changed my oil and now a check engine light? - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD TECHNICAL DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 29th, 2012, 10:40 PM   #1

changed my oil and now a check engine light?

So I put the front of the car on jackstands and drained the oil and changed the filter... I put 5 qts of redline synthetic 5w30 and lowered the car. I checked for leaks and there were none. I then started the car and turned it off and checked the oil level and it was just a tad above full... so I backed out of the driveway and it felt like my trans was slipping.... I had to give it more gas than usual to get going and while I was driving the trans was shifting very funny... It was downshifting and upshifing when it wasnt supposed to and it was very jerky... I drove to a friends house and we went to a restaurant. On the way to the restaurant the check engine light came on... (I only have 88k) miles and Ive never experienced this or had a check engine light on ever.... After the restaurant I checked the oil again and it was still just slighly above the full line... even though the check engine light was still on, on the way back from the restaurant, the car seemed to respond to throttle fine and shift fine.

I dont understand how an oil change (with the same oil Ive been using for my past 2-3 oil changes) can make the car drive like **** and the engine light pop up...

Im going to autozone tomorrow to check the code but does anybody have any ideas?

Thanks
FollowingNFront is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 29th, 2012, 11:48 PM   #2
✔ Verified Member

Send a message via Yahoo to otsb708 Send a message via Skype™ to otsb708
Are you sure you didn't overfill the oil? My car always takes 4.6 quarts to hit the full line on the dipstick.
otsb708 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 29th, 2012, 11:53 PM   #3

Well as long as I didnt read the dipstic wrong the oil level is only slightly above the full mark... Ive filled it this much before... What kind of issue can overfilling the engine cause that would make the car shift funny, etc?

Old December 30th, 2012, 12:28 AM   #4

5qts should be okay. If you are in Queens, I have a code scanner as well if you want to swing by tomorrow.

Hopefully not another v6 tranny issue, that mostly seemed to plague the 03-05s.
CYANiDE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 30th, 2012, 08:47 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CYANiDE View Post
5qts should be okay. If you are in Queens, I have a code scanner as well if you want to swing by tomorrow.

Hopefully not another v6 tranny issue, that mostly seemed to plague the 03-05s.
Thanks man but Im actually out of town right now... Im also on my 2nd tranny so 06s suffered the tranny plague too :-(
Old December 30th, 2012, 09:32 AM   #6

Well Ijust got the code checked at advance auto and it came up as p0741 "torque converter... clutch solenoid".... yay for me. And Ive got a 200 mile drive ahead of me today
Old December 30th, 2012, 11:28 AM   #7

Is it possible it's just a faulty switch?
CYANiDE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 30th, 2012, 06:14 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CYANiDE View Post
Is it possible it's just a faulty switch?
I have no idea. I hope so
Old December 30th, 2012, 06:19 PM   #9
✔ Verified Member

Send a message via Yahoo to otsb708 Send a message via Skype™ to otsb708
Sorry about that, Matt. Let us know what the issue was. It sounds like that solenoid went bad. :/
otsb708 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 30th, 2012, 08:02 PM   #10

Where did you get the replacement tranny from? Warranty?
BLCKFLSH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 30th, 2012, 08:51 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by otsb708 View Post
Sorry about that, Matt. Let us know what the issue was. It sounds like that solenoid went bad. :/
Thank you! Ive been in contact with Fred SVT from driveaccord about it and using some of his trouble shooting tips Ive discovered that the tranny fluid level isnt even registering on the dipstick when hot... That paired with the buzzing sound upon startup suggests that I may have ran my tranny dry... I have no leaks so I dont know how that happened... But lord know s how long its been like that! Ive driven approx. 300 miles since the check engine light came on and the problems started, I know that much. Im going to add some Honda atf that I have laying around until it reaches the full mark and see if the trans acts normal after that... Then I guess Ill have to go from there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLCKFLSH View Post
Where did you get the replacement tranny from? Warranty?
Honda replaced it under the certified preoened warranty at 44k miles. The warranty is a 7yr 100k warranty. I currently have only 88k miles but my car makes 7 yrs in 2013.

If my tranny is in fact toast, due to how horrible dealing with Honda can be when it comes to warranty work, I may be trading the car in on a 2012 Maxima sv sport lease... Ive been considering a Maxima anyway but Ive been putting it off and telling myself that as long as I have a car that works fine I dont NEED a new car and payments... Well it would seem that my car isnt working "fine" anymore. Im not going to put the cart before the horse though. Gonna see what happens when I top off the tranny.

Last edited by FollowingNFront; December 30th, 2012 at 09:14 PM..
Old December 31st, 2012, 06:51 PM   #12

So I unplugged the battery for a while to reset the code, and the I added the 1 qt of z1 and so far the car is driving pretty much fine. After some driving and the tranny fluid being "hot", it still only registered just over the lower mark on the dipstick. My guess is it still need around another half quart... I have no idea how it got so low, but since I added the quart of z1, when I start the car there hasnt been any more audible buzzing coming from the trans and the check engine light hasnt come back yet either. Im just worried about what kind of damage may have been done. Still may go down to Nissan tomorrow or Wednesday
Old January 3rd, 2013, 08:43 PM   #13

Well, looks like I'll be trading her in.... http://www.v6performance.net/forums/...ml#post2030012
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in