Hard to start in cold temps?! - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD TECHNICAL DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 13th, 2013, 01:30 PM   #1

Hard to start in cold temps?!

here's my story:
I recently had my battery die on me because i left the radio on to long while working on the car and had to push start it and drive it around a while. Ever since that happened everytime i start my car(in any temp) it acts funny, as in acts like its "rough" to start. Also I always have my outside temp and trip A showing on the dash, and now everytime I start it, it goes back to mileage and trip A.
this morning it was 39degrees out and when I tried to start it, it took about 6 seconds and sounded like it was "almost" turning over but i had to give it gas for it to start. When i got to work i shut it off and tried to start it again, and it started normally(the rough start). Could this be battery or started related?
Chaosta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 13th, 2013, 01:36 PM   #2

did you get a new battery? Its probably just getting cold. My car takes a while in 30*F compared to 50-70*F. Nothing like 6 sec tho.
thisaznboi88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 13th, 2013, 02:09 PM   #3
1st Gear

Same issue mine takes an extra second to crack over as compared to "normal outside temps".

Like thisaznboi said check your battery and or replace it if your having issues before you get stranded.
AloneInDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old November 13th, 2013, 02:57 PM   #4

sounds like you need a battery with higher CCA.
bozos_si is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 13th, 2013, 04:08 PM   #5

I was thinking of going with an optima, maybe ill have to get one sooner now lol. I didnt get a new battery i just recharged it and idk how old the battery is
Old November 13th, 2013, 04:10 PM   #6

I think its gonna be cold in the morning before work, Ill record myself starting it tomorrow
Old November 13th, 2013, 07:54 PM   #7
▒JDM KING▒

Could be a thick/old engine oil too.
MuGen7Modulo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 14th, 2013, 12:08 AM   #8
GET ITT!!

Do you have an i4? I had the same problem last winter. Sometimes it took second crank and it was always a rough start. I just bought an optima yellow top for the v6. D35 I believe. Temps right now are in the 20s at lowest and it starts fine and my cranks have always been consistent.
BenC92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 14th, 2013, 01:13 AM   #9
The Jester

Rough start is going to be either battery, or something resisting on the motor. Oil, crud, gunk in the fuel lines, etc.

If your battery is older than a year and a standard lead acid, switch to an Optima, Kinetic, or XS Energy.
If your oil hasn't been full synth or changed irregularly, get over to a synthetic and get some Auto-Rx in the crankcase to clean it up.
Run fuel injector cleaner through the tank to clean out the injectors.

Old spark plugs? Fouled or nearly fouled spark plugs can cause lighting issues until they heat up and burn the crud off.
oraclem19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 14th, 2013, 09:14 AM   #10
yal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaosta View Post
here's my story:
I recently had my battery die on me because i left the radio on to long while working on the car and had to push start it and drive it around a while. Ever since that happened everytime i start my car(in any temp) it acts funny, as in acts like its "rough" to start. Also I always have my outside temp and trip A showing on the dash, and now everytime I start it, it goes back to mileage and trip A.
this morning it was 39degrees out and when I tried to start it, it took about 6 seconds and sounded like it was "almost" turning over but i had to give it gas for it to start. When i got to work i shut it off and tried to start it again, and it started normally(the rough start). Could this be battery or started related?
Its the battery.
Sometimes when you completely drain an old battery, or a battery that is past its half life, you can shorten its service life dramatically.
You can try taking it for a long drive on a high way (at least an hour) and see if your alternator can get the battery back up to nominal. If not, just get a new battery.
yal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 14th, 2013, 01:25 PM   #11

possibility on plugs, the oil is changed every 3k miles (last change 1k ago) mobile 1 full synthetic. car acts and drives perfectly normal once running. also v6 j30a4. lights done dim or anything when ac turns on or radio ect... Think im try a new battery, since I have no idea how old this current one is
Old November 14th, 2013, 01:34 PM   #12

Well it didnt do the 6+second start this morning, but you can still see the roughness of the start and where the outside temp reverts back to the mileage Start up - YouTube
Old November 14th, 2013, 07:06 PM   #13
The Jester

Battery, plugs.
oraclem19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in