More sound from stock 6-speed intake? - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 15th, 2005, 11:28 AM   #1

More sound from stock 6-speed intake?

Hello everyone. I have an 04 6 speed and would like some more sound from my intake. I already have a Borla exhaust installed. I'm a little short on cash right now or I'd buy a new CAI. Is there any way to modify the stock exhaust to get a little more volume?

Also, a friend gave me a like new AEM VI intake (not V2). I am sure that would improve the sound but I dont want to lose torque so I haven't installed it yet. Any thoughts?
Thanks
cargovoyage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 15th, 2005, 01:51 PM   #2

#1, you can take off the resonator (that big curvy pipe)
#2, install the AEM. you wont lose any low-end torque (in fact, with my injen, i feel like it gained a little power across the whole band) and you'll gain high end definetly.
deuzezwild is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 15th, 2005, 03:59 PM   #3
7yr / 120K

I too didn't want to spend a bunch of money on a cold air intake. I really only wanted to get some extra sound. I removed all of the lower plumbing along with the stock panel filter and the top of the intake box. I then installed a cone filter right on the stock pipe. Major inprovement!

Celestion is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old May 15th, 2005, 05:10 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestion
I too didn't want to spend a bunch of money on a cold air intake. I really only wanted to get some extra sound. I removed all of the lower plumbing along with the stock panel filter and the top of the intake box. I then installed a cone filter right on the stock pipe. Major inprovement!

Way cool. Thanks for the photos and the tip. Do you notice a difference in power/torque or just sound? How would you describe the sound? Is it annoying at highway speed or just louder like a cai? Did you need any special adapter rings or did the cone filter just fit with some clamps? Much appreciated.
Old May 15th, 2005, 06:08 PM   #5
7yr / 120K

Quote:
Originally Posted by cargovoyage
Way cool. Thanks for the photos and the tip. Do you notice a difference in power/torque or just sound? How would you describe the sound? Is it annoying at highway speed or just louder like a cai? Did you need any special adapter rings or did the cone filter just fit with some clamps? Much appreciated.

Actually, I wasn't even planning on doing the mod yet.... but I was at a friends place and he had the filter sitting in his his garage. I figured what the hell, maybe it would work. Well I pulled of the top part of the airbox and to my amazement, the filter diameter was perfect. It just slid right into end of the stock flex pipe and fit like a glove. I didn't need any adapter or aditional parts! Then I just pulled out all of the plumbing because it really wasn't needed at that point. Basicall all there is left is the bottom shell of the airbox and a loarge hole facing at the bottom right which allows for the air to get in.

As for sound, at idle there is no difference unless you blip the trottle. That will create the nice sucking swoosh sound. VTEC ingagement is very dramatic now and the motor really comes to life in VTEC. Before I had to strain to hear the crossover point, but now its very obvious. The tone is fairly stong and deep and it definitly sounds aftermarket. Under normal driving there really isn't any difference.

I also wouldn't imagine that it increase the hp by much if anything. I really don't notice a seat of the pants increase but it definitly SOUNDS faster hehe.... Throttle responce does seem a tad better and low end pull might have change slighty. Just don't expect anything dramatic as far as performance.

This is pretty much a cheap sound mod but you will not be disapointed if you want a quiet car that comes to life when you get into it. Just measure the interior dia of the stock pip and find a filter that fits that.

Here are a few more deatailed pics!

Stock pipe opening with top of airbox removed

Top of airbox and stock filter. You need a filter that is the same diameter as this airbox hole.

You can see that there is actually a curved part at the bottom of the airbox that directs the air from the large hole directly to the filter.

Hope this helps.... Good Luck!!!
Old May 15th, 2005, 09:16 PM   #6
Master of Disaster...

Send a message via AIM to MysterGoode Send a message via MSN to MysterGoode
When I put in my k&N I noticed a big difference in sound as far as volume. I love the way my car sounds now. The cone filter mod is pretty cool, but the air is not going to be as cold considering that the filter is going to be sucking in air that is right next to the block as opposed to drawing air from underneath the car.
MysterGoode is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 15th, 2005, 09:40 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysterGoode
When I put in my k&N I noticed a big difference in sound as far as volume. I love the way my car sounds now. The cone filter mod is pretty cool, but the air is not going to be as cold considering that the filter is going to be sucking in air that is right next to the block as opposed to drawing air from underneath the car.
Thank you so much for taking the time to explain this and send pics. I think I will try the cone filter mod. I know it isn't a true cai, but I figure that there will be less air flow resistance without the stock airbox in place. As long as I don't lose power I'm fine, I mainly want sound. Also, this way I only have to remove the airbox and not the whole assembly of the intake. I can always stick it back in place later if I want. Also, there is less chance of drawing any water in.

Any other comments are much appreciated.
Old May 16th, 2005, 10:38 AM   #8

If you already have a V1, go ahead and install it. With apologies to Celestion, a properly engineered CAI should give you more power than a ghetto cone intake.

I had a ghetto setup for a while in my old Civic with a cone filter and some flexible ducting and even a scoop to funnel cold air to it. I though it was way cool and should have given me almost the same power as a CAI. However, when I was finally able to get an AEM CAI for that car, it was remarkable how much stronger it felt.

So with my 03 AV6, I kept the intake stock (well with a drop in K&N) until I could get a CAI. I have my V1 installed for about a month and felt a small gain in HP (butt dyno) and a large increase in sound when you hit the VTEC crossover. If you are looking to increase HP and sound the V1 won't disappoint.
Scott Si is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 16th, 2005, 01:03 PM   #9
7yr / 120K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Si
If you already have a V1, go ahead and install it. With apologies to Celestion, a properly engineered CAI should give you more power than a ghetto cone intake.
No prob Scott.... I totally agree that a full aftermarket intake is the correct way to go. Your spending the money on R&D and a tuned system that increases power and looks great. I am actually going to go that route eventually but when I saw the filter in my buddies garage I just couldn't resist trying it and was not only suprised that it was a perfect fit, but also at how good it sounded. Just keep in mind that I had no expectation that this simple alterative would give me any ponies, you know what they say, you get what you pay for, but I just wanted more sound and that is exactly what I have now. I'm happy with it and to be honest, it doesn't really look all that bad considering its just a cone on the stock plumbing. I'd much rather have the nice pipe to look at but this will have to do for now. I really don't pop my hood much anyways.

So, I do agree that if you have a V1 sitting around I would try that first over just a cone filter in place of the airbox.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in