How-To: Custom OEM Fog Light Switch w/ eBay/Spec-D Fog Harness (dimming included!) - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD TECHNICAL DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By DreaminAccord
  • 1 Post By jweezy
  • 1 Post By vasekvi
  • 1 Post By super425

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 25th, 2013, 03:50 PM   #1

How-To: Custom OEM Fog Light Switch w/ eBay/Spec-D Fog Harness (dimming included!)

So, I had purchased my Spec-D fog lamps w/ harness and switch for $0.95 shipped a while back (haha ask if you want to know how). Anyhow, I did NOT want an OEM harness and/or housings/lenses as A) I wanted to be in complete control over when I can turn them on/off and B) I had read many members complaining about how easily their lenses were cracked by flying debris and I knew they cost upwards of $90 to replace! Screw that.

Anyhow, there is nothing wrong with the Spec-D or eBay wiring harnesses, they work absolutely great, but there is some poor craftsmanship put into the build quality and design of the switch. So with that said, and a big kudos to paperboy who originally came up with this mod (I give him 100% credit for doing the research; and another big thank you to Princess for her always-provided and much-needed Honda PDF files), I came up with my own way and fanangled an OEM fog switch to the Spec-D harness & fogs.

Now, should you use what I'm about to post as a tutorial/guide, I just want to say that: UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES (should you burn yourself with a soldering iron; catch your car on fire; trip over your shoelace; or have a monkey jump in and steal your car while its idling as you sit and marvel over your job well done...) AM I RESPONSIBLE!

================= VIDEOS ================

Video #1 - OEM Fog Switch Mod

Video #2 - OEM Fog Switch Mod - All Light Outputs

================= PICS ==================

I gathered my needed supplies (for all of the "indoor" work). Grab your crayons, kidz! It's coloring tyme!!

The OEM switch calls for a BLUE, GREEN, RED, RED/BLACK, and BLACK wire from the OEM fog harness. I already had red, red/black and black wiring - so I grabbed some white 14g I had lying around and colored one purple (I didn't have blue) and one green. Yay! Art class like when I was 5! (14G isn't really necessary but will work. You can use any 22-16G, as the OEM harness uses 22-20G, I believe. Very tiny.)

But then, I grew up and mommy let me use a soldering iron. I pre-soldered my tips as any good solderer will do:

Initially, and not allowing my coffee to sink in yet...like a fool I tried to solder the pins through the blue plastic piece of the switch. Ended up melting some of the plastic, too haha. Then - "Wait a dang'on minute...I'm not using a male connector! F* this.." Get out your pair of snips and cut that biotch off!

Ahhhh, much better! So much more room.

Now, pre-solder your pins on the switch:

Pay attention to what side of the switch is UP, so you know the location of pin #1-5 and don't solder wire #1 to pin #5 (the side w/ the larger blue plastic piece and no bulbs is up where the clip of the connector should slide into - but remember, we cut that off? )

Solder on your wires to each correct pin:
OoOoOOo! Purrrrrty.

Individually taped:

Then, one last piece of tape for extra protection:

====== INSIDE work complete. Now go out to the car ======

Look at that ugly, mismatched, sunken in switch :thumbsdow

This is how cheaply it is manufactured (must be by children), because mine literally just fell apart one day and I kept it together w/ black electrical tape around the body of the switch. Then, you were lucky if it stayed in place long enough, that when you'd push the switch it'd either get stuck in the ON or OFF position because the circuit board would slide too far back so the "plunger" wouldn't reach it

^^ As you can see, I tried putting an orange cap over the bulb to see if it'd "remotely" even match the rest of the coupe...not even close. I hated this switch all around.

Cut off the existing male connector from the harness:

2x 12V (Red), 1x Fog Light Control (Yellow), 1x Ground (Black)

You only need 1 of the red 12V wires, so leave the other one in its protective casing and tape it off. Strip the other three wires:

Here are the two wires (1x red, 1x red/black (ground)) from the moonroof switch that you will be using so that the new fog switch has OEM dimming capabilities:

I chose to mount my fog switch in the middle, and moved the VSA switch over being that I NEVER touch it. Why would you? lol The OEM fog switch is a little more grayish-black than the other two, so putting it in the middle "sort of" balances it out (black, grayish-black, black)...but that's just my OCD - do what you want :tongue:

NOTE: This next pic shows me using wire taps. In the end, I immediately tore them off and soldered the connections. Everything BUT the illumination/dimming worked on the new switch b/c taps are unreliable and were not making a good connection. I couldn't get pics of the soldered pieces though as I had to charge my phone.

^^ Connect the OEM solid red with your solid red, and the OEM red/black with your red/black. These are connections #11 & #12 on both switches and work as illumination (dimming)/ground.

Pre-solder your Spec-D/eBay harness wires:

Solder RED-->BLUE; YELLOW-->GREEN; BLACK-->BLACK

Lastly, tape them up and enjoy your new OEM switch that can be used at any time the car is powered! :biggrin:

Full brightness:

(OFF)

(ON)

Dimmed:

(ON)
3.0UALLKNOW and K3N like this.

'07 EX-L HFP V6 Coupe w/ Navi - "Tawonda"
Graphite Pearl / Black Leather
(Sold 7/26/17)

'17 Touring HFP V6 Coupe - "Bianca"
White Orchid Pearl / Black Ivory Leather
(Purchased 5/18/17)

Last edited by DreaminAccord; March 25th, 2013 at 05:16 PM..
DreaminAccord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 25th, 2013, 05:06 PM   #2

The one thing I absolutely hate about these eBay foglights are the in-car switch. It's so ugly lol. That's why I've been trying to source one from pick-n-pulls or from the US. This is an awesome write up nonetheless!

By the way, I couldn't watch the video for some reason? I could only hear you talk lol.
Old March 25th, 2013, 05:09 PM   #3

You obviously didn't wait a minute until you could see I turn the switch lights on lol I was in the garage and the vid came out dark on YouTube

(Sold 7/26/17)

(Purchased 5/18/17)

Old March 25th, 2013, 05:11 PM   #4

I am pretty sure it's just an image with you talking lol. It didn't even link it through YouTube.
jweezy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 25th, 2013, 05:15 PM   #5

lol go to the next tab - for some reason V6P opens two links when you link a URL to a pic (it hasn't been embedding my vids lately for some reason) 1 tab is the pic and the other is the actual YouTube video

Updated OP to just be hyperlinks since V6P is being GHEY.

(Sold 7/26/17)

(Purchased 5/18/17)
Old March 25th, 2013, 05:21 PM   #6

That's better! Thanks!!
DreaminAccord likes this.
jweezy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 25th, 2013, 09:10 PM   #7
Czechopino

Send a message via AIM to vasekvi Send a message via Yahoo to vasekvi
awesome writeup. i did the same exact thing, same lame switch, went to oem, and moved it to the middle. but I dont have vsa on my 03, just tcs. oh and i have my foglights on with the ignition since i dont have drl.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-

vasekvi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 4th, 2013, 08:55 AM   #8

Interesting enough. But, why not just cut the factory harness and splice the wire together that way no soldering has to be done? Just a question
BLK98AV6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 4th, 2013, 09:33 AM   #9

Send a message via AIM to accordcoupe7
Great write up Ben. I definitely might do this soon. After working on my headlights lol. I never understood why Honda made a switch for the vsa. Lol mines is always on.
accordcoupe7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 25th, 2013, 08:57 PM   #10

Nice mod
super425 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 4th, 2014, 06:37 PM   #11

Thank you kind sir

(Sold 7/26/17)

(Purchased 5/18/17)
Old April 24th, 2014, 01:26 PM   #12

Count me in the club that hates their ebay switch. I will have to try this when I have some free time. Thanks for the detailed write up.
clinn57 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 19th, 2014, 07:19 PM   #13

I just got my OEM switch and i also have the OEM switch harness. Now, do i make my own wires or sacrifice the $16 harness and take the 5 wires and the male connector and toss the rest? Im thinking i may just do that for a less hacked up look.

If anyone knows a way to just plug the OEM switch and switch harness under the dash and somehow connect the rest of the ebay harness to it please let me know. Electrical isnt my strong suite :/
Bursaliozer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 21st, 2014, 07:51 PM   #14

Just hooked mine up and everything works great. I didnt do the dimming part, dont need it. I used the OEM switch and used the male end and wires from the OEM switch harness. Thanks for the write up, it helped me a lot
Bursaliozer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 29th, 2014, 05:13 AM   #15

Nice mod.
hightechredneck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 31st, 2014, 01:54 PM   #16
AJB

Anyone know why the back lighting for the sunroof and traction control do not light up when my light are on?
AJB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 19th, 2014, 08:54 PM   #17

oh wow if only i found this sooner!
emmvee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 13th, 2015, 01:40 PM   #18
Calm like a bomb

To everyone commenting on why you would ever need to dis-engage the VSA, I'm guessing you don't have the pleasure of doing much winter weather driving. I am from a shi**y little town in north east PA and we get a good amount of ice and snow. I learned to rally drive before I learned how to drive on paved roads. Turning it off makes the car more predictable when you are EXPECTING to lose traction. Try power sliding around a turn with that sh*t on and you will be there waiting for the tow truck driver to come yank you out of the snow bank you just landed in lol. I know this is off topic but I figured I'd let you know.

Back to the topic at hand, nice write up! I am comfortable working on cars since I was a child but wiring... well they don't make sockets for wires so I'm out. But this I might try my hand at.
StevilKnievel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 16th, 2015, 10:18 PM   #19
Give me a AK-47, NOW!

Send a message via AIM to PwR2BrN
Could anyone help with my problem?

My left most wire (blue) is connected to a relay. The 2nd wire (yellow) is connected to the rear window fuse in fuse box(i have a coupe) with a tap a fuse. And the most right wire is the ground.

The light on the switch is on as soon as I turn to key to ACC and stays on no matter if i press the switch or not. Also nothing happens to my foglights when I press the switch. Any idea what might be wrong? Thanks in advance.
PwR2BrN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 5th, 2016, 07:32 PM   #20

This is next on my list.
rwl0002 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 5th, 2016, 10:13 PM   #21

nice
alongcor24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 9th, 2016, 06:52 PM   #22

I Need help diagnosing why my OEM fog lights stopped working on my 04 Accord Coupe v6 6-speed. The fog lights somehow stayed on with the fog light switch off, car off, lights off, keys out of the ignition. I started my car up turned on lights, turned fog lights on then off and the fog lights went off. Ever since then the fog lights would not work. I checked fuses, replaced both bulbs, fog light switch has power, since the light is on when the switch is turned on. When I turn on the fog lights one of the relays is working. I checked both relays for coil resistance and they are ok. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. thank you
kcc455 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 1st, 2018, 11:27 PM   #23

Did you ever get an answer for your foglight not working?
Anewoasis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in