Custom Dual vs. Cat Back - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 3rd, 2005, 05:26 PM   #1

Custom Dual vs. Cat Back

Alright well I've been reading up on most of the Cat Back systems available and came to the conclusion that the Greddy System is pretty much what I'm looking for. I called my exhaust shop that did a full custom system for my truck and asked them how much it would cost to do a complete dual system for my car. They quoted me around the same price as it would cost to buy the Greddy Evo2's. Is there a performance difference between full custom Dual vs. Cat Back. Also what would be the sound difference if I put on two greddy mufflers with a custom dual vs. the greddy evo2 cat back?
Nsaladino is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 3rd, 2005, 05:50 PM   #2
Gen7Accord.com

Send a message via AIM to eccsnow Send a message via MSN to eccsnow
greddy is tested and street legal!!! i'd definitely get greddy if i have a coupe
eccsnow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 3rd, 2005, 06:01 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by eccsnow
greddy is tested and street legal!!! i'd definitely get greddy if i have a coupe
i agree...if it's the same price.
$ilverbullet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old April 3rd, 2005, 06:56 PM   #4
indoctidiscant

Send a message via AIM to OwAce
ummmm i dont get it...as far as cat back is concerned..there is no further emissions reduction..

basically all that happens after catback is sound muffling..nothing else.. so really the only thing you want to worry about being street legal is decibel level, if ur state allows am exhausts.

i asked midas how muh they would charge for custom piping..from the catback and they said 150, and if u want add 25 per muffler, that comes to 200. get comptech mufflers from ebay and your looking at like 400 for the whole system i believe.
OwAce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 3rd, 2005, 07:45 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwAce
ummmm i dont get it...as far as cat back is concerned..there is no further emissions reduction..

basically all that happens after catback is sound muffling..nothing else.. so really the only thing you want to worry about being street legal is decibel level, if ur state allows am exhausts.

i asked midas how muh they would charge for custom piping..from the catback and they said 150, and if u want add 25 per muffler, that comes to 200. get comptech mufflers from ebay and your looking at like 400 for the whole system i believe.
I was in the same position.... in the end I decided to go for the custom dual exhaust (ceramic coated) with j-pipes and ss Magnaflow mufflers (part#14827) - all for the same price as the Evo2 catback. I figure by doing this, I'm going to get the best bang for $. The car goes in on Tuesday and ceramic coating will take about a week. I'll hopefully get some pics posted up once it's done.
CptEye is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 3rd, 2005, 08:04 PM   #6
indoctidiscant

Send a message via AIM to OwAce
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptEye
I was in the same position.... in the end I decided to go for the custom dual exhaust (ceramic coated) with j-pipes and ss Magnaflow mufflers (part#14827) - all for the same price as the Evo2 catback. I figure by doing this, I'm going to get the best bang for $. The car goes in on Tuesday and ceramic coating will take about a week. I'll hopefully get some pics posted up once it's done.

see now anything you mess with above the cat. your asking for emissions regulations issues.. you cant guarantee youll pass emissions if u get any custom work above your air sensors (all those emission sensors in the cats etc).
OwAce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 4th, 2005, 02:42 PM   #7

Ok so I might have a problem with emissions but what will be the difference in sound if any and what will be the difference in performance with custom J pipes and all that.
Old April 4th, 2005, 08:17 PM   #8

I doubt whether emissions will be a big issue as only the one of the three cats is being removed... but... I could be wrong...? May be more of an issue in Cali with their strict emission standards.

Going with the duals will definitely be louder (I guess that also depends on how many resonators you put in and the type of mufflers used) and as far as power goes... I was told not to expect any great increase in tq, but what you gain in hp on the top end more than makes up for it.

Maybe someone else can offer some more solid answers to your questions, I'm just guessing at this point until I actually get it done (tomorrow!).
CptEye is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 5th, 2005, 02:48 PM   #9

What do I gain having a custom system from the headers back, so including J pipes and all that. Performance wise what is the difference vs. a cat back system like the greddy evo2.
Old April 5th, 2005, 03:15 PM   #10

performance...if u go for the jpipe, you'l have more velocity going through the pipes cause there is no CAT, unlike the greddy ev02.

in regards to difference...honestly, i can't imagine it being more than 2-3hp @ most. There are no huge gains in exhausts, i dun think anyone has compared the two tho, but the diffence is STOCK CATS vs JPIPE (dual) w/out CATS).
Old April 5th, 2005, 05:10 PM   #11
I AM LOST....

Send a message via AIM to brex
dyno #

sick6speed - v2, custom dual j-pipe, h-pipe, and muffler, vafc, mt6, apexi muffler (i think)- 240whp, 22xtq
me - same stuff, at6, hammerbeck muffler - 230whp, 18xtq

now i can't remmeber if he has resonator and hi-flow cat.. i know i have a resonator for each pipe..

yes, its loud as hell.. but final sound depends on the muffler u get..
brex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 6th, 2005, 12:40 AM   #12

What is vafc? and if I had a really quiet muffler would it still be pretty ****ign loud full custom? What other things can I do to make the car faster besides, CAI and exhaust/custom J -pipe? There iss no chip out yet right? and no headers... so what else can I do besides supercharger/turbo. I dont mind spending some money but 3000+ is over my limit and I dont want to kill the car.
Old April 6th, 2005, 01:15 AM   #13

performance wise, there is nothing less, no pulleys out yet, no chip, your like the rest of us, CAI/EXHAUST, that's all we can do for now, until more mods come out.
Old April 6th, 2005, 01:41 AM   #14
wj4

Quote:
Originally Posted by brex
dyno #

sick6speed - v2, custom dual j-pipe, h-pipe, and muffler, vafc, mt6, apexi muffler (i think)- 240whp, 22xtq
me - same stuff, at6, hammerbeck muffler - 230whp, 18xtq

now i can't remmeber if he has resonator and hi-flow cat.. i know i have a resonator for each pipe..

yes, its loud as hell.. but final sound depends on the muffler u get..
i think brex saw a big diff in dyno when he switched from borla to the custom true dual. he went from 190-ish whp to 230 i believe....everything else remained hte same during the 2 dynos i think. the v2 intake and thats it? lol.
wj4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 6th, 2005, 02:37 AM   #15
I AM LOST....

Send a message via AIM to brex
Quote:
Originally Posted by wj4
i think brex saw a big diff in dyno when he switched from borla to the custom true dual. he went from 190-ish whp to 230 i believe....everything else remained hte same during the 2 dynos i think. the v2 intake and thats it? lol.
yeah.. before vafc tuning is 220.. after is 230.. so vafc does about 10.. and my last dyno with borla is 190-ish..
brex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 6th, 2005, 08:32 AM   #16
wj4

Quote:
Originally Posted by brex
yeah.. before vafc tuning is 220.. after is 230.. so vafc does about 10.. and my last dyno with borla is 190-ish..
honestly can u feel the hp or torque diff with the vafc? i think i mite get it by summer after my rims/tint/HIDs.
wj4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 6th, 2005, 11:19 PM   #17

what is VAFC?
Old April 11th, 2005, 11:24 PM   #18
SC J32A3 Accord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsaladino
what is VAFC?
Vtec Air Fuel Controller. Allows you to adjust your Vtec engagement rpm and fuel ratio.

Brex, when you did your vafc tuning, did you change your vtec engagement point or just adjust the fuel? Did you notice any difference in fuel mileage after changing the vtec engagement or fuel?
SleekAV6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 12th, 2005, 01:54 PM   #19

^ what he asked im totally interested.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in