Climate control issue-air is warmer on driver's side than passenger side - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD TECHNICAL DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 17th, 2013, 10:27 PM   #1
Mr. Detail

Climate control issue-air is warmer on driver's side than passenger side

Started noticing it this spring, but didn't realize the passenger side a/c was blowing so cold-which is why my son was wondering why I was complaining about the car taking too long to cool down. No matter how low I set the temperature on my side, it takes a really long time to get cold. Cool air but not cold. And if I get right on the freeway, it seems to make it take longer to cool down on my side. Sometimes hitting the gas hard to get around traffic helps speed the cooling, usually when doing it at lower speeds. At night or on cloudy days, both sides seem equally cool.

Tried raising and lowering the temperature on my side thinking maybe something in the system was sticking but no change. Doesn't help to put the system into manual mode either.

Since engine speed seems to affect it, is there something in the system that relies on engine vacuum?

2004 Infiniti G35 6MT. Also super shiny.
Scottwax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 17th, 2013, 11:53 PM   #2

Ughhhh I remeber a article about this on another car. Ill try looking for it. If I remember right it was something electrical. We do have that digital a/c. I have personally seen them fail on a couple accords. Ill try looking for the thread but other than that I can't say much, does ur side smell different? Do you think overall your a/c has died down, or did this problem just occur without any signs of your a/c going bad. How's your alternator? A/c compressor?
nismoasfuh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 18th, 2013, 12:13 AM   #3
Honda enthusiast

I had a similar problem in my coupe except it was the passenger side not cooling properly. It was low on refrigerant. I filled the low side to 40 psi with the car running and the a/c on high and all vents started to blow ice cold once again.
michaellowrider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old August 18th, 2013, 09:15 AM   #4
Mr. Detail

Quote:
Originally Posted by nismoasfuh View Post
Ughhhh I remeber a article about this on another car. Ill try looking for it. If I remember right it was something electrical. We do have that digital a/c. I have personally seen them fail on a couple accords. Ill try looking for the thread but other than that I can't say much, does ur side smell different? Do you think overall your a/c has died down, or did this problem just occur without any signs of your a/c going bad. How's your alternator? A/c compressor?
With one side blowing really cold, my guess is that the compressor itself is fine but that there is something maybe in the way the climate control system mixes the air that is messing up. Just not sure where to start looking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaellowrider View Post
I had a similar problem in my coupe except it was the passenger side not cooling properly. It was low on refrigerant. I filled the low side to 40 psi with the car running and the a/c on high and all vents started to blow ice cold once again.
First time I noticed it was when I was in Arizona in early April. Added some freon (it was at 28 pounds I believe) since then it seems to be fine. Right at 40 psi low side last time I checked.

Old August 19th, 2013, 09:17 AM   #5

Did you see the drive accord thread where it ended up being the guys condenser? Other people say its just low on freeon.
Old August 19th, 2013, 02:42 PM   #6
Mr. Detail

Quote:
Did you see the drive accord thread where it ended up being the guys condenser? Other people say its just low on freeon.
Found something on acurazine about a damper door that binds, apparently a TSB for RDX's. Just odd that if its freon that it would still be so cold on one side. Probably won't hit 100 again here (or if it does, maybe 1-2 times) so assuming it doesn't get worse, I'll probably not worry about it until spring. But at least I have a few things to look at now

Old August 19th, 2013, 03:14 PM   #7
Honda enthusiast

It was weird when it happened to me, I was chillin and I look over and my girl is dripping sweat.
michaellowrider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 19th, 2013, 09:24 PM   #8

I have the same problem, and then during winter have the same issue but with heat instead. For me to correct the problem with the heater I turn the driver temp knob fully hot till the passenger side is warm and then everything is fine. I haven't had any luck doing this during summer with the A/C though.
Jakefrom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 20th, 2013, 05:02 PM   #9
Mr. Detail

No matter how low I set it on my side, the passenger side is on 72 and the air is colder. Turning it all the way up eventually makes the air warmer so I'm guessing the actual temperature control arrows aren't the problem.
Old August 25th, 2013, 12:16 AM   #10

I'm sure you've done this but have you tried not using it on dual? Changing pass from 72?
Old August 25th, 2013, 05:45 PM   #11
Mr. Detail

Quote:
I'm sure you've done this but have you tried not using it on dual? Changing pass from 72?
Yeah, turned off climate control, same thing.

Looks like I have a slow freon leak. It was down to about 28 psi low side today so its losing about 3 psi a week. Put it back to 40 psi low side, really cold air. No idea when I can get my car in to be fixed, no rain in sight and my detailing business is really booked up right now, even have an '81 Lamborghini Countach set up on Friday. Guess I'll just add a bit of freon each week until I can get it in.

Old August 25th, 2013, 09:55 PM   #12

Oooof a countach better not be a non-spoiler one. That cars has the largest tire width from factory I think it's 325. Keep us updated. Ever since this thread I think I have been psyching myself out but I think my driver side isn't cooling as much as the passenger
Old September 21st, 2013, 06:06 PM   #13

This thread is a month old, but I figured I'd add to it just for anyone searching in the future. One side blowing cold and the other side blowing not as cold is a symptom of a freon issue. Take it to a reputable shop and have them recharge your A/C. My dad is an ASE Master Tech, and my car was doing the same thing. I come from the world of DSMs, so I know a little about cars as well. I thought it was a recharge issue, and that's what it ended up being. The place I got my Accord from just used a canister to recharge the a/c, and that caused a lot of pressure in the lines. After he took 15 minutes to put a good vacuum on the system(and hearing all the pressure bleed out), it fixed the problem entirely. Car cools down within seconds, both sides are equally as freezing.

Cliff notes: If you have this problem go to a REPUTABLE shop and have them vacuum/recharge your system. Make sure they account for an extra 3-4oz for the lines. Just putting in the max still leaves it 3-4oz low because of the lines filling up.
Cracked is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 3rd, 2013, 05:00 PM   #14
Mr. Detail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cracked View Post
This thread is a month old, but I figured I'd add to it just for anyone searching in the future. One side blowing cold and the other side blowing not as cold is a symptom of a freon issue. Take it to a reputable shop and have them recharge your A/C. My dad is an ASE Master Tech, and my car was doing the same thing. I come from the world of DSMs, so I know a little about cars as well. I thought it was a recharge issue, and that's what it ended up being. The place I got my Accord from just used a canister to recharge the a/c, and that caused a lot of pressure in the lines. After he took 15 minutes to put a good vacuum on the system(and hearing all the pressure bleed out), it fixed the problem entirely. Car cools down within seconds, both sides are equally as freezing.

Cliff notes: If you have this problem go to a REPUTABLE shop and have them vacuum/recharge your system. Make sure they account for an extra 3-4oz for the lines. Just putting in the max still leaves it 3-4oz low because of the lines filling up.
Ended up doing that, car was nice and cool both sides but there is obviously a leak in the system so they also added dye. Just haven't been able to get my car back in yet.

Old October 8th, 2013, 07:40 AM   #15
Mr. Detail

Problem solved, the high pressure hose was leaking. Took it back yesterday and the dye told the story. Hose was replaced, system evacuated and refilled. Nice and cold on both sides.
Old November 5th, 2013, 07:41 AM   #16
Czechopino

Send a message via AIM to vasekvi Send a message via Yahoo to vasekvi
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaellowrider View Post
It was weird when it happened to me, I was chillin and I look over and my girl is dripping sweat.
problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottwax View Post
Problem solved, the high pressure hose was leaking. Took it back yesterday and the dye told the story. Hose was replaced, system evacuated and refilled. Nice and cold on both sides.
Glad you got it worked out. I was always wondering why my middle vents in my car always shut down when I turn the temperature up, but they blow cold when I turn the temperature down. Which actually works out for me cause I dont want heat blowing on my phone the way I have it mounted. Do your middle vents blow hot air when on auto with the temperature turned up?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-

vasekvi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 5th, 2013, 12:22 PM   #17

This happened to me once... I just turned the knob from HOT to COLD and it seem to normalize itself.
Sold: 04' Accord 6-6 Coupe, 112k miles: Autocross STX season champion 2013.
Randomhero is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 16th, 2013, 06:44 PM   #18
Mr. Detail

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasekvi View Post

Glad you got it worked out. I was always wondering why my middle vents in my car always shut down when I turn the temperature up, but they blow cold when I turn the temperature down. Which actually works out for me cause I dont want heat blowing on my phone the way I have it mounted. Do your middle vents blow hot air when on auto with the temperature turned up?
Usually HVAC systems blow warm air low in the car (heat rises) since its a more efficient way to distribute warm air.

Going to have that hose replaced again, it was a rebuilt hose, blew apart the other day. Shop that did the work is just going to order me a new hose on them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in