought about the INJEN CAI, but it looks to be almost Identical to the AEM V1. I will keep you posted on the results. Check my thread "Somebody Help?? Odd before and after Dyno" on the dyno section. Later. Also, you dont need the Bypass valve on the V1. It robs your power and is next to impossible to suck water up.
HFP Suspension
04 TL Rear Sway Bar
OEM Body Kit
35% Tint
Forrealjohnson is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old December 31st, 2004, 01:06 PM  
Got VTEC?...

Comptech is going to release an icebox intake for the 7th gen accords sometime between febuary or march. It will be around the same time that they release the supercharger for the accord as well.
ComptechAccord4 is offline   Quick reply to this message

Old December 31st, 2004, 01:20 PM  
Biohazard Level 4

^ He's a spy for Comptech...a Comptech lurker, if you will.
Scubaman3D is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old January 1st, 2005, 12:20 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubaman3D
^ He's a spy for Comptech...a Comptech lurker, if you will.

bigcsorren is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old January 2nd, 2005, 12:05 AM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComptechAccord4
Comptech is going to release an icebox intake for the 7th gen accords sometime between febuary or march. It will be around the same time that they release the supercharger for the accord as well.
I already bought the Comptech S/C last September when the said it would be out....oh wait, it didn't come out then or any of the other times they said.

October 2004 - June 2005
cammyfive is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old January 2nd, 2005, 02:28 AM  
Got VTEC?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cammyfive
I already bought the Comptech S/C last September when the said it would be out....oh wait, it didn't come out then or any of the other times they said.

Yea, yea, I know Comptech is quite notorious for being late with their products release, but anything from them is well worth the wait.
Old January 3rd, 2005, 02:10 PM  

so when/if it comes out, what is this "icebox" thing, and how is it different from a standard CAI (if at all)?
DangerMouse is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old January 3rd, 2005, 04:34 PM  
ex scientia vera

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse
so when/if it comes out, what is this "icebox" thing, and how is it different from a standard CAI (if at all)?
kramer2k is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old January 3rd, 2005, 04:53 PM  

With a regular CAI, you've got a tube with a filter on the end. With the icebox you have the filter where it normally is stock, in an almost-stock airbox and a tube coming out of the airbox to the ground. If you're still lost check out the install instructions.

http://www.comptechusa.com/instructions/ins128.pdf

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

LX V6
sandwiches is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old January 3rd, 2005, 07:43 PM  
get'cha roll on...

Send a message via AIM to v6SicksSpeed
whats the price of this icebox when it comes out?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
v6SicksSpeed is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old January 3rd, 2005, 07:46 PM  
_

Mucho more than likely, Comptech is pricey, especially with this product, like V2 expensive or more I would guestimate.
0430Steve is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old January 3rd, 2005, 08:01 PM  
get'cha roll on...

its $180 for the TSX so probably like at least $200 (plus you have to buy the filter separately) for the accord one, but i dont really see where the gains come in. to me it looks like the stock airbox with a high flow filter. are there any real proven gains?

Old January 3rd, 2005, 08:10 PM  
_

Slightly different OEM box design type deal going on, better flow filter and drawing cold air. It will see gains, nothing over a CAI or V2, and just as much money if not more. Just for those who don't want to even think about getting water in their engine (even though everyone says it's almost impossible).
Old January 3rd, 2005, 09:54 PM  
Got VTEC?...

[QUOTE=v6SicksSpeed]its $180 for the TSX so probably like at least $200 (plus you have to buy the filter separately) [QUOTE]

Not true. The Comptech icebox is a kit that includes the filter and intake tube along with the airbox. Since the cost of the 6th gen icebox is $279, I would assume that Comptech's price for the 7th gen will be no different.
Old January 4th, 2005, 10:29 AM  

/\/\/\/\/\ yeah no ****!
southordMPXE is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old January 4th, 2005, 12:56 PM  
Got VTEC?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fast4u99
Of course you know this because your the insider at Comptech

When is my JPIPE coming out
Never once did I say I know this. I am ASSUMING it, big difference there.

As far as a j-pipe, I have no clue if Comptech is making one.
Old January 4th, 2005, 06:03 PM  
get'cha roll on...

[QUOTE=ComptechAccord4][QUOTE=v6SicksSpeed]its $180 for the TSX so probably like at least $200 (plus you have to buy the filter separately)
Quote:

Not true. The Comptech icebox is a kit that includes the filter and intake tube along with the airbox. Since the cost of the 6th gen icebox is $279, I would assume that Comptech's price for the 7th gen will be no different.
i went to the comptech website and it said the kits was $169 and the filter was $11. in the directions explaining how to install it, it showed which parts came with, but didnt mention the filter. im just going off what the comptech website said, but you obviously know better

Old January 5th, 2005, 12:56 AM  
Got VTEC?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by v6SicksSpeed
i went to the comptech website and it said the kits was $169 and the filter was $11. in the directions explaining how to install it, it showed which parts came with, but didnt mention the filter. im just going off what the comptech website said, but you obviously know better
Maybe you should click on the hyperlink for the cold air intake, which clearly states as follows:

IceBox Cold Air Intake
High volume lid with internal velocity stack
increases airflow to engine. Lower airhorn draws
cooler air from behind the bumper and eliminates
restriction of standard inlet.
Includes High flow reusable foam filter element.
All necessary hardware included in kit.
Fits: 2004 Acura TSX

But at least you got the prices right...
Old January 5th, 2005, 12:00 PM  
get'cha roll on...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComptechAccord4
Maybe you should click on the hyperlink for the cold air intake, which clearly states as follows:

IceBox Cold Air Intake
High volume lid with internal velocity stack
increases airflow to engine. Lower airhorn draws
cooler air from behind the bumper and eliminates
restriction of standard inlet.
Includes High flow reusable foam filter element.
All necessary hardware included in kit.
Fits: 2004 Acura TSX

But at least you got the prices right...
damn bro, you need to go home, smoke a j-bird and re-lax... either way, you gotta admit $300+ is a bit pricey for a CAI, $11 the filter or not

Last edited by v6SicksSpeed; January 5th, 2005 at 12:04 PM..
Old January 5th, 2005, 01:46 PM  
_

Quote:
damn bro, you need to go home, smoke a j-bird and re-lax... either way, you gotta admit $300+ is a bit pricey for a CAI, $11 the filter or not
I'm taking that advice right now....and I already knew these things were too expensive.

If you need to get this thing then get it, if you really think about it then you won't.
Old January 5th, 2005, 09:32 PM  
get'cha roll on...

i already have a CAI that im totally happy with, never thought twice about picking up the comptech one. just was a bit curious what the difference was with an "ice box"

Old January 6th, 2005, 02:12 AM  
Got VTEC?...

Quote:
i already have a CAI that im totally happy with, never thought twice about picking up the comptech one. just was a bit curious what the difference was with an "ice box"
Do you have a short ram or a long tube intake?
Old January 6th, 2005, 12:30 PM  
get'cha roll on...

i have the powdercoated black injen rd cai (long tube). im 100% satisfied with it and would recommend it to anyone, even you. the sound, low end torque, performance, price, etc is all amazing... picked it up for about $180 after tax and shipping from www.hopupracing.com and installed it myself in a little over an hour

Old January 6th, 2005, 02:00 PM  
14.58 =Quickest Gen7 auto

Quote:
i have the powdercoated black injen rd cai (long tube). im 100% satisfied with it and would recommend it to anyone, even you. the sound, low end torque, performance, price, etc is all amazing
I 100% agree.
03LXV6Guy is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old January 7th, 2005, 03:24 PM  
Got VTEC?...

Quote:
i have the powdercoated black injen rd cai (long tube). im 100% satisfied with it and would recommend it to anyone, even you. the sound, low end torque, performance, price, etc is all amazing... picked it up for about $180 after tax and shipping from www.hopupracing.com and installed it myself in a little over an hour
Those are cool intakes. However, I worry so much about the rainy season that an icebox to me is very important and is much safer. I don't have to worry about hydrolocking at all since the filter is completely surrounded by an airbox with a long intake tube.

Yes, I know that Comptech will cost more than the average CAI, but spending that extra $100 could save me thousands in potential engine repair.
Old January 8th, 2005, 11:38 AM  

why does that make you not have to worry about it? where does the tube end?
deuzezwild is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old January 8th, 2005, 12:22 PM  
Got VTEC?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuzezwild
why does that make you not have to worry about it? where does the tube end?
The air intake sits on top of the engine, just like a short ram. However, it is encased in a plastic "icebox" with an intake tube that travels to the bottem of your front bumper, where it is sucking in real cold air. Because of the intakes location, sucking up water is never an issue. With the other long tube intakes, they travel as far down into the engine bay as Comptechs icebox intake tube, but are left completely exposed to rain, puddles, etc, which could be extremely hazardious.

I will agree, Comptechs icebox probably won't produce as much hp or torque as Ingen or AEM, since it still is, in a sense, a short ram intake. But make no bones about it that it will be safer than the rest.
Old January 8th, 2005, 03:31 PM  
get'cha roll on...

there has been a lot of talk about hydrolocking and all that jazz on the forum. im not trying to say one is safer than to other or that it cant happen, but ive never met anyone who .has had that happen. it seems you would need to drive your car into a pool or in a huge puddle for that to happen. xmas eve i drove home 2 hours on the highway in some of the worst rain ive ever been in with my cai. plus i dont have grills or anything (6spds have a dif grill) on my lower vents, so my cai is probably more exposed that most peoples cai. still no problems. i also took it thru a car wash last week to get the road salt off of it, and no probs. i guess it just doesnt worry me

Old January 8th, 2005, 11:54 PM  
I AM LOST....

Send a message via AIM to brex
for the last time....

hydrolocking requires the CAI filter completly submerged into water (i believe it needs to be for at least few sec but not sure). by having it completely submerged, you created a near vocum situation, and water is instead being sucked into thus hydrolocking. Even if there are just small portion of CAI filter not covered by water, you will be fine.
brex is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in