K&N drop in VS Short Ram Intake - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 4th, 2005, 09:19 PM   #1

K&N drop in VS Short Ram Intake

Quick Question:

My stock filter is dirty as hell, debating if i should replace it back with OEM, K&N, or Short Ram. No CAI for me, cause here in Vancouver Canada, it rains too much and there are too many huge puddles.

What is the performance GAP between the K&N vs Short Ram? It's like a $150 price difference roughly, so is it worth upgrading? If i'm look'n @ unnoticable gains, than i'm not gonna bother. I don't race or dyno, but it would be nice to have if the price for the gains is there. Also is there a big difference in SOUND from the KN and the SRI?
$ilverbullet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 4th, 2005, 09:32 PM   #2
03 silver v6 6mt

Send a message via MSN to miloaccord Send a message via Yahoo to miloaccord
Take out the resonator and install a drop in. I bought a CAI and I had a Drop in filter by K&N before that. After installing the CAI, I did not notice a difference between the CAI and the Drop in I had withouth the resonator. besides, with a drop in, the intake stays in the plastic box which sucks in cooler air than with a short ram, which will be sitting in the engine compartment sucking up hot air.
miloaccord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 4th, 2005, 11:07 PM   #3
indoctidiscant

Send a message via AIM to OwAce
www.bobistheoilguy.com ran some tests and determined that the drop in k&n filter does absolutely nothing to improve your performance. if anything it filters less and can be more detrimental to your engine that the stock air filter.

also goto www.vtec.net and search for a thread on air filters. they discussed it over there.

stay with stock air filter, your engine will reward you for it over time.
OwAce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old February 5th, 2005, 02:47 AM   #4

thx for the info! drop in KN not worth it ehh? if that's the case, hmmmm, maybe i'll have to get a stock filter for now, and debate about the CAI.
Old February 6th, 2005, 03:43 AM   #5

Don't have to worry about having a CAI in Vancouver. I had it on my last gen accord for like 3 years and had no problem at all. I drove my car wtih CAI all the way from Vancouver to Banff during winter, and I had BW1 bodykit on it so there was a big hole where you could see the CAI too.
HiKaRuAV6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 6th, 2005, 04:17 AM   #6

did your filter get very dirty fast from van weather? it's brutal here w/the rain/salt on the roads these days. Does the filter get moist/dirty?

I'm leaning now towards a CAI, but does anyone know where i can find a nice cheap one? Injen seems cheaper, i read earlier that nopionline was offering it for around 150 but i can't seem to find that kind of price on their site, anyone have a direct link or product # possibly? is that sale still on? if i can grab a CAI @ 150 USD roughly, i'm gonna snatch it up.
Old February 7th, 2005, 10:43 PM   #7

It got dirty of course but it was very easy to take it out and wash it. I washed it before and after each winter. I would say there isn't much to worry about CAI sounds very cool when you suddently floor your car and will always get people't attention because it does sound like a turbo somtimes
Old February 7th, 2005, 11:10 PM   #8
The Poker KING

Send a message via AIM to LIL TANE
if you live in Vancouver I wouldn't go with a CAI

I mean, is it really worth it? who cares, I'm in sunny california, so I can afford to have a AEM v2, and when does rain here (it rains hard and we have horrible drainage) i'm scared for my life driving in those conditions.

feel comfortable and just get a Short Ram. You'll be happy you did later.
LIL TANE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 8th, 2005, 12:00 AM   #9

I just ordered a K&N Drop In from AJUSA.com, $35 shipped. Reusability makes it a good deal. Any performance on the air intake end is negligible in my opinion-- it's all cosmetic (SOUNDS TIGHT, DOOH!). So, I go with the better value.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

LX V6
sandwiches is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 8th, 2005, 02:30 AM   #10

without an exhaust, is it pointless to go CAI? are the performance gains for just a CAI worth it? i know it's not a lot, but what are we look'n at?
Old February 8th, 2005, 05:59 AM   #11

Send a message via Yahoo to TorontoV6
I drive in Ontario, Toronto to be exact. I ordered a AEM V2 from EuroJapanParts for $215 plus shipping, duty and taxes. I was also worried about water getting in, (Hydro-lock) but unless you are going to drive through a puddle that is more then a foot deep, you will be fine. I measured from the road to the filter on my friends AV6 and there is alomst a foot clearance. If you are still worried about hydrolock you can by a bypass filter from AEM. I have read on here that it may loss a bit of performance but if you need the peace of mind then it could be worth it. Air induction is not an easy game to play, just get in and start playing.
TorontoV6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 8th, 2005, 01:48 PM   #12

K&N CAI can fairly easily be turned into SR. I dont know how the rest are but the K&N is enclosed inside wheel well so it really shouldnt get that dirty. K&N been making filter since the dawn of time if there where any problems I think it would have been out by now. I got mine on ebay I think I paid something like $100.00 for it.
THERUIZFAMILY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 8th, 2005, 04:14 PM   #13

Seriously just go for whatever setup you like. If you worry about water and rain so much then just get a short ram or K&N, otherwise whenever it rains here you will worry so much while you are driving

I had no problem with that for the past 3 years and I drove almost everyday no matter raining or snowing days. My car was also lowered about 2 inches I really think CAI is just a cool feature and it all depends if you like it or not

Last edited by HiKaRuAV6; February 8th, 2005 at 04:19 PM..
Old February 8th, 2005, 05:44 PM   #14

CAI sounds good, since so many peeps have used it in the rain, now it's a matter of finding a good deal somewhere.
Old February 9th, 2005, 06:01 AM   #15

Send a message via Yahoo to TorontoV6
Speaking as a fellow Canadian I know the frustration seeing all these low prices in the US and fighting our lagging Canadian dollar. I research this one to death and found a company on ebay that was selling them for $215 I dare anyone to find a AEM V2 cheaper. I think that the AEM V2's beefy looks, the great sound resonance and the dyno proof that AEM provides on their website (they claim 18hp) is more then enough reason to go with them. Match this intake up with the Borla exhaust and God Bless! I forget the guys name on here but he has the V2 and an Inspire valve cover on his silver AV6, MAN that looks sweet.
TorontoV6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in