Short shifter wears down the clutch? - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old January 10th, 2005, 11:57 AM  

Short shifter wears down the clutch?

I feel like my clutch's friction point has gone higher and it feels like its starting to slip, I only have 13k miles on my car. Could the short shifter put wear on the clutch? I'm asking because I'm about to take my car into the dealer and I dont want them to say its because of the short shifter.
lazybum is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 10th, 2005, 12:21 PM  

I don't think so, because the short shifter attaches to the transmission gears via the shift linkage, and the clutch attaches to the clutch pedal and to your foot.

The only way I think they two could be related is if you're having more fun shifting now so you do clutch dumps and burnouts! Atleast that's what I do
DangerMouse is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old January 10th, 2005, 04:33 PM  
Got VTEC?...

The short shifter has absolutly nothing to do with your clutch. All it does is change the fulcrom point, resulting in shorter shifts. So about your clutch slipping, its not the short shifter, maybe its your driving
ComptechAccord4 is offline   Quick reply to this message

Old January 11th, 2005, 08:20 AM  

I think there are a few other members here with clutch problems, so there could be a problem with the stock clutches. Don't know if there's a TSB or anything, maybe someone else has some info?
DangerMouse is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old January 11th, 2005, 09:49 AM  
U a Ryder Or a Hater?

Send a message via AIM to 04rydah
nope no problems ... i got around 17k now
04rydah is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old January 11th, 2005, 12:31 PM  
get'cha roll on...

Send a message via AIM to v6SicksSpeed
no probs here either for an 03 with 12k miles. sometimes have a tough time getting it into 1st when its cold but its kinda normal. i really want the short shifter too, worth it? for $40 im inclined to say yes

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
v6SicksSpeed is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old January 16th, 2005, 11:43 PM  

Send a message via AIM to imfillinit
uhh...that is COMPLETELY WRONG! ...short shifters never wear down the Clutch faster. Ways you CAN wear down a clutch faster are by :

1. shi**y driving
2. burnouts and burning the clutch
3. too much power ie. too much torque. My stock clutch on my a4 should be going soon due to the 275 or so lbs of torque it has.

but it should not go from a short shifter. all that does is shorten the throw, has nothing to do with the physical shifting of the clutch and having the tranny engage into its gears. IMO SS's do feel a bit more knotchy once in, but a little break in and wd-40 can always fix that.
imfillinit is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old January 16th, 2005, 11:44 PM  

Send a message via AIM to imfillinit
oh yea and fi your dealer tries to pull some crap on you about having a SS instaleld is why your clutch is messing up, he is full of it. i would punk that guy.
imfillinit is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in