Stock heater wont work after 3rd party install - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD TECHNICAL DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 5th, 2013, 10:43 AM   #1

Stock heater wont work after 3rd party install

I recently bought an 03 accord v6 coupe ex. It had an aftermarket headunit/heater in it. The unit only blew from the vents and could only control the drivers side temp (car was dual zone originally) passenger side blows cool all the time. Being that its winter time, I really need defrost.

I went looking for a stock head unit. I tried a 6 disc dual zone(which was stock on my car) at the junk yard and the screen came up asking for a code(as expected) but the hvac controls did not light up at all. They were completely black and nothing worked on that end. Figuring it was broken, I passed that one up and kept looking and found another unit. Same issues with this unit. I bought it assuming, both units having the same issues is unlikely and its probably my car. THe 2 green plugs that (i think) control the heater do not look molested in any way. The light blue plug for the radio does look like its has something spliced out of it. Yellow wire green stripe. I have checked all fuses traced the heater plugs etc. I am out of guesses here and hope someone has experienced this before. Here are some pictures to help.
themow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 5th, 2013, 10:44 AM   #2

&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">
&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">
&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">
Old December 5th, 2013, 11:31 AM   #3
Honda enthusiast

It's actually quite possible that the two units from the junkyard had problems. There is a issue with our cars where the hvac screen and button lights all burn out due to a faulty circuit board in the stock radio. Both of the junkyard units could have had the issue and the reason the previous owner installed that junk is probably due to the black screen issue, there is a tsb on it and it calls for replacing the circuit board. Many dealers charged our brothers and sisters $1,000 or more for total replacement when a $170 circuit board is the real issue.
michaellowrider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old December 5th, 2013, 01:36 PM   #4
Carpe Diem

Audio System Wiring Harness
Radio 12v - white/green - (+)
Radio Ground - black - (-)
Radio Ignition - yellow/red - (+)
Radio Illumination - red/black - (+)
Power Antenna - yellow/green - (+)
Left Front Speaker
green/black - (+)
light green - (-)
Right Front Speaker
green/yellow - (+)
gray or gray/red - (-)
Left Rear Speaker
blue/white or blue - (+)
blue/black or pink - (-)
Right Rear Speaker
pink or green - (+)
blue/yellow or purple - (-)

Check the Radio Illumination - red/black - (+)
ikethegreat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 5th, 2013, 05:28 PM   #5
Honda enthusiast

It could be one or more problems. Your HVAC may have an issue (like a stuck blend door) as well as the wiring and/or controls.
Old December 19th, 2013, 09:28 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaellowrider View Post
It's actually quite possible that the two units from the junkyard had problems. There is a issue with our cars where the hvac screen and button lights all burn out due to a faulty circuit board in the stock radio. Both of the junkyard units could have had the issue and the reason the previous owner installed that junk is probably due to the black screen issue, there is a tsb on it and it calls for replacing the circuit board. Many dealers charged our brothers and sisters $1,000 or more for total replacement when a $170 circuit board is the real issue.
I heard that the units still function but you cant see anything when this happens

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaellowrider View Post
It could be one or more problems. Your HVAC may have an issue (like a stuck blend door) as well as the wiring and/or controls.
How would a stuck blend door not make any lights or controls com on on my radio/heater unit?

I am going to check the voltage now
Old December 19th, 2013, 09:44 AM   #7
Honda enthusiast

The lights not coming on is the backlight tsb issue like I was saying, the blend door issue could be why your ish isn't blowing right, a stuck blend door has nothing to do with lights bud.
Old December 19th, 2013, 10:05 AM   #8

it not blowing right has nothing to do with the fact that the hvac unit does not work or power on at all (with or without lights.) If I could get the stock unit to blow(hot or cold or unchangeable) then I would go from there. A stuck blend door is far down the road since I cant get the stock unit to produce any airflow.

Additionally, My question is Does the unit still funtion with the backlight tsb issue? Can You still select where the air comes from etc? I know it wont have lights
Old December 21st, 2013, 04:25 PM   #9
Honda enthusiast

Yes, everything should still function on the stock unit even if the backlight issue is present. Shining a strong flashlight onto the screen will make it possible to see the lcd display. There is also the radio code problem as well. I'm not sure if the hvac controls will work without the code. The radio for sure will not work without the code.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in