vtec controller - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 1st, 2005, 05:05 PM   #1
pch
1quick240

Send a message via MSN to pch Send a message via Yahoo to pch
vtec controller

i was wondering if a vtec controller would benefit our cars? my friends told me i should buy the v-afc, but i am not to familiar with this. i know that the vtec controller would lower your vtec, but what are the benefits of that? sorry about the questions, i am more familiar with nissan then honda because i use to own a couple of nissans. This is my first honda. i know that the afc would be good because of the burning more gas when you lower your vtec. what do you guys think?
pch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 1st, 2005, 11:54 PM   #2
wj4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pch
i was wondering if a vtec controller would benefit our cars? my friends told me i should buy the v-afc, but i am not to familiar with this. i know that the vtec controller would lower your vtec, but what are the benefits of that? sorry about the questions, i am more familiar with nissan then honda because i use to own a couple of nissans. This is my first honda. i know that the afc would be good because of the burning more gas when you lower your vtec. what do you guys think?
i was also considering about the v afc2 but i have an automatic, not sure if its going to be make that much of a diff for me and i heard install is quite a pain in the butt
wj4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 2nd, 2005, 09:52 AM   #3
I AM LOST....

Send a message via AIM to brex
i got about 5whp gain overall using vafc2.. i was lucky having frog harness so pnp..
brex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old January 2nd, 2005, 01:13 PM   #4
J32A2 + SC + Meth AV6

Send a message via ICQ to BlackV62K2 Send a message via AIM to BlackV62K2 Send a message via MSN to BlackV62K2
With the Frog PnP harness, installation takes like 5 mins. You won't see alot of gains on a stock car but with a car that has full bolt-ons, you'll see some nice gains across the powerband. I gained like 7-11whp across the powerband when I tuned my V-AFC.
BlackV62K2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 3rd, 2005, 11:17 AM   #5
wearYELLOW :: liveSTRONG

Where can you purchase the Frog PnP harness?
The Sync is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 3rd, 2005, 11:34 AM   #6

http://www.frogenginecontrols.com/index.html
HONDA_99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 3rd, 2005, 08:25 PM   #7

so i was reading about this whole V-afcII deal and it seams like
it will do exactly what i want it to but...

How do you know what are good settings for each of the things that it is capable of doing, i dont know anything about tinkering... how do i figure out the best settings for optomized performance with every day driving?

Also is it actually capable of lowering the RPM that V-TEC kicks in at?

If you can lower where V-TEC kicks in how low can you go?

I mean can you make the car actually gain low end power by setting V-TEC to kick in earlier?

If you guys can convince me that this thing is worth the $300 ill be sure to put it in my car...

And that brings me to my last question...

How exactly do you install this thing? I see that its kinda of like a head unit but it is wired directly to the ECU or what?? what will the dealership say when i put this on my car...
southordMPXE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 3rd, 2005, 08:46 PM   #8
J32A2 + SC + Meth AV6

Send a message via ICQ to BlackV62K2 Send a message via AIM to BlackV62K2 Send a message via MSN to BlackV62K2
. I suggest you not to just go about tuning the V-AFC yourself. I strongly suggest you go and dyno tune it after you've installed it. At least wideband street tuning if you can't afford dyno time. You need something to pull the data to see what gains you're getting.

For installs, you can go about it in 2 ways. Plug and Play harness or splice up your OEM wires and install it directly. I personally have a PnP harness because I like the fact that I can keep my OEM wires in tack plus install/remove the harness and V-AFC in a matter of minutes. Installation with a PnP harness is dead simple and takes like 5 mins. If you go the wiring splicing route, take it to a professional to get it done. I'm not sure how hard it is to remove the V-AFC after the wires spliced (if you plan on removing it in the future).

And lowering your V-TEC crossover point doesn't gain you more power . Put it on the dyno, with the data from the runs, your tuner can suggest an optimal V-TEC crossover point for your car depending on the mods you have on your car.

I'm not sure what the dealership will say with a V-AFC in your car. I take mine off whenever I need work done @ my Honda dealership. Another plus about the PnP harness .
Old January 4th, 2005, 04:41 PM   #9

The page where it says the vehicles for the PnP harness says it is for the Accord as well, but it says its for the J30A1 so would that matter since we have a J30A4? Also, what exact model number would I need for the VAFC-2 harness?

Last edited by The Sync; January 4th, 2005 at 04:46 PM..
Old January 4th, 2005, 04:46 PM   #10
J32A2 + SC + Meth AV6

If you goto the Frog harness website, there's an V-AFC 2 application for the J30A1. But seeing how you have a J30A4, you might need a custom harness made. Should be very similar though, email the guys @ Frog Harness and they should be able to hook you up with everything you need to get your V-AFC 2 PnP-able.
Old January 4th, 2005, 04:51 PM   #11

Hey 2fast4u99, since you have the same car as me, or at least the same motor as me, how or what did you use for the PnP on the VAFC-2 since there isn't one on the frog engine control web site?
Old January 4th, 2005, 05:54 PM   #12

Anyone know what place ^^ he ordered it from because i'm interested in getting one.
Old January 5th, 2005, 12:38 AM   #13
wj4

can anyone take pix of their set up? when u use the PnP, does the wires look clutter or anything? and the unit can be placed anywhere in the car right? the center console is great for that

and also whre do u guys get the c afc2 unit itself from? i see theyre like mid $200s and up

Last edited by wj4; January 5th, 2005 at 12:48 AM..
Old January 5th, 2005, 01:01 AM   #14
I AM LOST....

Wes.. check my car next time u see me..
Old January 5th, 2005, 01:09 AM   #15
wj4

Quote:
Originally Posted by brex
Wes.. check my car next time u see me..
dammit brex, its wis! lol. like the WIZard of OZ (pronounce teh same way too ). the last time i got in ur racing seat, i saw a bunch of wires and did not know what was going on. i felt like i was in paul walkers car in fast and furious lol jk. ill prolly get this mod after all all my suspension/rims fall in place in a week, and after i get a grounding kit and pullies when it comes out.
Old January 6th, 2005, 04:56 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackV62K2
. I suggest you not to just go about tuning the V-AFC yourself. I strongly suggest you go and dyno tune it after you've installed it. At least wideband street tuning if you can't afford dyno time. You need something to pull the data to see what gains you're getting.

For installs, you can go about it in 2 ways. Plug and Play harness or splice up your OEM wires and install it directly. I personally have a PnP harness because I like the fact that I can keep my OEM wires in tack plus install/remove the harness and V-AFC in a matter of minutes. Installation with a PnP harness is dead simple and takes like 5 mins. If you go the wiring splicing route, take it to a professional to get it done. I'm not sure how hard it is to remove the V-AFC after the wires spliced (if you plan on removing it in the future).

And lowering your V-TEC crossover point doesn't gain you more power . Put it on the dyno, with the data from the runs, your tuner can suggest an optimal V-TEC crossover point for your car depending on the mods you have on your car.

I'm not sure what the dealership will say with a V-AFC in your car. I take mine off whenever I need work done @ my Honda dealership. Another plus about the PnP harness .

How much did you pay total for the VAFC, PnP harness, install and tuning?
Old January 6th, 2005, 05:00 PM   #17
J32A2 + SC + Meth AV6

V-AFC - $290
Frog Harness - $125
Install - Free (because of the PnP harness)
Dyno Tuning - $80

Around $500 for everything.
Old January 6th, 2005, 05:27 PM   #18

Ya, mine would be a little more. VAFC would be a little cheaper but my PnP harness, since it would be custom, from frog engine controls it would cost $189 and dyno per hour costs $150. Little steep if you ask me. But oh well.
Old January 6th, 2005, 06:50 PM   #19
I AM LOST....

actually.. 5hp gain with VAFC2 (with close to $500 spent thanks to good deal by 2fast4u99, otherwise it would be closer to $700) that I got with my mods is quite disappointing.. which I think is why 2fast4u99 get rid of his.. tho I got it for different reason...
Old January 6th, 2005, 06:55 PM   #20
Banished from Selling

Send a message via AIM to toocoolcord19
I know you guys are probly looking to know about the 7th gen, but the gains I saw on my 6th gen were amazing. With VTEC set at 4200, on my auto the kick is so good i light my tires in first. I have new tires and a lowered car so its not an easy car to spin anyways. The benefits definately work best with other mods.
toocoolcord19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 6th, 2005, 06:57 PM   #21
Banished from Selling

One more thing, the install is very easy on 6th gens, if anyone is looking to get one in the Chicago area, write me because I installed my own with no harness in a few hours.
Old January 6th, 2005, 06:59 PM   #22
I AM LOST....

Quote:
Originally Posted by toocoolcord19
I know you guys are probly looking to know about the 7th gen, but the gains I saw on my 6th gen were amazing. With VTEC set at 4200, on my auto the kick is so good i light my tires in first. I have new tires and a lowered car so its not an easy car to spin anyways. The benefits definately work best with other mods.
to be honest.. for almost $700.. get Unichip..
Old January 6th, 2005, 07:07 PM   #23
Banished from Selling

I heard the Unichip is good, but for 250 bucks you can't beat the VAFC2 for what it did on my car. Also I tuned it myself so I didn't pay for anything 'cept the VAFC.
Old January 6th, 2005, 07:08 PM   #24

Quote:
to be honest.. for almost $700.. get Unichip..

Thats almost what the VAFC-2 plus PnP harness, and tune would run for me at least. Ya, I mean for that much I would love to purchase the Unichip instead but even if I put my money down for the Unichip, its not going to make a difference since we are short like 20 people to even get R&D done. So I would just get my money returned in the end.
Old January 6th, 2005, 07:23 PM   #25
I AM LOST....

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sync
Thats almost what the VAFC-2 plus PnP harness, and tune would run for me at least. Ya, I mean for that much I would love to purchase the Unichip instead but even if I put my money down for the Unichip, its not going to make a difference since we are short like 20 people to even get R&D done. So I would just get my money returned in the end.
i was referring to the 6gen people..
Old January 6th, 2005, 07:26 PM   #26
I AM LOST....

Quote:
Originally Posted by toocoolcord19
I heard the Unichip is good, but for 250 bucks you can't beat the VAFC2 for what it did on my car. Also I tuned it myself so I didn't pay for anything 'cept the VAFC.
perhaps for $250 nothing can beat that... but please take a look at the unichip dynos and tell me you can match it with vafc2
Old January 6th, 2005, 07:45 PM   #27
Banished from Selling

Hey those are pretty good dyno results. let me get some cl-s cams installed and then dyno it to see what mine ran. then ill let ya know how i compared.
Old January 6th, 2005, 08:21 PM   #28

Quote:
i was referring to the 6gen people..

Oh.....
Old January 6th, 2005, 11:57 PM   #29

Send a message via ICQ to ib_604 Send a message via MSN to ib_604
juss wondering, can't u run the VAFCII with the unichip?
ib_604 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 7th, 2005, 12:42 AM   #30
I AM LOST....

theoratically.. yes, if u only hook up the in line, but no return line.. then u r using vafc just for display.. which is what i am gonna do..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in