Need ideas on exhaust - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 15th, 2005, 11:39 AM   #1

Need ideas on exhaust

Im lookin for a nice not to expenisve exhaust. no more then $950. Im staying away from that whole rice sound if u know what im getting at. Something deep and not loud. i saw the borla system and it looked pretty nice but i didnt see any reviews on its noise output. cat-back is what im primarily looking for. thnx for the help. Also, hp is not a primary concern here. I dont want to loose any but i dont need to gain signifigant hp. Seeing how i like the borla exhaust maybe u guys can get a clue at the style im looking for. i dont want huge asssssss mufflers.
Jackthewack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 15th, 2005, 12:23 PM   #2
I feel da need 4 6-speeds

Send a message via ICQ to flyvtec Send a message via AIM to flyvtec Send a message via Yahoo to flyvtec
Dude...there is sticky on exhaust comparison for the 7th gen...I have the Comptech catback exhaust and it sounds/looks beautiful! But it set me back $1100 including install. With the Comptech matched up with the AEM V2...there are drives when I don't even turn my stereo on because I love listening to the sound they make.

flyvtec is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 15th, 2005, 12:36 PM   #3
_

^^^looks good.

jack, for the price you said you could be a baller and get the greddy or maybe even the comptech. for half the price you can get then tanabe or borla. they are all fairly similar, since you are basing it on looks, i would just start looking at pics of exhausts until you are convinced.

off topic a little...

does anyone know the design of the s200 mufflers well. they got something going on under there and i was thinking about using those mufflers and tips with custom piping. anyone know if they are much less restrictive?
0430Steve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old June 15th, 2005, 01:35 PM   #4
wj4

wow, that comptech looks pretty similar to the tanabe system. here is my borla catback..love the sound..not too loud but its noticeable. got it for $580shipped during an xmas sale at performance center.com
imo if youre going to spend $1,000+...i would go a custom true dual set up. ps yeah yeah i know the right exhaust is a bit off centered
wj4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 15th, 2005, 02:01 PM   #5
Wheelgap = sleeper mod

I'm gettin' the Borla when the time comes. I honestly think all/most of the aftermarket exhaust systems make similar power, and while I think the Comptech looks a bit better aesthetically, I'd rather save $500 and put it towards a SAFC2 and a tune. More bang for your buck IMO. That's just me though. That Borla does look nice!
Syracuse Orange 15-0, #1 AP/ESPN/USA
mbr311 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 15th, 2005, 06:45 PM   #6

cant u just install them yourself
Old June 15th, 2005, 09:40 PM   #7
oSCaR

from what ive heard IN PERSON... greddy has the best sound
heres a pic of the car i heard it on, i think his name might be rob...

that pic is from the irvine meet but when i actually got to hear it was last sunday (at the june12 so cal reopening meet at cerritos) when he was leaving you have to hear it for yourself...
v6_ccord_2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 15th, 2005, 10:11 PM   #8
wj4

the greddy sounds ok imo...but for that price, u can do true dual exhaust like sick6speed (drew) and see real gains. as far as catbacks...theyre is little gain..probably around 3hp, i bought it for the tone and the look lol.
Old June 16th, 2005, 12:00 AM   #9

Send a message via ICQ to flyvtec Send a message via AIM to flyvtec Send a message via Yahoo to flyvtec
I dyno'd with 91 octane, stock intake and Comptech exhaust and got 216whp/187wtq (260hp/225tq). So I think I got a few more ponies with the exhaust. I think the GReddy Evo is a nice exhaust but I'm not too fond of how the mufflers look.

When choosing exhausts, you also need to understand that the noise level inside the cabin will also increase...some more than others.

Exhaust vid clips of my Comptech can be seen/heard here:

www.salominojr.neptune.com

password: comptechvid

Good luck with your selection...$950 will get you some really nice catbacks.
Old June 16th, 2005, 12:35 AM   #10

with true duals is the exhaust note really loud? what if i keep my stock mufflers and just change the pipes to true duals?
kwanzor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 16th, 2005, 02:21 AM   #11
wj4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwanzor
with true duals is the exhaust note really loud? what if i keep my stock mufflers and just change the pipes to true duals?
no one has done that yet. i know drew and brex got true duals. both cars are quite loud...brex has the hammerjack mufflers while drew has the tanabe exhaust.

flyvtec..u really dyno'd that high? was this on a dynojet or other system? im quite impressed with ur number
Old June 16th, 2005, 09:08 AM   #12
oSCaR

^^ ^^

ive heard drews, and he wasnt even FLOORING it...
v6_ccord_2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 16th, 2005, 11:51 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by wj4
no one has done that yet. i know drew and brex got true duals. both cars are quite loud...brex has the hammerjack mufflers while drew has the tanabe exhaust.

flyvtec..u really dyno'd that high? was this on a dynojet or other system? im quite impressed with ur number
yup...4th gear, 91 octane, dyno dynamometer, 2 runs - here's the chart:

Old June 16th, 2005, 12:06 PM   #14
Wheelgap = sleeper mod

God, that dyno chart makes me so happy. Makes me want to jump on a dyno and see what numbers I produce with just a CAI. I mean, I figure the CAI has got to make more power than a catback exhaust system, right? Well, you can't compare dyno's to dyno's so...but regardless, looks like an exhaust investment on my part will be well worth it!

BTW, the way I see it, if you take 15% drivetrain loss, you're making 257.5hp at the crank and 219.65 torque at the crank.

That's amazing really, that an exhaust essentially picked you up 7 whp and 11wtq (if you go by the assumption that 91 octane does give you 10whp). Damn!

Last edited by mbr311; June 16th, 2005 at 12:08 PM..
Old June 16th, 2005, 12:33 PM   #15

The dyno guy told me we lose 17% at the wheels so 224/83% = 270. If 15% my math is 224/85% = 264. Either way...there are a few gains realized with just exhaust only or intake only or both.

I would guess that the CAI will provide more gains than the exhaust. I check Comptech's dyno chart with just exhaust and they got 16 whp gain! We've already beaten to death dyno numbers in this forum so I'm not even going to go there again!

Tell you what tho...I definitely have to hold the steering wheel a lot tighter because you can really feel the power through the front wheels now.
Old June 16th, 2005, 01:56 PM   #16
wj4

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyvtec
The dyno guy told me we lose 17% at the wheels so 224/83% = 270. If 15% my math is 224/85% = 264. Either way...there are a few gains realized with just exhaust only or intake only or both.

I would guess that the CAI will provide more gains than the exhaust. I check Comptech's dyno chart with just exhaust and they got 16 whp gain! We've already beaten to death dyno numbers in this forum so I'm not even going to go there again!

Tell you what tho...I definitely have to hold the steering wheel a lot tighter because you can really feel the power through the front wheels now.
wow, i was actually close. hehe. i always presume to take 20% away from the crank to ge the whp number.
Old June 16th, 2005, 02:15 PM   #17
Wheelgap = sleeper mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyvtec

I hope the Borla exhaust gives similar gains to the Comptech exhaust. I don't feel like paying that much for the Comptech to be honest with you, just my opininon of course. I'd rather have the Comptech, but I figure if I can get the Borla for $600 then I could get a SAFC2 and tune with the savings. I'm always looking for shortcuts when it comes to mods because if I buy a mod, my wife gets to buy an expensive purse or piece of jewlery Double my mod money dammit!
Old June 16th, 2005, 02:28 PM   #18
_

power loss percentages are different for manaul and auto, i know you know that, you're pretty much talking about 6spds though. autos won't see those numbers as easily.

flyvtec, you said you have to hold the wheel tighter cause of the extra power from the exhaust? did i read that right? is there that much more power, would that be torque? when do you feel it most? during the torque steer of the vtec engagement, off the line, all the time?
0430Steve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 16th, 2005, 02:32 PM   #19
Wheelgap = sleeper mod

I felt the difference with just the CAI, especially when I launch hard on the street. To me, the low and mid range torque was so much better than when I was stock. If an exhaust nets as much power as a CAI, I can see the same result. Though I don't notice myself gripping on the wheel any harder to be hoenst with you
Old June 16th, 2005, 02:51 PM   #20

Well...a week after I got my V2 installed, I was turning right into the main street near my place and floored it...next thing I know I'm feeling the spinning tire sensation and my car feels like it's fish tailing! So I'm like "whoa!" And this was with traction control off. Was the main reason why I switched tires from Kumhos to Avons.

But yeah...I feel it only during hard launches offline. After the car gets going though...hold on cuz it's 'FLYVTEC' time!!! Top end is crazy now...
Old June 16th, 2005, 03:15 PM   #21
wj4

i made a vid clip of my borla but it didnt come out according to plan lol. i basically just put my camcorder on a small tripod and left it on while i revved the car. maybe ill try it later at night or another time that my friend is free to film it.
Old June 16th, 2005, 06:00 PM   #22

I have a clip of mine...It's comptech mufflers, Comptech 4" Tips with custon 2.5" SS Cat-Back piping. It also has a 16" magnaflow resonator.

CLIPS:

Video Clip of Custom Exhaust w/ AEM CAI

Video Clip of Custom Exhaust w/ Stock Intake
GoBig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 20th, 2005, 08:32 AM   #23

The borla is lookin pretty good, considering its price, and the tips look pretty close to stock. Do they all look uneven like Wj4's pic up top. Or is that just bad install...?? if they all are like that then n/m. Also it sounds not too loud? but u can hear it... Yeah!! thats good thats what an exhaust should be like.
Old June 20th, 2005, 08:42 AM   #24
Wheelgap = sleeper mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackthewack
The borla is lookin pretty good, considering its price, and the tips look pretty close to stock. Do they all look uneven like Wj4's pic up top. Or is that just bad install...?? if they all are like that then n/m. Also it sounds not too loud? but u can hear it... Yeah!! thats good thats what an exhaust should be like.
How much have you found the Borla for out of curiosity?
Old June 20th, 2005, 08:45 AM   #25

alittle over 600 i believe
Old June 20th, 2005, 09:00 AM   #26

n/m its $549.99 w/ free shipping! thats a good deal i would think. the link is http://www.gforceautosports.com/borla%20accord.htm

gforceautosports.com
Old June 20th, 2005, 09:20 AM   #27
Wheelgap = sleeper mod

Damn, that's a really good price for an exhaust. Too bad I just got the HFP bodykit - gotta wait a few more months to get an exhaust, but that's a great deal. Thanks for the heads up!
Old June 20th, 2005, 10:03 AM   #28

I need sound clips of the borla if any one can find them. there was a post on here with the clips but the never worked for me dunno why, im pissed cause i wanted to get to hear them becuase i believe buying an exhaust is 80% look and sound.
Old June 20th, 2005, 10:16 AM   #29
Die-Hard Enthusiast!!

Send a message via AIM to Sick6speed Send a message via Yahoo to Sick6speed
True duals and Tanabe mufflers are the way to go IMHO!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
818 Weekly Meet&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">
Sick6speed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 20th, 2005, 11:20 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick6speed
True duals and Tanabe mufflers are the way to go IMHO!!
how much would that set me back ^^^^^^^^ what kinda hp increase would i be looking at with custom pipes compared to those of manufactured pipes such ass tanabe or borla or comptech. Im not lookin for massive hp increase or the "best" exhaust. The borla seems to fit my needs, nothing flashy little hp increase, cheap compared to the rest. Cause the difference between most of them is just the name besides maybe 5 hp differences. how much would u guys say custom pipping cat/back and comptech mufflers be? Im staying cat/back im not intreasted in the smells of my car.....lol I seem to be better off with the borla, i just need a sound clip.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in