Engine Performance in Altitude Change - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 20th, 2005, 04:05 AM   #1

Engine Performance in Altitude Change

Has anyone noticed a significant change in engine performance at higher/lower altitudes? Ex: I live at an altitude of 4300ft, when i drive 2 hours across the state to an altitude of only alittle under 1000ft my car has some balls. I mean here at the altitude i live at the power is pretty good considering 04 AV6 mt, but when i get to that low altitude my tires are burning and i actually have some understeer problems from the power gain.. I just cant believe that altitude can weigh that much on my engine as far as power gain/loss........It pisses me off leaving the low altitude and comming here when my car goes back to so so performance quickness.....so if anyone has experienced this id like to hear, and im sure there is no way to fix this unless i move!
SpecOpp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 20th, 2005, 07:13 AM   #2
Go Vikings Go

definatly man I came from Montana which is a mile high to MN wich is only like 4 or 500 feet above sea level and I notice a huge difference. It would be neat to dyno and actually see what the difference is.
ruarksaccord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 20th, 2005, 09:29 AM   #3
Honda/Acura Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Plumaccordcoupe
Thin air really hurts an engine's power output. That's why I'm glad I live in South Florida. We're basically at sea level to around 100 feet above it depending on where you go.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Senior Moderator and Florida Co-Moderator

If you have any questions or need to report something, either PM me or if I am online, IM me.

July Calendar:
Plumaccordcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old April 20th, 2005, 09:41 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to robbyx_209[9]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumaccordcoupe
Thin air really hurts an engine's power output. That's why I'm glad I live in South Florida. We're basically at sea level to around 100 feet above it depending on where you go.
yea, thin air at high altitudes really sucks.... i live in the 'high' desert area of socal and it always feels like my car struggles everywhere... whenever i go home to stockton, feels like it's got more power tho.... "feels like it's got more power" but it's really back to standards of where it should be at...

robbyx_209[9] is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 20th, 2005, 09:47 AM   #5
wj4

off topic but at the los angeles raceway track, which is almost 3000 ft above sea level, they give u a formula to apply to get ur real 1/4 time and speed. u have to multiply the time that comes up by .97 or something like that to get the actual 1/4 time. so yeah, thin air def hurts ur car. along with hot weather. this is one of the reason i love driving my car at nite in the cold air hehe.
do u guys also think that we get better gas mileage in thicker, colder air rather than hotter and thinner air?
wj4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 20th, 2005, 09:57 AM   #6
Honda/Acura Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Plumaccordcoupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by wj4
do u guys also think that we get better gas mileage in thicker, colder air rather than hotter and thinner air?
I used my OBD II scanner to read air intake temperature over a few days a couple of months ago. Between a day with low 50 degrees Fahrenheit temperature and a day with around 75 degrees Fahrenheit temperature, I noticed very little difference in the intake air temperature (air going into the engine). This was with a stock intake though so I'm not sure if a CAI would make a big difference. But since you wouldn't use your A/C on a cool day I would say that the ideal climate would be a place with thicker/denser cooler air.

Plumaccordcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 25th, 2005, 09:45 PM   #7
Banned

Generally in high altitude areas, FI cars are much more accustomed to the rigors as opposed to NA vechicles. Case in point the EVO, STI, etc. Twin turbos are ideal to that climate. I wonder how kompressors fare in contrast to the turbos ?
Lxcord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 25th, 2005, 11:55 PM   #8

Huh, thats interesting, so FI cars actually can adapt to altitude change, and run the same. Wish that were true for us NA cars, and we dont even have an option for FI anyway, so guess im outa luck in this thin air hell.
Old April 26th, 2005, 03:01 PM   #9
Banned

not quite, all cars loose power at high altitudes, FI cars typically loose less HP, as opposed to na cars...

but you do have an option for FI, the STS turbo kit, its expensive, but at least you have an option instead of waiting for comptech to make one ( which they never will)
Old April 26th, 2005, 04:58 PM   #10

So this STS is available as of now for the 7TH gen AV6?? How much $$ are we talking total for this setup and what co. is selling it? Does anyone else on this forum have it? Is it one of those rear setups?
Old April 26th, 2005, 08:47 PM   #11
Banned

right now the kit is custom since nobody volunteered yet, so the intial start-up price will be high, but as more people sign up, prices will eventually fall. The potential is there though for the 7gen AV6 , turbos always make more power than kompressors, but some require a lot more piping,etc. But this kit seems to be better than most, here's the link

STS Turbo

comptech might make a blower kit in 2010....
Old April 26th, 2005, 11:53 PM   #12

Looks pretty good, but it doesnt say how universal they are and the honda/acura products arent avail yet. Ill probably give em a call to see what is available if anything for 7th gen AV6.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in