The good and bad? - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 23rd, 2005, 03:24 PM   #1

The good and bad?

What is the good and what is the bad for replacing the stock intake. Im thinking about getting the v2.
Asking question becasue someone told me oh dont replace your stock intake, it'll mess up your engine.
Deepa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 23rd, 2005, 03:31 PM   #2
U a Ryder Or a Hater?

Send a message via AIM to 04rydah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepa
What is the good and what is the bad for replacing the stock intake. Im thinking about getting the v2.
Asking question becasue someone told me oh dont replace your stock intake, it'll mess up your engine.

04rydah is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 23rd, 2005, 05:26 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to Pochacc_will
is that someone from a mental institute?!

Pochacc_will is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old April 23rd, 2005, 05:42 PM   #4
I feel da need 4 6-speeds

Send a message via ICQ to flyvtec Send a message via AIM to flyvtec Send a message via Yahoo to flyvtec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepa
GOOD:

- Increases power/torque because cold air is denser than hot air
- Growl sound
- Improves throttle response (at least that's what I notice in my car)
- Potentially could save you gas if you drive normal

BAD:

- Need to contact AEM for the CARB EO # sticker to put on the intake to make it legal in Cali
- Possibility of hydrolock if you go over deep puddles or it rains a lot in your area
- Will not save you gas because you'll be hauling azz all the time listening to that beautiful growl sound!
- May increase your chances of getting speeding tickets!
flyvtec is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 24th, 2005, 01:44 AM   #5

I didnt really belive it either but this is exactly what that person said........."look your taking out all kinds of filters and what not and replacing it with one pipe and a smaller filter, look how simple aftermarket is compared to the stock."
Old April 24th, 2005, 09:20 AM   #6

Send a message via ICQ to flyvtec Send a message via AIM to flyvtec Send a message via Yahoo to flyvtec
Do you trust this person's automotive knowledge? "...taking out all kinds of filters...replacing it with one pipe and a smaller filter...." WTFO? There is only one air filter. Has this person ever modded an engine before? It is common knowledge that stock intakes and exhausts are designed to be quieter and restrictive with regards to airflow. Otherwise, people would not buy a ton of Hondas because aftermarket intakes/exhausts tend to make the car louder. Right?

Aftermarket CAI's put more "cold" air into the engine which increases HP because cold air is denser than hot air. Aftermarket exhaust systems flow air faster because they are less restrictive which is why they are usually louder than stock. Consequently...it makes sense to match up an aftermarket intake with an aftermarket exhaust if you are looking for a few more ponies in your car because then your engine sucks in air in HUGE chunks in the front and BLOWS it out quickly through the pipes in the rear with less restriction!

Bottom line: COLD AIR = MORE HP.

Since you live in NORCAL and it rains a lot there...maybe it doesn't make sense for you to mod your intake because of hydrolock issues. It's really up to you. You can always keep the stock intake because if you are not happy with the V2, you can go back to stock.

AEM V2:

COMPTECH STAINLESS STEEL EXHAUST SYSTEM:

Old April 24th, 2005, 02:56 PM   #7

flyvtech, thats a nice exhaust setup, how much did that run with install? and are those tips resonated? is it loud as hell, or a quiet tone..im in need of exhaust, but i dont want the loud fart can sound....that looks good, and i was looking to buy the comptech system, but i just dont know if its loud or not, cause no one has it aroud here.
SpecOpp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 24th, 2005, 04:59 PM   #8
oSCaR

If your concerned w/ hydrolock dont get the V2. Get the basic AEM cold air intake w/ a bypass valve so you have the peace of mind. (You cant put a bypass valve on a V2 unless you cut it, and when you do those power gains will diminish).
v6_ccord_2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 24th, 2005, 05:55 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecOpp
flyvtech, thats a nice exhaust setup, how much did that run with install? and are those tips resonated? is it loud as hell, or a quiet tone..im in need of exhaust, but i dont want the loud fart can sound....that looks good, and i was looking to buy the comptech system, but i just dont know if its loud or not, cause no one has it aroud here.
Thanks man.

The exhaust system was $1024 ($950 plus 7.75% CALI tax) and the install was $80 = $1104. Yup...cost me a pretty penny but worth every cent in my book! The tips are resonated...has a nice tone but not very loud...now that it's matched up to my V2, it sounds deeper and I love it!

Dude...check out the exhaust comparison thread in the 7th gen performance section. There are a few sound clips of the Borla, GReddy, etc. I plan on making a couple of more vids with the V2 because I only have stock intake when I made the vid. If you can't find the thread, here is the site and password to get in to my Comptech clips.

http://salominojr.neptune.com/

password: comptechvid
Old April 24th, 2005, 06:45 PM   #10

Thanks for the info. They sound pretty good......Did you purchase the setup from comptech direct?
Old April 24th, 2005, 06:51 PM   #11

Quote:

This is what I am looking at (link below) ..............Where waiting for someone who is able to host a wav file.

http://www.v6performance.net/forums/...ad.php?t=49729

Rick
THERUIZFAMILY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 24th, 2005, 11:09 PM   #12

Those would be better cause they have no resonators, but they are for the 6th gen only. Are you still planning on getting them, you have 7th gen right?
Old April 24th, 2005, 11:30 PM   #13

Quote:
Those would be better cause they have no resonators, but they are for the 6th gen only. Are you still planning on getting them, you have 7th gen right?

I have 7th gen. I was talking about these......they are universal

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...spagename=WDVW
THERUIZFAMILY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 24th, 2005, 11:40 PM   #14

Quote:
Thanks for the info. They sound pretty good......Did you purchase the setup from comptech direct?
Thanks! Got em here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...sPageName=WD1V

I checked your photo gallery and notice that you have an auto because of your wheels (nice car by the way.)

You may want to ask/search other auto coupe owners who have aftermarket exhaust to find out if they have droning issues.
Old April 25th, 2005, 03:16 AM   #15

No i get that alot, but actually mine is a 6spd,(guess im gonna have to post the interior pic so i dont get any auto questions) i have auto wheels, the 17"s were taken off when i bought the car, and i bought the car used with those on it, thats why i got a little bit of a discount, and i found out from the dealer that the previous owner trashed the 2 left front and back 17" rims, so they swapped them to make it sellable i guess. Id like to have had those 17s like every other 6spd owner has, but im looking for some wheels now maybe some racing harts or 5zigen. Have any ideas on good wheels? im looking for a style in glossy black or gun metal 18's. Thanks for the info
Old April 25th, 2005, 03:27 AM   #16

I contacted the ebay company for the Comptech exhaust to ask them what thier stock looks like.
Old April 25th, 2005, 03:54 PM   #17

wheels look into axis they got some nice wheels
Old April 26th, 2005, 07:52 PM   #18

Quote:
No i get that alot, but actually mine is a 6spd,(guess im gonna have to post the interior pic so i dont get any auto questions) i have auto wheels, the 17"s were taken off when i bought the car, and i bought the car used with those on it, thats why i got a little bit of a discount, and i found out from the dealer that the previous owner trashed the 2 left front and back 17" rims, so they swapped them to make it sellable i guess. Id like to have had those 17s like every other 6spd owner has, but im looking for some wheels now maybe some racing harts or 5zigen. Have any ideas on good wheels? im looking for a style in glossy black or gun metal 18's. Thanks for the info

No prob man. I think that's the 1st 6speed I've seen with 16's! It's all good. That sucka probably haulz azz!

As far as wheels...how much do you wanna spend? There are so many to choose from it will drive you insane! I've got 17's on now but "thinking" about getting 18's when its time to replace my tires. Probably in the summer. We'll see...
Old April 26th, 2005, 11:09 PM   #19
mog

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyvtec
Thanks man.

The exhaust system was $1024 ($950 plus 7.75% CALI tax) and the install was $80 = $1104. Yup...cost me a pretty penny but worth every cent in my book! The tips are resonated...has a nice tone but not very loud...now that it's matched up to my V2, it sounds deeper and I love it!

Dude...check out the exhaust comparison thread in the 7th gen performance section. There are a few sound clips of the Borla, GReddy, etc. I plan on making a couple of more vids with the V2 because I only have stock intake when I made the vid. If you can't find the thread, here is the site and password to get in to my Comptech clips.

http://salominojr.neptune.com/

password: comptechvid
How do u keep them so shiny? Do u actually clean them?
mog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 26th, 2005, 11:23 PM   #20

mog...yup, i get underneath the car and wipe down the mufflers/tips every time i wash my car. if i'm gonna spend serious $$$$ on an exhaust system, i'm gonna take care of them!
Old April 27th, 2005, 01:07 AM   #21
346hp/300tq @ 4psi

Quote:

i also looked in your gallery, nice car, but its not an auto?? then who ever owned it before you, really wanted it to look like an automatic. they also trashed the 6spd vents and replaced them with the automatic ones too. who would go through the trouble?
04accordcpe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 27th, 2005, 02:23 AM   #22

Vents? What vents?
Old April 27th, 2005, 02:35 AM   #23

Oh you are talking about the 2 side vents, they should look different huh? I dunno what should they look like? Maybe new bumper? Maybe the car was in an accident, i dunno. Guess i should take a pic of the interior and my shift knob so no more confusion. Your is a 6spd, and your vents look the same, or did you have them replaced.
Old April 27th, 2005, 01:08 PM   #24
14.58 =Quickest Gen7 auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04accordcpe
they also trashed the 6spd vents and replaced them with the automatic ones too.
Are they (the 6-speed vs. auto vents) different looking? I thought they looked the same, just that the 6-speed driver-side one had openings where the slots are (in lieu of being solid, or closed). Can you really tell just by looking at a pic? Or am I totally lost??
03LXV6Guy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 27th, 2005, 03:33 PM   #25

Ya i dont see that either, his are the same on his 6spd, i dunno, but anyway.....
Old April 27th, 2005, 06:29 PM   #26
346hp/300tq @ 4psi

SpecOpp...yes 6spd vs auto vents are different. i installed oem foglights which look simular to the autos except with lights. makes me wonder why anybody would go through the trouble to make thier car look like an automatic. my original vents had one horizontal line in middle and the drivers side was open, which gives more air to the 6spds stock semi cold air intake. the auto vents are flat looking with 2 horizontal lines just like yours. i know its alittle off topic, but just like Flyvtec said, i too have never seen a 6spd with auto wheels AND vents before. take a look at this thread and scroll down, there are pictures of the 2different vents!

http//www.v6performance.net/forums/showthread.php?t=50435&highlights=bumper+vents

these are the automatics, like yours right?

Last edited by 04accordcpe; April 27th, 2005 at 07:55 PM..
04accordcpe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 27th, 2005, 10:10 PM   #27

I think you can tell from this shot what the 6speed front vents look like. Very different from the autos:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in