Help 2003 EX-L V6 Coupe Problems - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD TECHNICAL DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ikethegreat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 5th, 2013, 12:44 PM   #1
Silver Bullitt

Help 2003 EX-L V6 Coupe Problems

Hi Guys, I'm having a couple of problems recently and need some help. I've got a 2003 Accord EX-L V6 Coupe that has 123,000 miles, and it has been very well maintained. I've owned it 2 years.

The first thing that happened is the A/C would stop blowing cold intermittently, then would just start blowing Ice Cold again. I had several people say it was the Expansion Valve, so we had the system evacuated and the Expansion Valve and Drier replace and the system re charged, but that didn't do anything. An A/C mechanic My Dad uses for his Dump truck said he thinks it's a sensor, because when he looked at it before it stopped blowing cold all together, it would go from Ice Cold, to blowing Ambient Air, and then back to Ice Cold again. The Compressor was engaging, but now it won't engage, which he says he believes is because of the sensor.

The second issue started 2 days ago. I made a right turn out of the apartment complex and there was a thumping sound coming from the right front side of the car and the steering wheel started jerking violently, left and right. My first thought was a flat tire, but I drove about 100 feet and we heard something hard bounce under the car and the thumping stopped and the steering stopped jerking so violently, Now it has a wobble/vibration in the steering and it pulls pretty hard to the left.

Dad and I jacked it up and took off the front tires and the Left Steering gear Boot is Off at the Gear side. but looks OK and the tie Rod Ends look fine. Dad had me put it in neutral and tried turning the wheels left and right and spinning the wheels and everything seems tight. Then he had me start it and put it in drive with the wheels off the ground. The left wheel spun but the right wasn't turning until I gave it some gas. When I did, it engaged but made a horrible grinding/clunking sound. I turned off the Traction Control off and it doesn't make that sound.

Does Anyone have any Idea what could be causing these issues? Any Help would be Greatly Appreciated.

Last edited by TampaBear67; August 5th, 2013 at 01:17 PM..
TampaBear67 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 8th, 2013, 12:27 AM   #2
Silver Bullitt

Well after no responses and a little investigating I tried to run the diagnostic on the A/C but it wouldn't give any codes. It only said Hi where the Numbers should be for a couple of minutes, then switched to low and the blower started blowing warm air. So, I finally just took it to Honda. It turns out that the issue with the Steering and Pulling Issue turned out to be a Separated Tire. 4 new Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Tires and $588 Later and It Drives like a New Car again. I had the alignment checked at Firestone when they installed the tires and after 2 1/2 years of ownership it's still completely in spec's, which was good news. However Honda did give me some bad news. They found a rear main seal leak, which they want $1232 to fix, and said the front struts are starting to leak. Another $795. Also they said it has No Freon in the System, which I just had Filled after having the Expansion Valve and Drier installed. So it's got a leak somewhere. They wanted $189 to Evac and Re-Charge the system just to check for leaks and test it. So after the expense of the tires, and looking at a Rear Main Seal repair, the A/C is just gonna have to wait.
Old August 8th, 2013, 07:40 AM   #3
Function > Form

For the A/C, run a dye through the system and recharge it. After a week of use, see where it's leaking from. Most leak detection dyes are UV detectable (the kit comes with the goggles so you can see) an see what needs replacement from there.

If the front struts are going bad, I'd replace all four while you're at it. Maybe even upgrade with some lowering springs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Car guy/mechanic, Sonic fan and metalhead. loldiversity
[ChaosweaveR] is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old August 8th, 2013, 10:35 AM   #4

Run the dye or if it already had dye in it and its leaking out fast, inspect all hoses and components for freon residue. It should be evident (green color), sometimes without the goggles

If the rear main seal is not leaking out excessively or not leaving any drops on the ground, its probably not in need of urgent fix. It may just be seeping but some shops will make it sound worse

Past:
2007 Black coupe 6-5AT
2006 Silver coupe 6-6MT
2006 Black coupe 6-5AT
2005 Graphite coupe 6-5AT
2003 Black coupe 6-6MT
mc1114 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 8th, 2013, 11:35 AM   #5
Carpe Diem

$795 to replace the front struts? What a rip off. Pick up some aftermarket struts (front and back, don't just replace the front) and have a private shop install them.
hondav6 likes this.
ikethegreat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 14th, 2013, 01:20 AM   #6
Silver Bullitt

Thanks for the replies guys. We had the Freon Filled about a month ago and they said it was completely empty, so not sure where it's leaking. I'm just going to have to get it topped off with some dye in it and go from there. As for the rear Main Seal I was told to change the PCV Valve because I was told if it was clogged it could cause High Crankcase Pressure and could cause it to start leaking, which I know was an issue with Ford 4.6 Liter engines from my previous 97 Thunderbird. I picked one up at Advance for $24.95 which was a Genuine Honda Part, and took about 5 minutes to change. Hopefully it will slow the leak. The Struts are also something else I've looked into and found full Strut and Spring Unit's for Under $200 a Pair with New Springs, so I'm going to change those myself.
Old September 3rd, 2013, 12:06 PM   #7

yeah do the struts/springs yourself. not that hard to do.

the a/c stuff can be a pain. hate to deal with that stuff. hopefully its something simple.
MKIVBB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 3rd, 2013, 12:10 PM   #8

check the AC hardlines. There might be a crack. My uncle MDX had the same problem.
thisaznboi88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in