Custom exhaust work, removal of cat.. - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 18th, 2005, 04:08 PM   #1
indoctidiscant

Send a message via AIM to OwAce
Custom exhaust work, removal of cat..

So i take my car over to a guy whose known for exhaust work over in the holyoke area.

the guy puts my car up on his lift and takes a good look over it.

Guy recommends that i should get a straight through pipe from the flex pipe back.
Heres where i need help. Should i go with 2", 2.25" or 2.5". I know CT uses 2.5" piping, but he didnt even bring that up.

I think i will be removing the 3rd cat since i saw no sensors on it, and i presume it will only fail emissions on a dyno and obdii ports should have no issues in the car reading fine.

The guy said he doest want to touch the axleback as he feels its a good job, and that the oval piping post premuffler and pre ypipe is good, and that our mufflers arent that restrictive.

he said the area where you have most issues is the middle pipping that for some reasons has kinks in it. Now i dont want a car thats too friggin loud, and ive read that ppl who took our their resonators and premuffler thought their car sounded way too loud. so do you think i should keep the premuffler in? and take out the resonator and the cat and use the X.XX" piping?

heres the other weird thing, the guy said our headers cant be welded in, and based on what he saw, he said they could be unbolted, but he said he wasnt too sure. He also said he didnt really want to mess with anything preflex pipe since he felt it was all good.

So im open to any suggestions and advice.
OwAce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 18th, 2005, 09:26 PM   #2
Your Mom Drives a Honda

Send a message via AIM to smokin6speed
i have read stuff on other threads about people having problems with that 3rd cat removal...strange odors...like rotten eggs....and then CEL coming on...not sure who it was but i do recall someone talking about taking it out or puttin a high flow cat in and having problems....but that is just what i recall hearing....and i have the borla catback and i took out the resonator and premuffler and i dont think it is too loud at all...nice and beefy when you get on it but decent enough to not be droning at crusing speeds...
smokin6speed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 19th, 2005, 06:50 AM   #3
Nothing special

Send a message via AIM to blu6speed
My third cat is gone, and I dont have any issues. I used 2.5 from the stock downpipes back to the stock mufflers. It sounds awsome...

The third cat does not have an o2 sensor to tell the computer anything, therefore you will not throw a cel. The rotten egg smell was coming from the cars with malfunctioning cats from the factory. The smell does not present itself once the thrid cat is killed. I dont think there should be a problem passing emissions testing- these cars run so clean they should be within spec without it.
blu6speed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old May 19th, 2005, 07:09 AM   #4
indoctidiscant

thanks blu, thats what i wanted to hear. im actually thinking of putting in a dynomax resonator, since our current one runs 2", and im getting 2.5" piping. btw what did ur muffler dude say about our kinky downpipe?

my guy was like i dont know wtf honda was thinking with a pipe all kinked like that.
Old May 19th, 2005, 08:10 AM   #5
Nothing special

Thats exactly what my muffler guy thought...he said it looked like the honda engineers tied a knot with the exhaust! Someday we will have J-pipes available...
Old May 19th, 2005, 08:37 AM   #6
indoctidiscant

heres the weird part, the guy said that honda actually designed our jpipes really well, and replacing them will affect the cars power band significantly. he said its asking for a lot to replace j pipes. i was also shocked when he said our headers are bolt on. i would really like to see dyno results from the jpipe jinx32 is working on.

personally i think our downpipe is the issue, it goes from a 3.5 inch flex pipe to a 2: downpipe to a 2" resonator.
Old May 19th, 2005, 12:48 PM   #7
Biohazard Level 4

The V6 Accord definately does NOT have bolton headers. Look in your engine bay. You should see catalytic converters where a header would "normally" be found. The exhause manifold is cast with the block.

He is correct, however, that replacing the j-pipe could signifigantly affect the engine's power. There are 2 or 3 people who have dyno'ed their cars after installing custom fabricated j-pipes, and signifigantly INCREASED their power.

The J-pipes were "well designed" to restrict the crap out of exhaust flow...
Scubaman3D is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 19th, 2005, 01:59 PM   #8
Tofu Delivery Boy

Send a message via AIM to The_Tofu_Shop
without the 3rd cat you will be fine. and i would want to hear a 2.25 first. or i would have him make 2.25 and if it isnt loud enough, then i would get 2.5...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Andy 2
SoCal Pride

G-Spec Points: 40
The_Tofu_Shop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 20th, 2005, 12:30 AM   #9
i like dogs

i'm new to the car specifics, so if we got a custom j-pipe, what exact piping would u need?
in other words, what do you tell ur exhaust guy what to install? or replace?
hobbes235 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 20th, 2005, 07:03 AM   #10
Nothing special

We will be shifting our power bands by replacing the stock J-pipe. Honda designed the current setup to work provide torque on the low end of the rev band. If we open it up, we will loose some bottom end, but the top end is more open to breath which means more top end power.
Old May 20th, 2005, 09:40 AM   #11
Nothing special

I still think punching the two precats would do more than replacing the j-pipe... I need to go to a junk yard and pull them off, punch em and install them on my car. If anyone has an idea where I could buy a stock set (other than a dealership) let me know
Old May 20th, 2005, 11:14 AM   #12

My resonator and 3rd cat(premuffler) are both removed and I have 2.5 fron the cat back then Y to two comptechs and it sounds great imo
03ondubs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 20th, 2005, 01:16 PM   #13
14.58 =Quickest Gen7 auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03ondubs
My resonator and 3rd cat(premuffler) are both removed......
Uhhhh..... which is it? Your 3rd cat or the pre-muffler. They are NOT the same thing.

Fyi, our exhaust system consists of (from the engine back), 2 close coupled cats, a single cat (supposedly with very little restriction), a resonator, a pre-muffler, and 2 mufflers.
03LXV6Guy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 20th, 2005, 05:06 PM   #14

[QUOTE=03LXV6Guy]Uhhhh..... which is it? Your 3rd cat or the pre-muffler. They are NOT the same thing.

Fyi, our exhaust system consists of (from the engine back), 2 close coupled cats, a single cat (supposedly with very little restriction), a resonator, a pre-muffler, and 2 mufflers.
FYI to be politically correct my resonator & premuffler are gone
03ondubs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 24th, 2005, 09:25 AM   #15
pch
1quick240

Send a message via MSN to pch Send a message via Yahoo to pch
blue6speed, what do you mean by "punching the two precats"?
pch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 24th, 2005, 09:40 AM   #16
Nothing special

Stop punching fluffy!!

'punching' is basically the removal all the inner parts of the cats, while leaving the actual pipe intact. A cat is essentually a dense series of screens that get very hot and burn the gases before they are expelled out of the exhaust. The problem is these screens restrict rate of flow through them. By taking a bar and a hammer and punching the screens out, you eliminate the restrictions it causes.
Old May 24th, 2005, 10:17 AM   #17
indoctidiscant

having done what i posted in my first mod, i can say the following

car sounds more agressive, but still doesnt have the rumble that im looking for, im guessing i would need to get axleback mufflers for that, im thinking dynomax ultraflows.

the car is a lot more responsive IF geared properly, i noticed that using my butt dyno only. if geared wrong the car seems to bog even though its not that evident to the unfamiliar driver.

6th gear is now dope.. yesterday the car surprised me in the 80-110 roll when i passed a line of cars, it sped up real quickly and shocked me.

dyno hopefully this weekend down at alteredatmosphere.
Old May 24th, 2005, 08:48 PM   #18
pch
1quick240

okay, i got it. I thought for a moment you were going to beat the living [email protected] out of it, lol. Do you think those are hard to remove? I was thinking of maybe replacing those with high flow ones or just replacing them with pipping and making holes for the sensors. What do you think? I know about those screens, i just took of my 3rd cat and replace it with 2 1/2 inch pipping. When he gave me the cat, i saw how restrictive it was. And man, it sure does weigh a lot. I saw an improvement on the top end and my exhaust sounds meaner.

Last edited by pch; May 24th, 2005 at 08:54 PM..
Old May 25th, 2005, 07:20 AM   #19
Nothing special

They dont make high flow cats to replace the 2 precats coming off the engine (that I know of). Getting custom downpipes would work fine...but you are going to throw an error code due to the o2 sensors reading a cat malfunction. If you get an estimate on getting down pipes made, PM me- I may be interested in doing the same depending on price.
Old May 25th, 2005, 07:34 AM   #20
indoctidiscant

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu6speed
They dont make high flow cats to replace the 2 precats coming off the engine (that I know of). Getting custom downpipes would work fine...but you are going to throw an error code due to the o2 sensors reading a cat malfunction. If you get an estimate on getting down pipes made, PM me- I may be interested in doing the same depending on price.
by downpipe you mean flex pipe down? or you mean headers down (includes 1st and 2nd cat)?
Old May 25th, 2005, 02:37 PM   #21
pch
1quick240

downpipe to replace the two precats that are in the engine bay. i was just going to buy the one from ebay and try to stick them on there. they said it replaces stock cats, and i made sure of that. but i don't know how reliable they are. but what is 60 bucks to see if some things works or not. i guess trial and error is my way of finding out if somethings works or not. I will go and get a quote though sometime soon.
Old May 25th, 2005, 03:12 PM   #22
indoctidiscant

the ebay one replaces the 3rd cat. not the ones that are integrated into our headers.
Old May 25th, 2005, 07:04 PM   #23
pch
1quick240

oh okay, so that means i am going to go see what they would charge me to replace them with pipes and make holes in them or the o2 sensors.
Old May 25th, 2005, 07:20 PM   #24
indoctidiscant

you do know your still going to throw off CELs and retard your ecu into running some wack sort of mixture because your cat sensors will read the PRE- Cat gases.
Old May 25th, 2005, 08:06 PM   #25
indoctidiscant

hmm i dont think the 3rd cat weight a lot at all, maybe 3-4 lbs? the premuffler weighs about 10 lbs in itself.

you would be best off taking a 3 inch piper which welds into a 2.5 pipe into a 2.25 pipe which flows straight through mufflers (that are straight through).
Old May 26th, 2005, 09:51 AM   #26
Nothing special

I could def tell when I removed the third cat...it made a real difference in power.The third cat does not have an o2 sensor after it, so no codes are thrown

Removing the two precats would throw a cell, but that cell is only that the cats are malfunctioning (cause they are gone). That would not cause the engine to retard timing. The o2 sensors right next to the engine block are the only ones capable of adjusting anything with the engine. The sensors after the 2 precats only measure cat efficiency.

I would love a set of test pipes to go in there... If Tman got 8hp from removing just one, imagine what removing 2 more would do- not to mention their proximity to the engine block restricts exhaust right out of the engine. Screw the hippies, burn the ozone, I want more HP! LOL
Old May 26th, 2005, 10:03 AM   #27
indoctidiscant

now your starting to make me think. maybe i should remove the 1st and 2nd cats, and have a bolt on jpipe fabricated. and come emission time have the cats replaced.

however what tman did is also very interesting, he did a oxygen masking something or the other whatchamacallit..

hmm..
Old May 26th, 2005, 10:41 AM   #28
indoctidiscant

hunh?
Old May 26th, 2005, 12:21 PM   #29
Your Mom Drives a Honda

Send a message via AIM to smokin6speed
where do people go to get that cat removed...my exhaust shop wont touch the cat....it has to be fixed replaced at the dealer but they wont remove it....
smokin6speed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 26th, 2005, 12:34 PM   #30
indoctidiscant

you gotta find a downlow exhaust shop where the guy has no qualms about doign stuff that will make it illegal.

no meineke/midas or whatever chain store will touch it, independent backyard muffler stores will.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in