How do you Seafoam the V6? - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD TECHNICAL DISCUSSION
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By BLCKFLSH

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old August 29th, 2013, 10:27 AM  

Send a message via AIM to Bdub95 Send a message via Yahoo to Bdub95
How do you Seafoam the V6?

So i have sea foamed every car i have owned. I even sea foamed our 02 TL via the booster hose and all went fine. But i did it to the accord and oh boy....... I did it the exact way i did the TL and every other car i have owned over the years but this time it didn't take well. Is it another hose i'm supposed to let it suck up the fluid through? When i started the car it idled really low miss firing which i expect that from the treatment. But it smelt like pure gas like the gas from your water heater or something that can explode. It smelt that way for a hour.... It wouldn't rev at all..... And the strangest thing of all........ It NEVER SMOKED!! No smoke NO WHERE!!! I let the car idle for 30 minutes before i even drove it and when i went to drive it it was jerky as ever and it did run but stunk and No smoke EVER came out the back. Eventually the car went back to normal operations but it kind of scared me. Has anyone had this issue? Or is the j30 such a clean running engine it is just no build up? I mean our 02 TL Smoked like nobody's business for a whole freaking day no lie.
Bdub95 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 29th, 2013, 03:13 PM  

I seafoamed all my cars, and alot of smoke came out. Afterward they all started burning oil.

I seafoamed my Accord V6 and no smoke came out, and it doesnt burn oil. Im guessing the V6 was very clean still.

Personally, i would never seafoam again. If you want to clean your engine from the inside out, use some Marvel Mystery Oil in the sump a few hundred miles before an oil change. Or you can check out a more effective, safer, and more expensive AutoRX treatment.

Dont go over mileage on oil changes and everything will be a-ok
Sold: 04' Accord 6-6 Coupe, 112k miles: Autocross STX season champion 2013.
Randomhero is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old August 29th, 2013, 03:56 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomhero View Post
I seafoamed all my cars, and alot of smoke came out. Afterward they all started burning oil.

I seafoamed my Accord V6 and no smoke came out, and it doesnt burn oil. Im guessing the V6 was very clean still.

Personally, i would never seafoam again. If you want to clean your engine from the inside out, use some Marvel Mystery Oil in the sump a few hundred miles before an oil change. Or you can check out a more effective, safer, and more expensive AutoRX treatment.

Dont go over mileage on oil changes and everything will be a-ok
Yea i tend to only use it on my Pontiac but ill never put it in the Accord again.

Old August 29th, 2013, 09:20 PM  

Don't use that stuff on any engine with close-coupled catalytic converters (CCCC). However, fuel additives are probably okay.
gwiffer is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old August 30th, 2013, 07:12 AM  

Use a good detergent gas, and change the oil regularly, and you shouldn't need any treatments or additives.
BLCKFLSH is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old August 30th, 2013, 07:56 AM  

I think I mess my engine up with sea-foam, months ago I did the sea-foam after installing a ZDX Tb and Pnp manifold, I putted the sea foam on the gas tank, oil and a manifold hose. I follow a video of a guy doing it to his 3G TL. A couple of day after I started experiencing miss firing at idle. I have removed all of my mods trying to solve this problem with not luck. The last thing that is going through my head is that I had mess up the engine with sea foam.
chuloav6 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old August 30th, 2013, 08:05 AM  

Did you pull the plugs and inspect them?
Old August 30th, 2013, 08:13 AM  
The Jester

The oil was changed shortly after using Seafoam correct?
oraclem19 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old August 30th, 2013, 08:20 AM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwiffer View Post
Did you pull the plugs and inspect them?
Yea, I bought new ones, change my coils and did a valve adjustment, and removed every mod I had but the Air intake and exhaust. The weird thing is that the car run fine to me, and the miss firing doesn't happens all the time. Something's he miss firing is stronger then other and if I let it idle for 5 minutes or more when the car is hot it my check engine start to blink and gives me a code of all cylinder misfiring
Old August 30th, 2013, 08:21 AM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by oraclem19 View Post
The oil was changed shortly after using Seafoam correct?
Yea, I drove to work and back home than change the oil
Old August 30th, 2013, 08:58 AM  

Fuel injector cleaner, an ounce or two per fill, is the only thing you should ever put in your tank besides gas. I would NEVER put anything into the intake to clean anything. If it needs to be cleaned, the intake ports/throttle body, take it off the car to do it.
200366HFP is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old August 30th, 2013, 09:18 AM  

That's scary. I only do sea foam in Crank and Fuel Tank.
accord325 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old August 30th, 2013, 09:32 AM  

Gumout Regain High Mileage is legit
Techron Concentrate
Redline Si-1
Randomhero is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old August 30th, 2013, 01:36 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuloav6 View Post
Yea, I bought new ones, change my coils and did a valve adjustment, and removed every mod I had but the Air intake and exhaust. The weird thing is that the car run fine to me, and the miss firing doesn't happens all the time. Something's he miss firing is stronger then other and if I let it idle for 5 minutes or more when the car is hot it my check engine start to blink and gives me a code of all cylinder misfiring
Did the seafoam in the crankcase clean some varnish/build-up off the front crank oil seal and cause it to leak? Your crank sensor might be causing the problem.
Old August 30th, 2013, 03:55 PM  

Dbl post
Old August 30th, 2013, 04:15 PM  

Where is the crank sensor?
Old August 31st, 2013, 02:51 PM  

Behind the crank pulley underneath the lower timing belt cover.
Old August 31st, 2013, 04:29 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuloav6 View Post
You changed the coils? Have you tried unplugging one coil at a time, while the engine is running bad, to see if the engine changes? Checked the wire harness connections to the coils?
chuloav6 likes this.
BLCKFLSH is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old September 3rd, 2013, 11:48 AM  

i've never understood why someone would pour seafoam in with your engine oil. that stuff will thin your oil out. very bad.
MKIVBB is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old September 13th, 2013, 11:38 AM  

Send a message via AIM to t-rd
What hose did you use to suck seafoam into the car? I've done it twice and both times there is very little smoke. Compared to my old 98 V6, the 7th gen V6 engine runs very clean. The old 98 smoked up like crazy. The first time I did it, I used the vacuum line behind the intake manifold -> almost no smoke, just a little bit. The second time I did it, I used the vacuum line on top of the intake manifold close to the throttle body -> smoke came out the next day when I started the car, it took a long time for fluid to creep deep in. Both times I have no issues, I have 155k miles on the car. You probably used too much, that's my guess. I had no more than half a cup in a small plastic cup.
Old September 13th, 2013, 02:23 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-rd View Post
What hose did you use to suck seafoam into the car? I've done it twice and both times there is very little smoke. Compared to my old 98 V6, the 7th gen V6 engine runs very clean. The old 98 smoked up like crazy. The first time I did it, I used the vacuum line behind the intake manifold -> almost no smoke, just a little bit. The second time I did it, I used the vacuum line on top of the intake manifold close to the throttle body -> smoke came out the next day when I started the car, it took a long time for fluid to creep deep in. Both times I have no issues, I have 155k miles on the car. You probably used too much, that's my guess. I had no more than half a cup in a small plastic cup.
I used the Brake Booster hose that runs to the manifold. The same hose i use on our 02 TL. I also just used less than half a cup.

And pouring in the oil is meant to be done before a oil change. Similar to that engine flush stuff you pour in the oil to break up gunk and stuff that you have to change the oil afterwards. Seafoam in the oil stopped my old V6 eclipse lifters from ticking no lie.
Old September 14th, 2013, 08:27 AM  

Send a message via AIM to t-rd
I've never used the brake booster vacuum hose, even though that's what seafoam recommends. I use the vacuum hose behind the intake manifold, the one used for the engine stabilization, whatever it's called. The one on top of the throttle body is safe also. But honestly, I don't think we need to seafoam the 7th gen, it has been so clean the 2 times I did it.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in