Banjo bolt single use? - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD TECHNICAL DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 7th, 2013, 11:20 AM   #1

Banjo bolt single use?

To preface this story, I had to completely replace the entire rear braking system on my 2003 accord ex (6/6) about 4 years ago. Within a week of each other, the calipers locked up and created so much heat (orange glowing rotors) that my only choice was to replace everything, caliper, pads, rotors, lines.

So now, just over 4 years later, the rear passenger starts locking up again. Luckily, I missed my exit on I-695 or else I'd be in the same boat again with replacing everything. I grabbed a duracrap caliper and rotors from Advance. I go to my parents place yesterday to replace it. I had to beast every bolt off cause those f***ers are damn near frozen on. When it came to unbolting the brake line, that bolt came out (relatively) easily. But I immediately noticed the threads on the banjo bolt were stripped. Of course, the caliper did not come with a new bolt (even though it came with the copper washers for the banjo bolt). Went back to Advance, they don't have the bolt and a new line also doesn't come with a bolt. Auto zone, pepboys, car quest, the local Honda dealership, and about 8 other places do not have this bolt in stock. So now my car is sitting in my parents driveway in Fredericksburg, VA and I was stuck taking my dad's truck back to Baltimore. Still pissed about the whole thing...

Anyway, my dad said that sometimes these bolts are made of a weaker steel that's designed to strip when it's removed... safety precaution. So you'd need a new bolt every time it gets unscrewed. That really seemed to be the case, especially after we tried reusing it and basically stripped the threads completely off with almost no torque on the ratchet (manual torque, not pneumatic). A mechanic at a local shop said he's replaced dozens of calipers on Hondas and assured me the bolt is not supposed to strip. So what's the deal? Why did it strip so easily? Has anyone else had this issue? Do calipers and/or lines typically come with banjo bolts?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4
Fat Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 18th, 2013, 06:29 PM   #2

Seems like a caliper should come with the banjo bolt, but maybe not.
BLCKFLSH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 18th, 2013, 06:41 PM   #3

Doesn't appear so. I ended up ordering two from the local dealership. Got ripped off bad... $21 for both. Turns out the stripped bolt wasn't even the right banjo bolt for the caliper. I should sue my old mechanic because that could have resulted in complete brake failure. Had to make the long trek back to my parents the next weekend to finish the job, but it's done now and everything seems good.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Old October 19th, 2013, 11:45 AM   #4

I would ask that mechanic what the hell happened, and let him know he isn't getting any repeat business from me. He should have to pay for the trouble he caused IMO. Glad you got the situation resolved.
BLCKFLSH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 19th, 2013, 11:50 AM   #5

Thanks. Yeah, I don't know why he would do that. He was actually a really great mechanic, reasonably priced, did good work, and didn't try to sell you a bunch of crap you don't need. I wonder if maybe it was another guy at his shop who did the work. He was always the one who I spoke with every time, so I assumed he was the one performing the work. But who knows. I don't live anywhere near the area now but I think some of my friends and family still go there. I should probably let them know.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in