NEWB: Wanting to upgrade 04 V6 accord - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 24th, 2005, 10:49 AM   #1

NEWB: Wanting to upgrade 04 V6 accord

Hi guys, I've been a browser for a few months now as I've recently purchased an '04 EX V6 5AT. Now, I want to do things to it! ::biggrin:

Unfortunately I am new to Honda's and was wondering if you guys can help a brotha out.

Right now, I'm looking to spend less than $1k for performance upgrades, and after reading/searching, I think an i/h/e combo is the best for starters?

So the question is: which brand is the best bang for the buck for those parts? I've been hearing things about AEM (v2) and Injen... is CAI really that big a difference for the price? Can anyone point to who can offer me the best prices as well?

Any and ALL info would be AWESOME! Thanks!

djxlee
djxlee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 24th, 2005, 10:57 AM   #2

an injen rd CAI can be bought for < 200 (try nopi.com) and its gives maybe 5 hp tops, but oh my **** the sound is fricking AMAZING. do it!
we can't do headers because our exhaust manifold is part of the block.
exhaust, i'd personally recommend borla. my friend has one, and i was just about to buy one before the rents vetoed it. sounds awesome w/out being ricey (cough greddy evo dos)
deuzezwild is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 24th, 2005, 10:59 AM   #3
ex scientia vera

First off, welcome!

Try searching first of all. You'll find a ton of threads about the intake. I have an Injen, but from what I gather, the AEM V2 is no different. Just a personal preference if you ask me.

Next, on the i/h/e....you can strike off the 'h' because that's not possible on 7th Gen V6's.

For exhaust, search once again. You'll find that there are only a few brands from which you can choose. Borla, Magnaflow, Greddy, Tanabe pretty much cover your options regarding exhaust. OMG, I forgot about the over-priced Comptech exhuast too (<---editorial comment). Once again, pretty much the same thing except different looking mufflers and a different sound for each. Search and you'll find a ton of info and pictures.

Once again, congrats on your new purchase and welcome to the Automatic Transmission family We are far and few between.
kramer2k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old January 24th, 2005, 11:04 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramer2k
Once again, congrats on your new purchase and welcome to the Automatic Transmission family We are far and few between.
we gotta stick together lest we get sad and jealous at the 6-speeders.
Old January 24th, 2005, 11:22 AM   #5
fonda my honda

Send a message via AIM to tx03coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by deuzezwild
we gotta stick together lest we get sad and jealous at the 6-speeders.
...too late
tx03coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 24th, 2005, 11:48 AM   #6
ex scientia vera

Quote:
Originally Posted by tx03coupe
...too late
I have my ups and downs. Sometimes I get jealous, sometimes I thank God I've got my AT. Now Navigation....that's a different story. Nav-envy is an everlasting sickness.
Old January 24th, 2005, 12:15 PM   #7

Thanks for the info so far guys! Glad to be part of the AT family.

Ok, so no headers. haha guess i dind't do A LOT of research...

Ok, so I was thinking about doing "stages"... for instance upgrade stuff under the hood on the first stage, then do a drop/exhaust next stage? What do you guys think?

Ok for intake... I guess its down to AEM or Injen? I'm okay with whateveer I can get for cheaper... anyone knows stores? Oh, and its better if I get CAI right?

Also, my roommate who is going to install it mentioned something about protection from water... like if it rains. What is this and is it necessary?

I'll have seperate posts for the exhaust, springs, etc... hehe I'll keep this thread just for exhaust. Thanks for the info guys & please keep it coming.

I'm looking to buy asap.
Old January 24th, 2005, 12:34 PM   #8
ex scientia vera

Quote:
Originally Posted by djxlee
Thanks for the info so far guys! Glad to be part of the AT family.

Ok, so no headers. haha guess i dind't do A LOT of research...

Ok, so I was thinking about doing "stages"... for instance upgrade stuff under the hood on the first stage, then do a drop/exhaust next stage? What do you guys think?

Ok for intake... I guess its down to AEM or Injen? I'm okay with whateveer I can get for cheaper... anyone knows stores? Oh, and its better if I get CAI right?

Also, my roommate who is going to install it mentioned something about protection from water... like if it rains. What is this and is it necessary?

I'll have seperate posts for the exhaust, springs, etc... hehe I'll keep this thread just for exhaust. Thanks for the info guys & please keep it coming.

I'm looking to buy asap.
Definitely get a CAI. Please don't worry about the problem with the water and the Cold Air Intake (Called hydrolocking). You WILL be safe. Search around at the various CAI threads and you will find lots of online stores to order it from. You're going to absolutely love that sound when you hit WOT.
Old January 24th, 2005, 12:36 PM   #9

basically, you can drive through ANY amount of rain (i drove through santa barbara the other weekend when they got like three inches of water in a day). just dont drive through a huge puddle up to your bumper. the only way it will hydrolock is if your filter is fully submerged. you'd have to be pretty dumb to do that.
Old January 24th, 2005, 01:42 PM   #10
14.58 =Quickest Gen7 auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuzezwild
an injen rd CAI ............ and its gives maybe 5 hp tops,
I'd be willing to bet that my Injen CAI definately gave me more than 5 hp tops.

And, I think you'd be able to find others here that would agree their Injen CAI also gave them a noticable gain in power (from a seat-of-the-pants dyno type of thing).

Case in point - I really don't believe my car was only 5 hp away from 14.5's when it still had the stock intake on. But that's just me.
03LXV6Guy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 24th, 2005, 02:16 PM   #11

Ok, so no bypass valve... that's nice to hear. so injen vs aem. i'm sure this has been discussed before. I'll go out looking for one of these two... thanks! Is install any easier with the other? And I can keep these on while I get smog test right? They are emissions legal?
Old January 24th, 2005, 02:36 PM   #12
ex scientia vera

Quote:
Ok, so no bypass valve... that's nice to hear. so injen vs aem. i'm sure this has been discussed before. I'll go out looking for one of these two... thanks! Is install any easier with the other? And I can keep these on while I get smog test right? They are emissions legal?
Install is EXACTLY the same with either one.

They are legal for smog test...or whatever it's called.

They ARE emissions legal.
Old January 24th, 2005, 02:52 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramer2k
Install is EXACTLY the same with either one.

They are legal for smog test...or whatever it's called.

They ARE emissions legal.
word. hardest part is taking the big fugly black plastic oem intake out.
Old January 24th, 2005, 04:31 PM   #14
Got VTEC?...

Quote:

Just this week, I installed the AEM V2 Intake, and I was amazed with the hp and tq gains as well as the SWEEEET noise the engine makes when it hits VTEC! I would highly recommend this intake to ANYONE! It's one of the best mods I have done in a long while.
ComptechAccord4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 24th, 2005, 05:25 PM   #15

Can anyone point me to some stores that sell either the AEM V2 or the Injen for a nice price?
Old January 24th, 2005, 06:23 PM   #16
^ lives for this stuff

Send a message via AIM to NDeedOne
I got my Injen RD series in today, and can't wait to install. They have a Dyno sheet that comes in the instruciotns. It shows that the factory peak HP was 193.8 & torque was 169.0 compared to after CAI HP - 208.2 & torque - 180.2. That's a 14.4 HP gain and a 11.2 foot pounds of torque. not bat!

The stock was dyno tested at 11:11 am
The CAI was dyno tested at 6:01 pm

I'm on fire..... Can't wait.... so Stoked!

I got mine on Ebay $140 including S&H

EDIT: Check out this forum link: it may help

http://www.v6performance.net/forums/...ad.php?t=46339

Last edited by NDeedOne; January 25th, 2005 at 11:28 AM..
NDeedOne is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in