Resonator - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 25th, 2005, 12:17 PM   #1
Big Aluminum Rear Wing

Resonator

Just removed my resonator assembly from the airbox down. HUGE improvement in throttle response and decent improvement in sound. Does anyone else think that that thing is exceptionally bizzare looking? What's with the noodley thing? Is that just to silence the sucking sound?
copetecu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 25th, 2005, 12:27 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Accord_V6_400m
Quote:
Originally Posted by copetecu
Just removed my resonator assembly from the airbox down. HUGE improvement in throttle response and decent improvement in sound. Does anyone else think that that thing is exceptionally bizzare looking? What's with the noodley thing? Is that just to silence the sucking sound?
Well when I removed mine off of my 6th gen Accord and replaced it with ducting (for my ram air set-up) it now makes this humming sound. So the resonator I believe is supposed to get rid of any annoying sounds stock, so that more people would want to buy it.
Accord_V6_400m is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 27th, 2005, 09:03 AM   #3

The resonance chambers are there to create pressure waves that help fill the combustion chambers at low RPMs. They don't usually affect high RPM power, but increase low RPM torque.
SlvrBllt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old July 27th, 2005, 09:59 AM   #4
Big Aluminum Rear Wing

That's what a resonance intake manifold (on porsches and the nsx) does but I don't think the plastic box can passively create anything...Anyone else?
Old July 27th, 2005, 12:17 PM   #5

Quote:
That's what a resonance intake manifold (on porsches and the nsx) does but I don't think the plastic box can passively create anything...Anyone else?
Go look at a 1st gen Miata. They have two of these chambers in the plastic intake system- one before the air filter/box, and one about halfway to the throttle body. There are dynos that show a power loss when they are removed.
Old July 27th, 2005, 01:01 PM   #6
14.58 =Quickest Gen7 auto

Quote:
I agree. The resonator in the intake assembly is there to minimize/cancel out some of the intake noises that Honda believes most of their Accord buyers don't want to hear.
03LXV6Guy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 28th, 2005, 12:57 PM   #7

Tuned intake tracts are not exclusive to Honda. Many manufacturers use them to fine tune the power band, or smooth out idiosyncrasies in a specific engine. If they simply wanted to quieten the engine down, they would install a thicker/denser filter.
Old July 28th, 2005, 07:30 PM   #8

Everytime i take that tube off that is by my car's battery my car has trouble starting...So if i took off the resonator i would be screwed...Does it not screw up the air flow of the car with it off??
00Accord4cyl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 28th, 2005, 11:24 PM   #9
Big Aluminum Rear Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlvrBllt
Tuned intake tracts are not exclusive to Honda. Many manufacturers use them to fine tune the power band, or smooth out idiosyncrasies in a specific engine. If they simply wanted to quieten the engine down, they would install a thicker/denser filter.
But then why would removing this whole tuned assembly and replacing it with a simple CAI increase power without changing the power band?
Old July 28th, 2005, 11:43 PM   #10
St. Louis!

Quote:
But then why would removing this whole tuned assembly and replacing it with a simple CAI increase power without changing the power band?
Whole 'nother discussion, i'm afraid. short answer = CAI's can increase power, and drastically change the power band. Depends on the application.
Kingof3rdinput is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 29th, 2005, 07:45 AM   #11

Quote:
The increase in power comes from the less restrictive filter (because it doesn't filter as well). As far as the power band changing, that would be hard to quantify without an engine dyno.
Old July 29th, 2005, 09:34 AM   #12
Big Aluminum Rear Wing

Explanation of resonators:

Resonators

"Note that all of these devices are for noise reduction, rather than intake volumetric efficiency tuning."
Old July 29th, 2005, 10:53 AM   #13
Smooth as Silk

Send a message via AIM to dymondawg
Quote:

Resonators

"Note that all of these devices are for noise reduction, rather than intake volumetric efficiency tuning."

Good find!
dymondawg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 29th, 2005, 10:59 AM   #14

Quote:

Resonators

An absolute statement about a device used for multiple reasons makes me wonder where they found their technical editor.

I don't have time to find the original tech article, but here's a quick thread on the anti-resonance chambers used on the intake of the Miata.

Thread on chambers used to correct power dip

A more detailed explanation- note that when he mentions cancelling resonance, he's not referring to a sound, but rather the actual pressure wave that interferes with the intake air flow.

Quote:
It has to do with the pressure wave created by the intake air that had been flowing smoothly into a cylinder suddenly coming up against a closed intake valve. That pressure wave then runs back through the intake tract and can interfere with the normal flow of air. At a certain RPM, based on the engine displacement and the length and volume of the intake tract, a presure waves will resonate with enough violence to restricting airflow. The (anti)resonance chamber in the stock intake tract absorbs the pressure waves before they cause problems, i.e. at a certain rpm the frequency just vibrates back and forth in the chamber without leaving.

The chamber is basically sized by the volume of one cylinder, the length and volume of the intake runners, and the target rpm to cancel out the worst resonance. Manifold design plays a big part in the effects of and rpm of the resonance but generally speaking, the larger the resonance chamber the lower the rpm responance it will cancel and the smaller the chamber the higher the rpm it will cancel.

It has been dyno proven to provide 4 ft lbs of torque from 3000-4000 rpm over not using one. If you cannot use the OEM piece then use the stand-alone unit from the 90-93

Last edited by SlvrBllt; July 29th, 2005 at 11:06 AM..
Old July 29th, 2005, 11:55 AM   #15

I wish we could get Stevtec to dig up some SAE papers on the Honda resonators, I think that would help us in understanding what the engineers were thinking.
Old July 29th, 2005, 12:18 PM   #16

if I swap the resonator w/ 6spd intake tube, will there be any loss of HP or torque?
herwintan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 29th, 2005, 01:07 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accord_V6_400m
I wish we could get Stevtec to dig up some SAE papers on the Honda resonators, I think that would help us in understanding what the engineers were thinking.
It may be in this case they were used to cancel certain sounds. I just can't imagine this engine making any unpleasant noises on the intake side.
Old July 29th, 2005, 02:02 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlvrBllt
It may be in this case they were used to cancel certain sounds. I just can't imagine this engine making any unpleasant noises on the intake side.
To some people hearing the intake while crusing is not normal to them. On my intake set-up you can change the sound by carying the length of the ducting, but at idle it has a very distinctive humming sound which might annoy some people, just thought I would toss that in there.
Old August 3rd, 2005, 12:28 PM   #19
SeEd RaCeR

Send a message via AIM to elunicolatino5
can someone post pics on how to remove or already removed cuz i dont know wat to remove and i dont know wat to leave there... Thanks
Piaa highbeams
Custom grill
elunicolatino5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 3rd, 2005, 11:42 PM   #20
03 silver v6 6mt

Send a message via MSN to miloaccord Send a message via Yahoo to miloaccord
http://216.210.203.37/cai_ins/
miloaccord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 4th, 2005, 10:23 AM   #21
14.58 =Quickest Gen7 auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by herwintan
if I swap the resonator w/ 6spd intake tube, will there be any loss of HP or torque?
No! No loss at all.

Might even gain a half a horsepower and 2/3'rds of a foot pound.
03LXV6Guy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 9th, 2005, 02:06 PM   #22

Quote:
did you have to remove the bumper?
04blkpearlcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 9th, 2005, 11:49 PM   #23
Why try?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04blkpearlcoupe
did you have to remove the bumper?
yeah you do have to
BlackAccord03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 10th, 2005, 10:41 AM   #24
Big Aluminum Rear Wing

No, I did it through the wheel well, no problems.
Old August 10th, 2005, 10:52 AM   #25

Quote:
No, I did it through the wheel well, no problems.
Any difficulties putting back the wheel well the same way it was before? Like screws not going in the way they're supposed to that kind of stuff?
Old August 10th, 2005, 11:13 AM   #26
Big Aluminum Rear Wing

I think there was only one screw and the rest are brackets. It took about a minute to put back together.
Old August 11th, 2005, 01:38 AM   #27
Why try?

he has an I4, does that matter?
BlackAccord03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in