valve cover gasket question - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD TECHNICAL DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 17th, 2012, 02:41 PM   #1

valve cover gasket question

So I'm planning to change my valve covers gasket this weekend since i notice its leaking a small amount of oil from the grommets. So i don't know if i should buy the gaskets at my local honda dealership or the gasket kit at a auto parts store? I have notice that the dealership only sell the gaskets by its self no grommets or spark plug tube seals. also any suggestions on what other parts i should replace. So far i know for this service i should change the valve cover gaskets, top and bottom intake manifold gaskets,throttle bottle gasket.If there's any other parts i should take in consideration of replacing while my top covers are off please give me your input.Also doing some carb spay cleaning.
Thanks for your time and help
03accord_Ex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 17th, 2012, 03:15 PM   #2

If this is the V6, yes you should remove the electronic throttle-body to clean it. When I ordered the valve cover gaskets from an online Honda dealer they came with the grommets and spark plug tube gaskets. Maybe your dealership is different. Be very careful replacing the valve covers, so as not to damage the spark plug tube gaskets. The rear valve cover can be difficult because the wire harness gets in the way.
BLCKFLSH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 18th, 2012, 02:18 PM   #3

Yea its a v6. I have read that you need a torque wrench for the top bolts is it really needed? Or i can use a regular wrench and be careful not to over torque the bolts?

Old October 18th, 2012, 03:35 PM   #4

I think if you use a small wrench, or a 1/4" drive ratchet, you will have less chance of snapping the heads off the little bolts. Obviously, you don't want to use a 1/2" drive ratchet. There is also a certain sequence you're supposed to use when tightening, but as long as you tighen them in a couple steps, evenly, you should be fine. I would check the bolts again a few days later, just to make sure they are staying tight.
Old October 26th, 2012, 01:33 PM   #5

One more question is it necessary to use silicone on the gaskets of the valve cover to hold it in place?
Old October 26th, 2012, 02:58 PM   #6

A Honda gasket will have little tabs on it, to make the fit tight enough that it will stay in while holding the cover right side up. An aftermarket gasket might not fit so tight. So, if it's a Honda gasket, you don't need gasket sealer. If it's an aftermarket gasket, you might need something to hold it up during installation. just make sure to feel around the cover, and inside the spark plug tubes, to make sure the gaskets are in the right position, before bolting it up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in