Gauging interest in custom J-pipe for fabricator, how much would you pay? - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: How much would you pay for custom J-Pipe estimating 8-12HP gains at wheels?
less than 450 23 79.31%
450-500 3 10.34%
500-600 3 10.34%
600-700 0 0%
700+ 0 0%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 3rd, 2005, 11:49 AM   #1

Gauging interest in custom J-pipe for fabricator, how much would you pay?

In summary, I have approached a fabricator with the idea of getting a fixture made so they can make multiple copies with little downtime of the donor vehicle (mine). Obviously, the more they make the less it will cost everyone. So, serious buyers only, you will buy one, but at xxx price. After the first one is made (at my expense), I will dyno and share results. Even after voting, I will not reveal any details about how many we want to the fabricator until after everyone has seen the dyno results. Most people will have high expectations and I don't want to lock anyone in until afterwards. Once the dyno results are posted, I will post another poll to see how many we actually want, but for now, I need to qauge interest and have an estimate on what people think this part should cost. FYI, dealer price is about 430, hondaautomotiveparts sells for about 250 or so. Quality headers Comptech ran 1250 for header and downpipe for previous V6. Qty of votes will tell me how many people are actually serious about purchasing one. You have one week, vote away.

J
Jinx32 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 3rd, 2005, 12:04 PM   #2
I Jumped Off Da Bandwagon

Just for the J-pipe alone shouldn't cost more than 450 imo since you can get a custom true dual setup for some more money. I'd only be interested if the price is less than 450.
Hongda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 3rd, 2005, 12:37 PM   #3
_

seriously......less than 450 for sure.
0430Steve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old May 3rd, 2005, 01:09 PM   #4
indoctidiscant

Send a message via AIM to OwAce
having no clue if the jpipe would remove the cats etc etc. and make me fail emissions, id have to go off how the car passes emissions before i can say yes i would purchase. even then 450 is way high.
OwAce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 3rd, 2005, 01:23 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwAce
having no clue if the jpipe would remove the cats etc etc. and make me fail emissions, id have to go off how the car passes emissions before i can say yes i would purchase. even then 450 is way high.
This is for a J-pipe replacement only. It would replace the stock part. Direct bolt on between all three cats. No cat replacement. Material would be SST, most likely not polished since it will get the crap kicked out of it anyway under the car, and cannot be seen from the engine bay.

J
Old May 3rd, 2005, 01:30 PM   #6
Nothing special

Send a message via AIM to blu6speed
I agree...400 or less would be in a good ball park. If you go higher, your not going to get the same qty of purchasers. Get paid for the time and materials, but dont price yourself out of the market.
blu6speed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 3rd, 2005, 01:39 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu6speed
I agree...400 or less would be in a good ball park. If you go higher, your not going to get the same qty of purchasers. Get paid for the time and materials, but dont price yourself out of the market.
Understood. Just gauging interest at this point. Hey, if it costs me 750 to make it and everyone gets theirs for 400, so be it, at least it's for the greater good. I am not looking to make profit, I'm looking to make a part and get it to our fellow V6'ers. If everyone says "under 450", I will include another price break later on when it's made to see how low people really want this thing to go for.

It would save me alot of time and money if one of the few who removed their old J-pipe for a custom, would send me their old pipe for use as a template. It would be returned, with at most a few felt marker markings on it during the measureing process.

J

Last edited by Jinx32; May 3rd, 2005 at 01:41 PM..
Old May 3rd, 2005, 01:44 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hongda
Just for the J-pipe alone shouldn't cost more than 450 imo since you can get a custom true dual setup for some more money. I'd only be interested if the price is less than 450.

True, but that requires downtime. I don't know about you, but I need my car. I'd be willing to spend a few extra bucks for a part I can bolt on myself that doesn't need to be custom fit/fabbed in Joe's Garage.

J
Old May 3rd, 2005, 01:45 PM   #9

i'm definitely interested for a price of around $450. I've been waiting for these and pulleys for a long time!!!
lazybum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 3rd, 2005, 02:05 PM   #10

Send a message via AIM to SweetMt6speed
I'm interested. I'll wait for more info,(dyno,quality,fit) but I don't think 400-450 is a bad price to shoot for. Let me know, Thanks
SweetMt6speed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 3rd, 2005, 06:12 PM   #11
Biohazard Level 4

Well I once called comptech (who has notoriously high prices) and for the downpipe section of a header for the 6th gen accords, it cost a bit over $400 if I remember correctly. That is for stainless steel, of course

...and your paying for the letters C-O-M-P-T-E-C-H as well.
Scubaman3D is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 3rd, 2005, 08:52 PM   #12
No Life LowLife

Thanks Jinx32 for the effort. As you can see in many other post here, there is a lot interest in the J-pipe. As for the price, it really depends on the dyno numbers. If the product can give me +10hp and +10tq, I'll pay $500 for it!
Leeak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 3rd, 2005, 09:12 PM   #13
oSCaR

seriously, if it turns out some NOOIIICE numbers ill drop 4+ bills for it too under 400 and im definitely IN, shoot ill get a j-pipe instead of an exhaust if it turns up those numbers...
v6_ccord_2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 4th, 2005, 08:38 AM   #14
Biohazard Level 4

^fo shizzel...

wait, does anybody know if you install headers/jpipes, alone, do you generally post higher gains than exhaust alone?

I thought that was the case for my old Integra...that the JDM ITR header I got did more by it self (+ intake) than the exhaust by it self did.
Scubaman3D is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 10th, 2005, 12:18 PM   #15

Quick update, going in on 21st for analysis and undercar review to determine what parts need to be ordered by the shop for a preliminary assembly. Will schedule test fitment shortly thereafter where they will remove my J-pipe and do a quicky fitment to get a basic design moving. Then I leave, (with my original J-pipe reinstalled) while they tinker around with a good design. Then I go back once it's ready for fitment, rinse/repeat until it:
A: Fits perfect
B: Has nice smooth curves for good flow
C: Is easily reproduceable

After that, I will test a production model (not the template model) so I test what everyone will get.

Gonna be awhile to make it all worth it. Will keep ya'll posted.

By the way, this part is way more complex than it looks. You got 3 flanges, one of which looks unusual, each with countersunk gaskets, numerous bends and alignment issues with the bolt holes, clearance issues under the pan and oh, don't go too low or you will scrape. There is also a floating anchor point with grommet an expansion joint and multiple tubing diameters. I hope they don't freak when they see it.

J
Old May 10th, 2005, 12:23 PM   #16
indoctidiscant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx32
don't go too low or you will scrape.

J

you ever notice how all camrys look as if their exhaust pipe has lost a couple of hangers and is hanging low off the underbody?

anyhow GO JINX32 GO!!! btw what shop is this, where is it located?
Old May 10th, 2005, 01:14 PM   #17
Banned

Send a message via AIM to 04phataccord
Jinx - i will be going to them soon, I will talk to the owner if I have time and let him knwo what we discussed but there great at doing things like this. Not to mention its a great HP increase for you v6 guys (i have an i4), but I am having them stick the v6 exhaust on my 4 but it needs to be welded in a few spots...
04phataccord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 10th, 2005, 02:20 PM   #18

Quote:
you ever notice how all camrys look as if their exhaust pipe has lost a couple of hangers and is hanging low off the underbody?

anyhow GO JINX32 GO!!! btw what shop is this, where is it located?

Keeping the shop name private for now. Don't want to impose if they haven't agreed to anything yet. I had initiated contact with these guys, and then 04phataccord later recommended them without knowing I was already in contact. He is going down before me since he is having some work done, has worked with them before and recommended a few other people to them to get work done. Hopefully in the near future you will see this part in their current production lineup on their website. How cool would that be? They make Viper, Corvette and I believe some AMG/Merc parts.

J
Old May 10th, 2005, 02:40 PM   #19
Banned

yea the name is going to stay silent...

But in anycase the quality is really freaken good, it aint no midas or maaco shop (i forgot which one does mufflers) In anycase you can add to that list Porsche custom exhaust, and i have seen them do manifolds.
Old May 10th, 2005, 02:58 PM   #20
I Jumped Off Da Bandwagon

Sounds very promising you guys. Keep up the good work in getting something made for our cars.
Hongda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 10th, 2005, 03:08 PM   #21
indoctidiscant

understood. i was thinking how possible it would have been for me to actually pick up the jpipe if they do make it.
Old May 10th, 2005, 07:38 PM   #22
oSCaR

woo hoo... glad to see this moving SLOW because I dont have the money rn and Im pretty sure Ill have it by when its finished , I know a lot of you guys out there want this ASAP and been waiting for eternity...
Old May 10th, 2005, 07:47 PM   #23
indoctidiscant

FRACK YOU!!!! i want this ishnit now!!!
Old May 10th, 2005, 10:21 PM   #24
oSCaR

Quote:
FRACK YOU!!!! i want this ishnit now!!!
I would want it yesturday if I had the MONEY!
Old May 11th, 2005, 06:50 AM   #25
indoctidiscant

sell your car, you can then buy 30 downpipes or more maybe.

Old May 11th, 2005, 08:06 AM   #26

Quote:
understood. i was thinking how possible it would have been for me to actually pick up the jpipe if they do make it.
With your hands......

Actually, I've been thinking about shipment issues for awhile and will have to discuss it with them.

J
Old May 11th, 2005, 08:24 AM   #27
indoctidiscant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx32
With your hands......

Actually, I've been thinking about shipment issues for awhile and will have to discuss it with them.

J
yah, cos that itself would be a 50-100 cost. depending on the size of the jpipe.

edit scratch that 50-100 cost based on what these guys say below.

Last edited by OwAce; May 11th, 2005 at 02:02 PM..
Old May 11th, 2005, 08:46 AM   #28
Banned

I would handle that..i would need money up front if you want me to handle that Jinx. Just everyone has to pay beofre a certain date a certain price and thats it. Shipping and handling no matter where you live...
Old May 11th, 2005, 01:40 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04phataccord
I would handle that..i would need money up front if you want me to handle that Jinx. Just everyone has to pay beofre a certain date a certain price and thats it. Shipping and handling no matter where you live...
I have a personal Fedex ground account I use for all my shipments, and unlimited box supplies, but none are the exact shape we would need. I was going to approach Danny on that later on after all the prototype work is complete. See how much they want to get involved. We'll cross that bridge when we get there. Fedex ground shipment for a 20lb brick is under $20 from NJ to CA including AoD and $500 insurance.

J
Old May 11th, 2005, 01:59 PM   #30
Banned

True if not ill help ya out...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in