I just purchased an 03 coupe and need help with TCS - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD TECHNICAL DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 2nd, 2015, 08:40 AM   #1

I just purchased an 03 coupe and need help with TCS

I just got the car and we have a foot of snow today the car won't drive in the snow it stays at 10 mph and I live on all hill area how do I turn the TCS off so I can try to hit the hills with more power
mike55 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 2nd, 2015, 08:52 AM   #2
Calm like a bomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike55 View Post
I just got the car and we have a foot of snow today the car won't drive in the snow it stays at 10 mph and I live on all hill area how do I turn the TCS off so I can try to hit the hills with more power
You should have a button next to your steering wheel to the left that says TCS. Push it. Push it real good. lol
FYI, turning off TCS is not going to give you MORE power. It will only prevent the engine from cutting power to a certain wheel. Almost like a LSD but nowhere near as capable.
StevilKnievel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 2nd, 2015, 08:57 AM   #3

TCS won't apply the brakes to the car. It doesn't act like an LSD. Power does not transfer to the tire with more grip. Good luck getting up that hill without snow tires.
thisaznboi88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old February 2nd, 2015, 09:26 AM   #4

Pretty sure you guys are both correct to a point. TCS monitors engine output based on what the wheel sensors are reporting. In our cars it does not transfer power to the wheel that's not slipping, this is done in the shawd acuras. What it does, i believe, it cut the throttle when it detects a slip in any of the drive wheels. In some cars, tcs cuts fuel to certain cylinders.

On the other side, it does monitor the abs system and cuts power when the brakes lock up on a specific wheel. This is why when you have a faulty brake light switch, the tcs light comes on and stays on.

In regards to the OPs question, just push it lol. Tho the tcs is suppose to help, it's not always the case and sometimes it's better if you feather the throttle yourself. Like Ken said, get a set of snow tires up front or get a lsd installed/tl tranny.
Rich01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 2nd, 2015, 09:38 AM   #5
Calm like a bomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisaznboi88 View Post
TCS won't apply the brakes to the car. It doesn't act like an LSD. Power does not transfer to the tire with more grip. Good luck getting up that hill without snow tires.
What TCS does in the 03-05 is cut throttle when it senses wheel spin. I never implied that it applied the brakes. Technically, it is an open differential but I assumed the OP would have no idea what that means so I was trying to give an approximation as to the general idea of the system. TCS on or off in these cars will not cause both wheels to spin. If you have equal traction on both sides with TCS OFF both will spin, assuming the tires don't have sufficient traction. If one side has traction and the other does not, the side with LESS traction will spin with TCS OFF. With TCS ON either way (lopside traction or not) the system will retard the throttle to eliminate wheel spin to what ever tire is spinning. Not helpful in OP situation. Turning TCS off in the snow just makes the car a bit more predictable when you DO lose traction i.e. drifting with the e-brake etc. And as thisaznboi88 said, get some snow tires.
StevilKnievel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 2nd, 2015, 10:53 AM   #6

lets try VSA here
accord325 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 2nd, 2015, 11:54 AM   #7

^ there we go. lol VSA cut throttle. TCS applies brakes.
thisaznboi88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 2nd, 2015, 12:23 PM   #8

1. Wait for plows to come by.
2. Buy snow tires.

Turning TCS off in snow doesn't last very long before the computer automatically puts it back on (at least from my experience trying to do donuts eh!)

If your going on 10mph in the snow try a higher gear until you get better traction. End of the day though you just need winter tires where you live.
State.Of.Prime is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 2nd, 2015, 05:41 PM   #9
Honda enthusiast

To clarify, the 03-05's use TCS which uses wheel speed sensors to detect acceleration wheel spin and applies brakes to spinning wheel(s) to control traction. Turning off TCS disables the system until manually re-activated or shut down and restarted.
michaellowrider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 12th, 2015, 07:33 AM   #10

Hey thanks for all the feed back appreciate it and when I turned the TCS off the car made it up the hill way better than with it on I will get snows it just hit us with 16" the day after I bought the car lol upstate ny sucks ass in the winter.
mike55 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in