Throttle Body - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 19th, 2005, 01:07 PM   #1
Your Mom Drives a Honda

Send a message via AIM to smokin6speed
Throttle Body

Does anybody know if the throttle body from the TL would fit/work in our cars and if there would be any benefit in doing so...is it any higher performance or is it the same as ours...
smokin6speed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 19th, 2005, 01:32 PM   #2
Biohazard Level 4

I was curious about this so I called ahmotor.com (the people I usually use for OE parts) and asked them. I asked what the bore is on the TL TB and if he knew if there was a chance it might fit the AV6. He said that all he could tell me is if the core number was the same, then the **** I talked to on the phone, for no apparent reason said "I don't have any information on that anyways, you'll have to research that yourself" and strait up slammed the phone down on the hook.

I know the guy by name and never had any problems with them. I don't know why he was being such an ass, but long story short...I don't know if the TL will fit, or if it is even different.
Scubaman3D is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 19th, 2005, 01:44 PM   #3
Tofu Delivery Boy

Send a message via AIM to The_Tofu_Shop
hmmm... i ono. i actually think it might... but im not sure.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Andy 2
SoCal Pride

G-Spec Points: 40
The_Tofu_Shop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old May 19th, 2005, 02:05 PM   #4
Brawn GP > RBR Renault

Probably would benefit more by doing this mod:
http://tsx.acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7917

Drew did it to his car so I know the 7th gens TB's are similar to the TSX's.
I need to do this mod soon because after my car warms up my intake and TB are too HOT to touch.
Old May 19th, 2005, 02:21 PM   #5
Your Mom Drives a Honda

it would be better if that DIY was a little clearer....not really following along...
Old May 19th, 2005, 02:30 PM   #6
Brawn GP > RBR Renault

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokin6speed
it would be better if that DIY was a little clearer....not really following along...
There is a coolant hose that runs through the throttle body, you essentially take off your air intake to expose the TB to give you room to remove the coolant lines. He used crimpers (with the ends wrapped with rubber to prevent the crimpers from damaging the coolant hoses) to prevent the coolant from leaking out all over the place. Then he bought a tube ("5/16" fitting") that will connect the 2 lines together so that the coolant can flow without being connected to the TB. He also bought a cap to cover the now exposed coolant holes on the TB.

Doing this reduces intake and TB temperatures dramatically.
I would not do this if I lived in a area that is often freezing cold though.

Last edited by drkangel348; May 19th, 2005 at 02:38 PM..
drkangel348 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 19th, 2005, 03:43 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by drkangel348
There is a coolant hose that runs through the throttle body, you essentially take off your air intake to expose the TB to give you room to remove the coolant lines. He used crimpers (with the ends wrapped with rubber to prevent the crimpers from damaging the coolant hoses) to prevent the coolant from leaking out all over the place. Then he bought a tube ("5/16" fitting") that will connect the 2 lines together so that the coolant can flow without being connected to the TB. He also bought a cap to cover the now exposed coolant holes on the TB.

Doing this reduces intake and TB temperatures dramatically.
I would not do this if I lived in a area that is often freezing cold though.
I don't get it, the air going past this short length opening into the intake plenum is going very very fast through here. Anyone know exactly how fast? I'm guessing 15-25fps. One particle of air is not going to notice a dramatic (if any) deltaT as it zooms past this area and into your combustion chamber, which is already explosively hot. I think this is a pretty useless mod just like the TB spacer. I remember when these were necessary for CiTV's, where it would use the coolant to adjust the TB bypass at idle. Bypassing that made the car idle like it was always colder than it truely was (high and rich), until the engine bay fully warmed up. You got gains from burning extra fuel while the car was cold/warming. And good luck spending 60 clams on a dyno to try to prove the 1-2HP increase claimed. The margin of error between back to back runs is almost the same (even if you could dispell heatsoak), but I doubt the 2HP is worth the potential detrimental effects down the road, pulling the hoses off your TB might cause. Who knows what sensors read signals from the temperature going through there? Potential trade off doesn't seem worth it.

Just my 2 cents.

J
Jinx32 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 19th, 2005, 05:06 PM   #8
Brawn GP > RBR Renault

Numbers don't lie, the heat from the TB will dissipate to the intake manifold and your CAI (if installed). There are gains if you drop intake temperatures:

http://www.hondata.com/heatshieldgasket.html
http://www.hondata.com/dynoh22agasket.html

There are also dynos from TSX owners that prove this. This mod is not useless.
Old May 19th, 2005, 05:22 PM   #9
Tofu Delivery Boy

Send a message via AIM to The_Tofu_Shop
kurts right, temperature is so essential inside the engines. Cooler air is more dense, which means you can burn off more of it. Thats the idea of a Cold Air Intake, or the idea why before going on the track, people ice their Intake Manifolds and their Intakes. Every little bit helps. as un-realistic as it seems.

Andy 2
SoCal Pride

G-Spec Points: 40
The_Tofu_Shop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 19th, 2005, 07:00 PM   #10
Your Mom Drives a Honda

as great as this info is and has got my mind going full speed to do another DIY mod i still am wondering if the TL or TSX throttle body would fit/benefit our car...and then once that was installed if it is possible/beneficial...then also do the coolant hose mod....
Old May 19th, 2005, 07:29 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Tofu_Shop
kurts right, temperature is so essential inside the engines. Cooler air is more dense, which means you can burn off more of it. Thats the idea of a Cold Air Intake, or the idea why before going on the track, people ice their Intake Manifolds and their Intakes. Every little bit helps. as un-realistic as it seems.

OK. I'll cap mine off this weekend then. But a question, why do they even have this coolant line running through the TB if there is no thermovalve inside anymore?

J

Last edited by Jinx32; May 20th, 2005 at 09:31 AM..
Jinx32 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 20th, 2005, 03:37 PM   #12

I guess so they don't have to worry about it freezing at WOT and some old lady in wisconsin kills a busload of kids or something
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 23rd, 2005, 06:46 AM   #13
Nothing special

Send a message via AIM to blu6speed
This is such a worth while mod! I read this post and decided to give it a whirl. Both the inlet and the outlet can be found directly on the bottom of the TB. I went to autozone and picked up a brass connector, 2 hose clamps, and 2 hose caps- total bill was about $5. Dont get in your car and anticipate a change. The power increase occurs once the engine is hot- say on a long drive (over 20 mins). I ran about 140 miles up an interstate and could really tell the difference when I was passing. I forgot that I had the AC on! I turned that off and I could really tell at that point. I carefully monitor my engine temp constantly, and my car actually seems to be running cooler than before. Guess what that means, more mpg. Running the AC, doing 80-85 the entire way I averaged 30.8mpg according my navi. On the drive home (another 140 miles) I had the AC off. This time I averaged 34.4 mpg!! Before it would have been about 25 mpg with AC, 32 with out. I will change the mod back once winter comes back around, I dont want to have my throttle sticking due to a frozen TB. This is such an easy DIY mod, and its one I recommend to everyone.
Old May 23rd, 2005, 12:19 PM   #14

Honda heats the throttle assy. to improve cold weather driveability, to lessen exhaust emissions on a cold engine & during warm up. It is not likely that the throttle would stick although it is a definite possibilty under certain conditions of temp & humidity. It would have been nice for Honda to put in an PCM controlled valve to add heat as required but that would have added complexity/COST to their family car. I think I will look for a manually controlled valve to put inline. One that when open allows coolant to flow thru the throttle assy. and when closed will bypass the coolant to the engine. On a car with a cold intake, AEM etc. this should make even more of a change especially for those of use that normally drive in 90-115 degree temps in the summer.

TIM
never stock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 23rd, 2005, 12:56 PM   #15
D a r k s i d e

Send a message via AIM to ohheyitsjon
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokin6speed
as great as this info is and has got my mind going full speed to do another DIY mod i still am wondering if the TL or TSX throttle body would fit/benefit our car...and then once that was installed if it is possible/beneficial...then also do the coolant hose mod....

lets get back on topic here guys!
ohheyitsjon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 23rd, 2005, 02:23 PM   #16
I AM LOST....

Send a message via AIM to brex
Quote:
Originally Posted by drkangel348
Numbers don't lie, the heat from the TB will dissipate to the intake manifold and your CAI (if installed). There are gains if you drop intake temperatures:

http://www.hondata.com/heatshieldgasket.html
http://www.hondata.com/dynoh22agasket.html

There are also dynos from TSX owners that prove this. This mod is not useless.
I once heard this mod is illeagle because it effects the emmission.. ??
brex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 23rd, 2005, 02:38 PM   #17
Nothing special

HAHA If a cop can look under my hood and figure out "hey this guy has the coolant lines to his throttle body disconnected, thats an emmissions violation" Ill take the ticket and pay it with a smile!

edit: the above is a joke, Im not being a Dic lol
blu6speed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 25th, 2005, 09:25 AM   #18
LiL D33z33

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu6speed
This is such a worth while mod! I read this post and decided to give it a whirl. Both the inlet and the outlet can be found directly on the bottom of the TB. I went to autozone and picked up a brass connector, 2 hose clamps, and 2 hose caps- total bill was about $5. Dont get in your car and anticipate a change. The power increase occurs once the engine is hot- say on a long drive (over 20 mins). I ran about 140 miles up an interstate and could really tell the difference when I was passing. I forgot that I had the AC on! I turned that off and I could really tell at that point. I carefully monitor my engine temp constantly, and my car actually seems to be running cooler than before. Guess what that means, more mpg. Running the AC, doing 80-85 the entire way I averaged 30.8mpg according my navi. On the drive home (another 140 miles) I had the AC off. This time I averaged 34.4 mpg!! Before it would have been about 25 mpg with AC, 32 with out. I will change the mod back once winter comes back around, I dont want to have my throttle sticking due to a frozen TB. This is such an easy DIY mod, and its one I recommend to everyone.
Damn dog i get like 27 mpg in my auto with no ac, and driving like grandma. HTF u get such good milage going 85?
DeezV604 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 25th, 2005, 10:02 AM   #19
Nothing special

6-speed !

Its prob the difference in the gearing between the manual and the auto. If I am driving around town, I average 29-30mpg (Shifting at 2900-3100)
blu6speed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in