build adapter to flush trans fluid? - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD TECHNICAL DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 21st, 2013, 01:49 PM   #1
Wingdreamer

build adapter to flush trans fluid?

Since I'm such a die hard Honda owner and I'm pretty fussy about maintenance.... I'm looking at making a "tool" that will allow me to unhook the banjo fitting at the external trans filter housing and flush it. As we all know (and do), we all just drain and refill the transmission several times to "change" the fluid. I want to disconnect this fitting, hook another fitting to the hose/banjo fitting, run that hose to an empty container. Run another line from a jug of new trans fluid and hook that hose to the inlet/banjo fitting at the filter. Basically hook this up in-line, start the car, pump the old fluid into the bucket, and draw the fresh fluid into the housing containing the filter. (at this stage, I am making an assumption that the direction of flow is into the filter....)
Planning on going to my local transmission shop, acquire 2 banjo lines and and make something up. This should guarantee that ALL old fluid is pushed out of the torque convertor and cooler at one time. It might still take 9 quarts to do the job, but it will be 100% first time.
What do you think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 22nd, 2013, 04:22 PM   #2

The main thing I would be worried about is getting the new fluid to go into the transmission, at the same rate the old fluid comes out. You could easily either over or under fill the transmission if it's not done right.
BLCKFLSH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 22nd, 2013, 10:46 PM   #3
The Jester

If Chevy doesn't think that trans flushes are a good idea, and they invented the transmission, I would have to say trans flushes area bad idea.

Change out 3.3 qt of your trans fluid every oil change, new full fluid every 15k isn't bad. Considering that the factory recommendation is every 75k

This is equivalent to changing your oil every 1000 miles...
oraclem19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old November 4th, 2013, 08:26 PM   #4

Things to consider. It's probably necessary to shift the transmission through all the gears, including reverse, to circulate the fluid through all the valves etc. How long would it take to get all of the old fluid in the torque converter exchanged with new, and how many quarts would you use up in the process of all this? Also, considering most of the metal particles in the transmission have settled at the bottom, and on the drain plug magnet. No amount of flushing will get that all out, but a drain from the drain plug, while the fluid is hot, will drain most of it. Seems like a good idea, to replace all the fluid, but in this case it just isn't possible IMO.
BLCKFLSH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in