Duals on i4 - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 9th, 2005, 07:10 PM   #1
JDM FTW!!!11one!

Post Duals on i4

i was going to post this in the 4 banger section, but this will get more views and hopefully more responses here. i drive an 03 i4 5spd sedan and im looking into the possibility of going with a dual exhaust (IMO makes the rear look more symetrical). i read in the 4 banger section that it is possible to use an aftermarket cat-back for the v6 on the i4 with little modification, but then i got thinking that the piping is probally a little too large and i might run itno other unforseen problems. so my question is, is it possible to utilize an aftermarket v6 cat-back to get that dual look, or will i need to go custom? also, if i go custom, what size piping should i go with? im thinking 2.0 or 2.25 but im not sure. any help would be really appreciated! thanks!
JBLAccord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 9th, 2005, 07:29 PM   #2
clear the way!!!

Send a message via AIM to adamkim83
i have 2.25...running fine
adamkim83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 9th, 2005, 07:34 PM   #3
Guam, U.S. of A.

Your better off just purchasing an aftermarket exhaust system for the I4. You'll save yourself the money and the pain of trying to modify or having a custom built dual setup done for you. Also having a custom dual setup will not produce the outcome you going to expect. Especially sound wise. Stick with the single aftermarket muffler/exhaust setup.

But if your really want the dual look your better off going with a custom setup. Any muffler shop can do this for you. Trying to modify an aftermarket exhaust made for the V6 and not the I4 will cause you a lot of problems and if the shop makes a mistake just think of the money wasted.

Good luck!
D R E W is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old March 9th, 2005, 07:45 PM   #4
JDM FTW!!!11one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamkim83
i have 2.25...running fine
is this size piping on a single or dual setup? im willing to go with a single if it means a better sound and performance, but i really do like the symetrical look id be getting with the duals. im aware that going the custom route will probally be a PITA, so im still trying to figure out which route ill take with the exhaust. i was brainstorming the idea of 2.5 piping and just y-piping it from there to 2 mufflers...but my concern is that this will result in a loss of performance and a raspy sound. im still 50\50 on this so any advice would be appreciated, id also like to hear form anyone that has done duals on their i4.thanks
Old March 9th, 2005, 08:01 PM   #5
Guam, U.S. of A.

If sound and performance is important than going with a custom dual setup will not work. Remember an I4 will not sound like a V6 and a dual setup will result in a loss in power especially low end torque. Stick with a aftermarket setup made for the I4. You'll get more with this setup for your money.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008' Acura TL Type-S (Alabaster Silver)
D R E W is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 9th, 2005, 08:12 PM   #6
hmmm...

Send a message via AIM to 7thgenaccd
i have duals on my i4 with 2.25 piping...i'd go with single for performance, but since i have the oem rear lip, i needed to fill in the other hole in the lip, that's y i got a dual set-up.
7thgenaccd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 20th, 2005, 08:36 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thgenaccd
i have duals on my i4 with 2.25 piping...i'd go with single for performance, but since i have the oem rear lip, i needed to fill in the other hole in the lip, that's y i got a dual set-up.
did you loose any power or noticed a huge lost?
pitabread is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 20th, 2005, 09:14 AM   #8
hmmm...

Send a message via AIM to 7thgenaccd
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitabread
did you loose any power or noticed a huge lost?
not really, since i dont drive that hard i guess i cant tell any major difference.
7thgenaccd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 20th, 2005, 12:53 PM   #9
JDM FTW!!!11one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thgenaccd
not really, since i dont drive that hard i guess i cant tell any major difference.
well, the exhaust is going to have to be put off. some assclown hit my car last night and ran, damaging my rear bumper pretty bad.ill post pics in the next day or so. but on a side note, ive been doing some research on the duals and it seems that if done correctly, there can actually be a gain in HP...only thing is that these gains will be higher in the powerband so more than likely, even with a perfect setup...ill be losing some low end. im still debating it so if anyone wants to throw in their $.02 id be glad to hear it.
Old March 20th, 2005, 06:20 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBLAccord
well, the exhaust is going to have to be put off. some assclown hit my car last night and ran, damaging my rear bumper pretty bad.ill post pics in the next day or so. but on a side note, ive been doing some research on the duals and it seems that if done correctly, there can actually be a gain in HP...only thing is that these gains will be higher in the powerband so more than likely, even with a perfect setup...ill be losing some low end. im still debating it so if anyone wants to throw in their $.02 id be glad to hear it.
what kind of research have you done?
beacuse i'm thinking what if i make smaller pipes to gain that back presure back would it work you think?
Old March 20th, 2005, 09:33 PM   #11
JDM FTW!!!11one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitabread
what kind of research have you done?
beacuse i'm thinking what if i make smaller pipes to gain that back presure back would it work you think?

well, ive basically hit every forum for our model cars and have asked several friends that work at shops. i didnt ask about smaller piping to make up for the lost backpressure...but i would think that by going with a smaller pipe you could help that problem. i know there was a member on hondatuner that had a whole thread full of info on duals on the i4...alot of useful info, but i cant seem to find it now.
Old June 19th, 2005, 02:07 PM   #12

it's a old tread but I ended up getting dual on my i4.
i dont know if i lost power or not but i did notice a lost in torque @ low rpms.
maybe that's beacuse of the dc headers.
Old June 20th, 2005, 11:40 PM   #13

ok... i have duals on my I4. i have 2.5 inch pipe to the rear and a custom y-pipe into 2 magnaflow mufflers. there is that much of a sound diff. between 1 and 2 (had one MF then added the other later). it was a custom job. price total was around $350! i have actually noticed a nice increase in low and mid range power. i guess it's really how well of a custom job that your shop can do. mine does great work!
sstricker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 21st, 2005, 12:26 AM   #14

i have a dual setup on my i4, custom though not in to performance but didnt notice any loss at all.

any of you i4 ppl want some H&R springs pm me

Last edited by Deepa; June 21st, 2005 at 12:29 AM..
Deepa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 21st, 2005, 09:10 AM   #15

i have the OEM dual exhaust from a v6 6spd on my i4 auto coupe. I did it mainly for looks as opposed to performance. Def. finishes the car off well giving it the nice semetrical look esp with the OEM body kit in the rear filling in the extra hole.

would def recomend if you want it for looks but maybe not perfromance.
Raddy21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 21st, 2005, 11:33 AM   #16
JDM FTW!!!11one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstricker
ok... i have duals on my I4. i have 2.5 inch pipe to the rear and a custom y-pipe into 2 magnaflow mufflers. there is that much of a sound diff. between 1 and 2 (had one MF then added the other later). it was a custom job. price total was around $350! i have actually noticed a nice increase in low and mid range power. i guess it's really how well of a custom job that your shop can do. mine does great work!

lol, its nice that my thread shows up right before im about to do the exhaust, talk about good timing . anyways, i still havent completely let go of the posibility of goin with duals. i was wondering what your setup is (mufflers, cat. converter if any, piping, type of bends, etc..).
Old June 22nd, 2005, 12:10 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBLAccord
lol, its nice that my thread shows up right before im about to do the exhaust, talk about good timing . anyways, i still havent completely let go of the posibility of goin with duals. i was wondering what your setup is (mufflers, cat. converter if any, piping, type of bends, etc..).

i have a magnaflow high flow cat. 2.5 in. piping, custom y-pipe right after the rear axle. it is mandrel bent horizontal in front of the axle. the pipe splits into two magnaflow mufflers. i believe they are the 6" round mirror finish with 4" slash cut tips. i would almost guarantee a 10-15 hp increase in the low to mid range power witht his setup. if i stomp on it from a stand still it will smoke the tires for a good 50 feet. before if i did the same it would sound like smacking a dog in the nuts with a wet towel. ARRCCK!!!! hehe.
sstricker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in