Weird Blinker Malfunction - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD TECHNICAL DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By BLCKFLSH

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 6th, 2013, 06:07 AM   #1
Carpe Diem

Weird Blinker Malfunction

So just the other day my blinkers started acting very strange out of no where.

1. With the headlights turned on, when I hit the blinker, both front blinkers blink.

2. With the headlights turned on, when I hit the blinker, all of my rear lights blink (brake lights, and license plate lights).

3. When I hit my blinker (regardless of whether the headlights are on or not), my head unit's screen flashes with it.

I've checked the wiring for the turn signals at the fuse box and it looks fine. I checked my stereo wiring and that also looks fine. I checked the wires at all four turn signals, and they all seem fine as well. I'm stumped. No idea what is going on. I don't even want to drive the car without working blinkers. Any ideas?

Videos:

Rear
&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">

Front
&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">

This one is of my head unit freaking out when the blinkers are on.

&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">
ikethegreat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 6th, 2013, 11:21 AM   #2
Carpe Diem

I replaced the turn signal relay. No luck
Old August 6th, 2013, 01:03 PM   #3

Lets try resetting it? Unplug the battery
nathanhuu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old August 6th, 2013, 01:04 PM   #4

Do you have any aftermarket alarm system installed? It looks like the parking lights are triggering on/off with the turn signal. I am thinking that if you have an alarm installed, when they spliced into the parking lights it's shorting with a turn signal wire somewhere.
CYANiDE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 6th, 2013, 01:34 PM   #5
Carpe Diem

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanhuu View Post
Lets try resetting it? Unplug the battery
Tried that, no luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CYANiDE View Post
Do you have any aftermarket alarm system installed? It looks like the parking lights are triggering on/off with the turn signal. I am thinking that if you have an alarm installed, when they spliced into the parking lights it's shorting with a turn signal wire somewhere.
No aftermarket alarm.
Old August 6th, 2013, 07:49 PM   #6

Combination (head light, blinker) switch?
DreaminAccord likes this.
BLCKFLSH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 7th, 2013, 05:53 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikethegreat View Post
No aftermarket alarm.
Okay, so that rules out any shorting since there shouldn't be exposed wiring.

I would move onto the stalk for the signals next. Not sure the cost or difficulty of replacing it though.
Old August 7th, 2013, 06:09 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLCKFLSH View Post
Yeah, that would be my guess.
MM49 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 7th, 2013, 06:10 AM   #9
Carpe Diem

I'm not sure how I missed this before, but the wife pointed out last night that when I turn my blinker on, there is a knocking noise coming from somewhere behind the dash. I'm not talking about the normal blinker clicking, this is a knocking that happens in rhythm with the normal clicking.

I'm not 100% sure where it is coming from, but it sounds like it's coming from beneath the stereo..... I really hope it isn't the ECU....
Old August 7th, 2013, 06:14 AM   #10
Carpe Diem

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLCKFLSH View Post
Hmmm I didn't even think of this. I wonder how hard it is to replace?
Old August 8th, 2013, 05:54 AM   #11

I think you have to remove the lower dashboard cover and then steering column covers. Switch should be held in place my two screws.
MM49 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 8th, 2013, 11:28 AM   #12
Carpe Diem

That sounds easy enough. I watched a youtube video where they replaced it on a 5th gen and it seems like the process is the same for the 7th gen if you are right.

My switch comes in Monday. I was surprised it was only $24, I was expecting worse. Just hoping this solves the problem...
Old August 9th, 2013, 11:21 AM   #13
Carpe Diem

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikethegreat View Post
I'm not sure how I missed this before, but the wife pointed out last night that when I turn my blinker on, there is a knocking noise coming from somewhere behind the dash. I'm not talking about the normal blinker clicking, this is a knocking that happens in rhythm with the normal clicking.

I'm not 100% sure where it is coming from, but it sounds like it's coming from beneath the stereo..... I really hope it isn't the ECU....

Well I figured out where the sound was coming from, although I have no idea what it does. According to the parts diagram, it is a "Stopper" (54023-S5D-A81).

It only does this clicking when in park, without the brake applied. If I apply the brakes, or shift out of park, it does not do this.

Video:
&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">
Old August 9th, 2013, 10:06 PM   #14

I'm not sure if you're running HIDs or not, from the video (some camera phones can make halogens look HID due to the quality and glare) but if you are, what harness are you running? Is it relayed and/or fused?

Have you checked every fuse in both the interior driver footwell, as well as, the engine bay?

I'm with BLCKFLSH on the combo switch. I've had them fail on me in the past in other cars, and it can cause some weird arse sheit to happen.

I'd also check all of your main grounds and ensure that they are making good contact with the metal of the frame - even if this requires removal of the surrounding paint. I once had a bad ground contact near my passenger headlamp and it caused all sorts of weird stuff to happen - low beams were VERY dim, high beams flickered, wipers would just flip on/off at random times...I didn't know what the heck was happening lol

'07 EX-L HFP V6 Coupe w/ Navi - "Tawonda"
Graphite Pearl / Black Leather
(Sold 7/26/17)

'17 Touring HFP V6 Coupe - "Bianca"
White Orchid Pearl / Black Ivory Leather
(Purchased 5/18/17)
DreaminAccord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 14th, 2013, 06:01 AM   #15
Carpe Diem

Swapped the combination switch, still no change.

When I put the car into reverse, both blinker lights on the dash briefly light up. The image on my HU from the rear view camera is very distorted and basically ****ed up.

Could a faulty rear view camera be causing all these problems? I hate to keep throwing money at this by replacing things but I'm running out of ideas...

There is an auto electrical repair shop near my house that I'm going to take the car to if I can't figure it out. I'm just not looking forward to spending hundreds of dollars for them to try and diagnose the problem.
Old August 14th, 2013, 06:03 AM   #16
Carpe Diem

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreaminAccord View Post
I'm not sure if you're running HIDs or not, from the video (some camera phones can make halogens look HID due to the quality and glare) but if you are, what harness are you running? Is it relayed and/or fused?

Have you checked every fuse in both the interior driver footwell, as well as, the engine bay?

I'm with BLCKFLSH on the combo switch. I've had them fail on me in the past in other cars, and it can cause some weird arse sheit to happen.

I'd also check all of your main grounds and ensure that they are making good contact with the metal of the frame - even if this requires removal of the surrounding paint. I once had a bad ground contact near my passenger headlamp and it caused all sorts of weird stuff to happen - low beams were VERY dim, high beams flickered, wipers would just flip on/off at random times...I didn't know what the heck was happening lol
Yes I have HIDs with a custom made harness that has several fuses. They all looked fine.

I visually inspected as many grounds as I can but there are so many, I could have easily over looked one.
Old August 19th, 2013, 06:21 AM   #17
Carpe Diem

Checked the rear view camera wiring, the tail light wiring, and the head light wiring and harness. All looked fine. I tested every single fuse in the car and all tested fine. I checked every single ground wire in the engine bay and they were all were fine. I pulled the stereo out and redid EVERY single ****ing wire. Nothing worked.

I think I've done everything I can, time to take it somewhere I guess...
Old August 27th, 2013, 05:47 AM   #18
Carpe Diem

$500 later, I have working blinkers. There was apparently a short in the rear turn signals somewhere. I have a feeling it has something to do with the accident I was in last year where my whole rear end had to be rebuilt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in