Clutch issue - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD TECHNICAL DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 15th, 2013, 10:28 PM   #1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 104
Clutch issue

Well I've searched and haven't been able to find anyone else with the same symptoms so going to ask for some opinions. Or maybe one of you has had the same thing and can give me answers.

In my '06 Sedan, the clutch will engage immediately as pedal comes up off the floor only when I have held it in at a stoplight for some period of time (like 30 seconds+). A quick pump or two and it is fine again. If I don't hold it in for long, all seems normal. Haven't seen any fluid leaks. This has been going on for quite some time (maybe 50,000 miles) and I've just lived with it since it's not really too difficult to drive this way.

Now I'm going to put a new clutch in since I'm putting a J32A3 in soon and the original clutch has 223,000 miles. Seems like a good time to change the clutch even though it isn't slipping. But I'm wondering if I should go ahead and change the slave and/or Master to correct this problem. Not a big deal to just change them, but I don't want to throw parts at it without having a better idea of what the problem is. Certainly seems like hydraulic issue to me, but I suppose it could be the pressure plate.

Any suggestions or experience with this is appreciated.

Thanks,
Todd
06Accord6spd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old April 15th, 2013, 10:34 PM   #2
Registered User
 
thisaznboi88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: West Virginia
Posts: 8,733
either you have bubbles in the line or the pressure plate is death. What does the clutch fluid look like?
thisaznboi88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 15th, 2013, 10:49 PM   #3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisaznboi88 View Post
either you have bubbles in the line or the pressure plate is death. What does the clutch fluid look like?
Good question... I've really kind of ignored it but will check that out tomorrow.

Do you think the the pp could cause this but still not allow the clutch to slip?
06Accord6spd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old April 15th, 2013, 11:23 PM   #4
Slammed & Stunning
 
MatthewYu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 3,496
Send a message via AIM to MatthewYu
YES^..
How do you even have 220k+ miles on your stock clutch my God..
Your engine must have never been pushed 3k rpms hahaha
MatthewYu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 15th, 2013, 11:32 PM   #5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewYu View Post
YES^..
How do you even have 220k+ miles on your stock clutch my God..
Your engine must have never been pushed 3k rpms hahaha
On the contrary... My car has seen regular track (road course) duty every season.

And my bent valves are evidence of high rpm. DOH

Hence - the J32A3 swap since I just can't see putting another timing belt on an engine with bent valves. Plus it's cheaper than fixing the J30. And fyi, the valves were bent with about 80K miles on the clock. Rough idle and perpetual CEL, but it still gets 28 - 31+ mpg on the highway.
06Accord6spd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 16th, 2013, 12:23 AM   #6
Slammed & Stunning
 
MatthewYu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 3,496
Send a message via AIM to MatthewYu
I bent my valves and put in a new J30A5. In fact I just got her back today..
I'm in love. Did the water pump and timing belt.
Labor for $800 which included water pump and timing belt, labor for swap, new NGK plugs, coolant, rear seal, and seafoam.
MatthewYu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 16th, 2013, 07:16 AM   #7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: MN
Posts: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06Accord6spd View Post
Well I've searched and haven't been able to find anyone else with the same symptoms so going to ask for some opinions. Or maybe one of you has had the same thing and can give me answers.

In my '06 Sedan, the clutch will engage immediately as pedal comes up off the floor only when I have held it in at a stoplight for some period of time (like 30 seconds+). A quick pump or two and it is fine again. If I don't hold it in for long, all seems normal. Haven't seen any fluid leaks. This has been going on for quite some time (maybe 50,000 miles) and I've just lived with it since it's not really too difficult to drive this way.

Now I'm going to put a new clutch in since I'm putting a J32A3 in soon and the original clutch has 223,000 miles. Seems like a good time to change the clutch even though it isn't slipping. But I'm wondering if I should go ahead and change the slave and/or Master to correct this problem. Not a big deal to just change them, but I don't want to throw parts at it without having a better idea of what the problem is. Certainly seems like hydraulic issue to me, but I suppose it could be the pressure plate.

Any suggestions or experience with this is appreciated.

Thanks,
Todd
Sounds like what happens with your brake pedal over time if you don't flush out the old fluid and rebleed with new. Doesn't necessarily mean there is anything wrong with your clutch. But with that many miles, and a newer motor swap on the way, I'd replace it with the swap.
200366HFP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 13th, 2013, 08:44 AM   #8
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 200366HFP View Post
Sounds like what happens with your brake pedal over time if you don't flush out the old fluid and rebleed with new. Doesn't necessarily mean there is anything wrong with your clutch. But with that many miles, and a newer motor swap on the way, I'd replace it with the swap.
Yeah, I also want to know that...
Adwerd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On