Does AC take that much power away? - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 14th, 2005, 05:40 AM   #1

Does AC take that much power away?

I was on the highway yesterday morning going to work, and a 7th gen I4 coupe comes up fairly fast. I catch up to him, then on a straight we both punch it. He was pulling away ever so slightly. I had my climate control set on auto and I think it had the AC going.

I've got a 05' AV6 Sedan always using 91 octane.
distinctjay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 14th, 2005, 08:45 AM   #2
Smooth as Silk

Send a message via AIM to dymondawg
As a member on this board is so cleverly named, sumptimwong... AC does not take THAT much power away that you can't outrun a 4cyl
dymondawg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 14th, 2005, 09:05 AM   #3
Nothing special

Send a message via AIM to blu6speed
Agreed, it does suck power like crazy, but there is no way u should loose to a 4-banger..unless you stayed in 6th and he downshifted lol. Your car should also turn the a/c compressor off if you go WOT.

The other thought is that it was a v6, just modified to a single exhaust. Never know!
blu6speed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old July 14th, 2005, 10:01 AM   #4
From J30A to 4g63

Send a message via AIM to 0Tolerance Send a message via MSN to 0Tolerance Send a message via Yahoo to 0Tolerance Send a message via Skype™ to 0Tolerance
I see a problem here too........I just posted a thread about a run against an I4 sedan, and i didnt have the AC on, but the amount i beat him by was huge toward the end. I cannot see the AC bogging the car down THAT bad to have an I4 not only pull ahead but even stay close to next to you? I could agree blu6speed, alot of V6'ers now put single exhaust on their coupes. Now the AC does screw with 4 cyl engines....i had a 99 civic before and the AC would make that thing go in reverse!
0Tolerance is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 14th, 2005, 12:45 PM   #5
Biohazard Level 4

The bigger question for me is weather the AC decreases your miles per gallon a lot. Some people say that the drag introduced to the car by driving with your windows open decreases your milage by about the same ammount as AC. I don't know if I believe them though...

Anybody know by how much the miles/gallon goes down with AC?
Scubaman3D is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 14th, 2005, 02:30 PM   #6

yeah, I have a 4 cylinder...and when I am on the freeway cruisin and hit the A/C...the car immedaitely feels like I just magically picked up 100 pounds of weight in my trunk

but as far as gas mileage goes though...it is generally said that A/C kills your mileage by 5-6%...but for engine POWER scale....I do not know...
Wht2kAccord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 14th, 2005, 02:35 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubaman3D
The bigger question for me is weather the AC decreases your miles per gallon a lot. Some people say that the drag introduced to the car by driving with your windows open decreases your milage by about the same ammount as AC. I don't know if I believe them though...

I had the same question. I have a long commute, so I have to fill up every week. I ran my car for a week without AC and then for a week with. There was no noticeable difference. Both times was around 390 miles on ~14gal.

I do notice a very slight reduction in power when the AC kicks on, but it's negligible. Especially compared to my 88 Accord Lxi, which felt like it dropped a boat anchor out the back when the compressor kicked on!
Honcho is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 14th, 2005, 05:16 PM   #8
St. Louis!

I can feel the engine bog up when it kicks on, but not on the highway when i punch it. It's fine then.
Kingof3rdinput is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 14th, 2005, 06:49 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wht2kAccord
yeah, I have a 4 cylinder...and when I am on the freeway cruisin and hit the A/C...the car immedaitely feels like I just magically picked up 100 pounds of weight in my trunk
ditto in my i4 coupe
Raddy21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 14th, 2005, 08:23 PM   #10
registered n00b

Send a message via AIM to sumptimwong
interesting, i never noticed such a huge diff on my i4, esp at highway speeds.

so i figure that the compressor puts a constant load on the engine. on the freeway, im usually around 2900rpm in 5th. the load vs output at 2900 shouldnt be as noticeable as load vs 1500rpm on the streets. flaws in this logic?

in any case distinctjay, how in the world did you get outrun?? hahah, sumptim wong with dat ;D

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- wong
sumptimwong is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 20th, 2005, 06:24 PM   #11

AC compressor puts heavy load on the engine (or electric system grid at home) at the beginning of the cycle (at home it could be 1/4 of the whole cycle) in the car that varies. After reaching difference in pressure there is much much less power consumed, any AC system is closed loop. Probably the best it would be to run AC continually not letting compressor but continues 50F is kind of chilly
enough torque should take care of that ....
tlak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 20th, 2005, 07:16 PM   #12

i ran against my boys 350z auto, kept up with him and he maybe had a car on me by the end....then i realized i had my a/c on and wondered if it woulda been a different story if it was off.
blkcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 20th, 2005, 10:19 PM   #13
To lazy to give a f**k

My dad, an auto mechanic, told me the compressor turns off when you floor it to a certain point, so that means it shouldn't take anything away.
dandaman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 20th, 2005, 10:45 PM   #14
Honda/Acura Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Plumaccordcoupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandaman
My dad, an auto mechanic, told me the compressor turns off when you floor it to a certain point, so that means it shouldn't take anything away.
It will only shut off near the higher rpms so it will still reduce power output until the A/C compressor finally shuts off. So if you need every ounce of power from your engine for specific moments, you should shut off the A/C yourself.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Senior Moderator and Florida Co-Moderator

If you have any questions or need to report something, either PM me or if I am online, IM me.

July Calendar:
Plumaccordcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 20th, 2005, 10:48 PM   #15
Formerly VTEC-v6!

Big Alternator + Electric PS + Electric AC = Ownage
N54TT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 20th, 2005, 11:00 PM   #16
Honda/Acura Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTEC-v6!
Big Alternator + Electric PS + Electric AC = Ownage
Honda has something close to that in the AV6 Hybrid.

Regular alternator + EPS + hybrid twin scroll AC compressor + IMA motor = Ownage

Old July 21st, 2005, 01:28 PM   #17
14.58 =Quickest Gen7 auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumaccordcoupe
It will only shut off near the higher rpms so it will still reduce power output until the A/C compressor finally shuts off.
I don't know for sure, but I'm pretty sure that the compressor cut-out is based on throttle position, not rpm. In other words, you don't need to be at a "high" rpm for the compressor to cut out, just be under heavy throttle. I think it'll cut out when you floor it even if you're only at 2 or 3 thousand rpm.
03LXV6Guy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 21st, 2005, 01:43 PM   #18
7th Gen ACcord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wht2kAccord

but as far as gas mileage goes though...it is generally said that A/C kills your mileage by 5-6%...but for engine POWER scale....I do not know...
same here. i can really feel it when going up hill. 4banger sucks.
xjdMb16a2six is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 21st, 2005, 05:43 PM   #19
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03LXV6Guy
I don't know for sure, but I'm pretty sure that the compressor cut-out is based on throttle position, not rpm. In other words, you don't need to be at a "high" rpm for the compressor to cut out, just be under heavy throttle. I think it'll cut out when you floor it even if you're only at 2 or 3 thousand rpm.

if you floor it why would you be at 3K RPM ?

when i floor my car it reves so quicly in first gear that it hits the rev limiter
Lxcord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 21st, 2005, 05:58 PM   #20
Honda/Acura Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03LXV6Guy
There is possibility that it could be based on throttle position. But regardless of what shuts it off, I still shut off the AC manually whenever I've needed every ounce of power out of my engine (special occasions ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lxcord
If it does work the way he says it does, the second the system senses the throttle at 100% it will shut off the AC compressor to reduce load on the engine.

Old July 21st, 2005, 09:15 PM   #21
oSCaR

what a coincidence... on the way back from work today i was bored... on cruise-control at like 90mph... and i remembered a thread about the AC and powerloss (not this thread, a similar one) and i was toying w/ the A/C to see if i noticed, and i could BARELY notice it start lagging...
v6_ccord_2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 22nd, 2005, 08:06 AM   #22
14.58 =Quickest Gen7 auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lxcord

when i floor my car it reves so quicly in first gear that it hits the rev limiter
Try 2nd gear then!
03LXV6Guy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 22nd, 2005, 10:14 PM   #23
the tooth

i don't notice that much power loss on my i4 5 spd manual either. It's not an accurate form of measurement by any means but i timed my 40-70mph with a stop watch with and without AC on the fwy with 2nd gear takeoff and the difference was only .3 seconds. Maybe the auto folks have different results but i saw minimal lag.
Timmy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 22nd, 2005, 10:21 PM   #24
registered n00b

^ i copy that. i tried various rates of acceleration, from different speeds, at constant speeds, but the compressor didnt have a noticeable draw.

the only time you can feel it is when the compressor first kicks on, but i doubt that its because it puts a significant load on the engine. its probably more related to a poorly engineered clutch assembly in the compressor.

- wong
Old July 22nd, 2005, 10:31 PM   #25
Honda/Acura Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumptimwong
^ i copy that. i tried various rates of acceleration, from different speeds, at constant speeds, but the compressor didnt have a noticeable draw.

the only time you can feel it is when the compressor first kicks on, but i doubt that its because it puts a significant load on the engine.
You have a K24 under the hood which makes far more low end torque than the 6th gen AV6. My friends 2000 TL with 5 people in the car and the AC on has more pull than my AV6 with just me and the AC on .

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumptimwong
its probably more related to a poorly engineered clutch assembly in the compressor.
I doubt it. The AC wouldn't work very well if that was the case.

Old July 23rd, 2005, 01:55 AM   #26
registered n00b

well, not necessarily. if its got a funky clutch, all that means is that when it first kicks on, it abruptly puts a load on the engine. after its engaged, then all should be well!

youre right though, i think this ac discussion really comes down to the specifics of the vehicle in question. i can only speak for the k24 with 5sp in a 3000lb car. but for my car, i know it doesnt make a noticeable diff! no idea about the 7gen av6 (or maybe i just didnt read careful enough)

- wong
Old July 23rd, 2005, 08:28 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubaman3D

Myth Busters did a show on this. The A/C is much harsher on MPG. on the show, they had a SUV (forgot which one) and they were able to run 50 more miles with the window open.
240hpaccord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 24th, 2005, 02:05 AM   #28
registered n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240hpaccord
Myth Busters did a show on this. The A/C is much harsher on MPG. on the show, they had a SUV (forgot which one) and they were able to run 50 more miles with the window open.
incidentally, my friend just told me about that myth busters episode an hour or two ago lol

- wong
Old July 24th, 2005, 09:43 PM   #29
Honda/Acura Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240hpaccord
I've questioned the way they did that test. They put SUV's on a track. In a big SUV, your not going fast enough to where drag would have had a great effect on the SUV. I've noticed the exact opposite in my car at highway speeds (I log my MPG on every tank of gas), so I'll stick with my current cooling setup (AC on and windows up).

Old July 25th, 2005, 09:17 AM   #30
Big Aluminum Rear Wing

They were running in Ford Exploders....I thought it was hillarious that the safety tech wouldn't let them run at more than 40mph for fear that the tires would blow and the rigs would roll! Anyway, I agree, at 40mph, the drag from the windows will be minimal.
copetecu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in