Another key/programming question - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD TECHNICAL DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 31st, 2014, 05:08 PM   #1

Another key/programming question

Hey guys, so i really want to get this clear.
- I only have one key and it has finally gone through too much and it needs replacing.

-What steps do i need to go through to get this key fixed as well as a another spare key to have (full key with fob of course)

- i was thinking of going with these:

2 uncut regular styled keys
2 New Uncut Ignition Chip Key Pair Keyless Entry Remote Fob for OUCG8D 380H A | eBay

just for kicks, wouldn't mind having but i know the key latching screws up after a couple years
New Replacement Coupe Sedan Uncut Keyless Entry Key Car Remote Fob Flip Key | eBay

And i was actually considering using this service offered on ebay,
Acura Honda High Security Laser Key Cut Service Same Day Shipping | eBay

HOWEVER, those people obviously only cut the key, they don't program it. So no matter what i need to have this key/keys programmed by Honda?

cliff
- I would buy the key or keys and have them cut, but they still won't work until its programmed which can cost from free-$150? What are your experiences
nismoasfuh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 5th, 2014, 06:32 PM   #2

I actually have that flip key and I use it as my primary key lol. I got it for a lot cheaper though, I don't remember the seller.

I don't have any experience with programming the remote or the immobilizer, so I only know the the dealership charges hundreds of dollars for this 5 minute service.

When it comes to key cutting though, don't use that $30 service! The Honda dealership will (or at least should) cut your blank keys for free if you provide them your VIN and registration.

If your current key's immobilizer chip still allows the car to turn on, that chip can be removed from the old key and placed into the new key without having to program it - same with the remote. I suggest getting only one key programmed, get both keys cut, then go home and transfer your immobilizer chip and remote to the second new key.
dannyrl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 7th, 2014, 05:16 PM   #3

yea i would've just liked to have at least 2 FULLY working/programmed keys. But yup I'm just going to get a flip key and put my chip into that one after getting the blade cut.

how has yours been holding up? Did honda cut the fake Acura key without asking questions? Was it still easy to put the chip into it?

Old June 7th, 2014, 08:53 PM   #4

My flip key has been alright. I've had it for about 2 years now and sometimes the blade doesn't catch when folding in, but other than that, it's fine.

The buttons of the flip key are also a little weird. Instead of the buttons of your remote coming out of the housing, they provide buttons that you put on top of the buttons on your remote.

Swapping the chip was the hardest part but it wasn't that bad. And Honda didn't really ask any questions when I gave them the blank to cut. I took apart the key and just gave them the blank and told them it was a spare key to unlock the car
dannyrl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 8th, 2014, 01:20 PM   #5

ahhhh good idea, hey thanks man! appreciate the help and you answered all my questions.
Old July 27th, 2014, 05:12 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by nismoasfuh View Post
Hey guys, so i really want to get this clear.
- I only have one key and it has finally gone through too much and it needs replacing.

-What steps do i need to go through to get this key fixed as well as a another spare key to have (full key with fob of course)

- i was thinking of going with these:

2 uncut regular styled keys
2 New Uncut Ignition Chip Key Pair Keyless Entry Remote Fob for OUCG8D 380H A | eBay

just for kicks, wouldn't mind having but i know the key latching screws up after a couple years
New Replacement Coupe Sedan Uncut Keyless Entry Key Car Remote Fob Flip Key | eBay

And i was actually considering using this service offered on ebay,
Acura Honda High Security Laser Key Cut Service Same Day Shipping | eBay

HOWEVER, those people obviously only cut the key, they don't program it. So no matter what i need to have this key/keys programmed by Honda?

cliff
- I would buy the key or keys and have them cut, but they still won't work until its programmed which can cost from free-$150? What are your experiences
here's what I did.

my original key housing broke. I bought a blank with the key fob holes off amazon. I swapped my key fob buttons over to the new key housing, pulled the microchip out of the old key housing (pick and a tiny flathead should do it), i put the microchip and the little top cover from the old housing in, and put a little clear nail polish in on top of the microchip to hold it in and put the door in place.

then i took the key to a locksmith, and had him copy my original to the new key.

total cost was $35. $30 for the key copy, $5 for the housing.

works to perfection. no reprogramming of the fob, no purchasing a new microchip and having it programmed. just swapped it all over, and had the key cut. too easy.
WyattEarp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in