ATF Change Help for 4 Cylinder - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD TECHNICAL DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By gwiffer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 18th, 2012, 02:12 AM   #1

ATF Change Help for 4 Cylinder

I did a search, and was wondering if I need to jack up the car, and would like to know how many drain refills are necessary?

I bought a few bottles of HONDA ATF and want to do this change. Car has about 50K on it.
Battery is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 18th, 2012, 06:03 AM   #2

Jacking up the car depends on you. I jack my car up, to get a better view and it's easier for me to reach the drain plug and loosen it (use jack-stands, safety first). Lower the car down, on a level surface, to check the level. How many drain and fills depends on what the drained fluid looks like, and how much metal is on the drain plug magnet. If it's black, and the magnet is totally covered with metal, do it again in the near future. If it's still red, and the magnet is still relatively clean, one drain should be enough. If the magnet is a glob of metal, you might want to change the filter on the next drain and fill.

PS: Make sure you have a funnel/hose rig-up that will work to fill the transmission, BEFORE you drain the old fluid out.
BLCKFLSH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 18th, 2012, 08:18 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLCKFLSH View Post
PS: Make sure you have a funnel/hose rig-up that will work to fill the transmission, BEFORE you drain the old fluid out.
This. On your 4cyl you must refill through your dipstick, you don't have the 17mm fill plug like our V6's do, so you definitely want to make sure you have a small enough funnel and/or tube that will fit in that little hole. Also ensure that your catch pan has measurements on it to determine and refill exactly how much you took out - it's not always 3 QTS! My first one was 3.5 QTS - if you only refill with 3 QTS x 3 drains = a loss of 1.5 QTS in all.

In between drain/fill cycles, you want to ensure that you drive the vehicle through all of the gears of the transmission with the transmission fully at operating temp. I usually do 2 drain/fill cycles in a day, 1 in the morning then 1 in the evening after driving all day, I then wait a week to do the 3rd one.

Your drain plug takes the head of a 3/8" ratchet to remove and I would replace the drain plug washer while you're at it. I replace all of the washers (oil drain, ATF drain, and ATF fill) - it's cheaper security to pay a few bucks then to have a leak and a bigger problem down the road.

G'luck!

'07 EX-L HFP V6 Coupe w/ Navi - "Tawonda"
Graphite Pearl / Black Leather
(Sold 7/26/17)

'17 Touring HFP V6 Coupe - "Bianca"
White Orchid Pearl / Black Ivory Leather
(Purchased 5/18/17)
DreaminAccord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old November 18th, 2012, 10:58 AM   #4

Could you guys give me more info on that refill location? Are you saying the ATF dipstick needs a special funnel?

The drain pug should open w/ the 1/4 ratchet right?

Thanks.
Old November 18th, 2012, 01:26 PM   #5

For the drain plug you will need a 3/8 rachet and you fill it by were the dip-stick is located (yes you will need a funnel).
chaqui74 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 19th, 2012, 07:35 PM   #6

You will have to come up with some type of funnel/hose combination that will fit inside the dipstick hole. It's a good idea to do this before you drain the fluid.
Old November 22nd, 2012, 07:37 PM   #7

i see what you're saying. are u saying the funnels are too big of an opening?

based on the dipstick, it looks like i can actually use a smaller funnel of some sort.
Old November 22nd, 2012, 10:21 PM   #8

You need to find something that will fit inside the dipstick tube, to fill the transmission. There aren't many funnels with an end that small, so I've seen where some people will attach a small hose to the end of the funnel, to make it small enough to fit inside the dipstick tube. It's important that you find something you know will work, before draining the transmission, because you don't want to have to find something after the transmission is drained, and the car is not operational.
Old November 29th, 2012, 09:59 PM   #9

thanks. i found a funnel that works. oddly. i checked the dip stick cold that morning and notice the level to be a bit below the mark. i haven't done any drain/refill yet.
Old November 30th, 2012, 10:13 AM   #10

That is pretty normal if the car had been sitting and was completely cold. Your ATF level should be between the two indicator markers when HOT.

'07 EX-L HFP V6 Coupe w/ Navi - "Tawonda"
Graphite Pearl / Black Leather
(Sold 7/26/17)

'17 Touring HFP V6 Coupe - "Bianca"
White Orchid Pearl / Black Ivory Leather
(Purchased 5/18/17)
DreaminAccord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 12th, 2013, 01:21 AM   #11

Okay> i'm gonna try to get a reading in 'cold' temp. and i'll let you know what i see. i just find it weird in trying to get an accurate reading. in terms of the funnel. i think i found something at wal mart, but I should better prep and test.
Old February 12th, 2013, 03:22 PM   #12

I just did this on a TSX; I also replaced the OEM inline filter with a Magnefine filter (3/8").

First, I checked the ATF level @ op. temp. immediately after shutting down the car. It was between the low and full marks on the dipstick.

Second, I jacked up the car (w/ jack-stands) and drained the fluid out. I also jacked the rear of the car up to get all of the fluid out. I drained about 3.25 qts; I measured the drained fluid with an empty ATF bottle.

Third, I used the old crush washer on the first D&R and hand tightened the drain plug after cleaning the buildup off of it. I then added ~3.25 qts (the same amount as above) of ATF into the dipstick tube.

Fourth, I drove the car for ~30 miles around town and then repeated the above steps with a new crush washer.

I plan on doing the 3rd D&R at the next oil change (~5K miles from now).
thisaznboi88 likes this.
gwiffer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 12th, 2013, 08:40 PM   #13

how about the funnel. can u get by w/ a smaller funnel?
Old February 13th, 2013, 12:10 AM   #14

I used a long funnel from the autoparts store; it needs to be long because the top radiator hose and battery are in the way. You could use a smaller funnel and attach some tubing to the end. It needs to fit into dipstick tube, so find whatever works.
gwiffer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 13th, 2013, 01:18 AM   #15

Do a drain and fill now, and then do another one next time you change your oil. Do a 3rd drain and fill, at 90k miles.

Automatic transmissions are like fish tanks. If you change ALL the water in the fish tank at once and put the fish back in, you shock them and they die. Not saying your transmission will die, but do it slowly. I do drain and fills on ALL my fluids every 30k/3yr.

The service interval for the automatic is between 60k-120k. You will have changed out ALL the fluid by 90k miles. But doing it slowly instead of all at once and maintaining good shift quality through out the life of the trans
Sold: 04' Accord 6-6 Coupe, 112k miles: Autocross STX season champion 2013.
Randomhero is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 22nd, 2013, 06:36 PM   #16

How To: Transmission Fluid Change

Here you go, this should help a bit.
demeyz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 22nd, 2013, 07:03 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by demeyz View Post
How To: Transmission Fluid Change

Here you go, this should help a bit.
Or you could just get a thin funnel and fill it through the dipstick... good research though.
Sold: 04' Accord 6-6 Coupe, 112k miles: Autocross STX season champion 2013.
Randomhero is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 8th, 2013, 11:47 PM   #18

i did this when i bought my car at 101.3k miles . i had no idea if the previous owner did this ..... better safe than sorry
it was straight forward. i did replace my stock tranny filter with a
Magnefine filter (3/8").
im glad i bought 4 QTS because the filter sucks up a bit
towncarblue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 9th, 2013, 12:11 PM   #19

I just did a drain and refill, and refilled about 2 1/2 quarts. The pan seemed to hold about 2 quarts on flat surface. I didn't jack anything up.

I can't seem to get an accurate reading, so I'll check while it's hot, and maybe tomorrow morning. Guess the tunnel had some splash of ATF.
Old March 31st, 2013, 08:41 PM   #20

i used a 6" portion of garden hose plumbed below a funnel. works without a hitch.
cha_cheng is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in